How do I install a Q6600?

I bought the q6600 I have the 680i 775 mobo. I never installed a CPU before.

does heat sink come in the CPU box? I also saw a picture of my mobo. It had a metal pipe that looked like it covered the CPU. Would this replace heat sink?
26 answers Last reply
More about install q6600
  1. googleads said:
    I bought the q6600 I have the 680i 775 mobo. I never installed a CPU before.

    does heat sink come in the CPU box? I also saw a picture of my mobo. It had a metal pipe that looked like it covered the CPU. Would this replace heat sink?


    Your MB manual should have an explanation and a lot of pictures describing the installation of a cpu.
  2. If you bought a retail in the box Q6600 then there should be a heatsink in the box. What you have to do is pick up the metal levler and insert the cpu. A lot of time there is a triangle on the cpu and the mobo. And you just match it up. Then put on the thermal grease to the cpu, a small layer across the cpu. And set the heatsink on top make sure it snaps in and connect the power from the heatsink to the mobo.
  3. Retail cpu's generally come with a heatsink/fan. (with the exception of AMD's 6400+ to my understanding).

    OEM cpu's generally do NOT come with a heatsink/fan.

    Every retail CPU I have purchased came with instructions specific to that cpu and socket.

    Be patient and do everything carefully. If you need help once you get your parts let us know.
  4. Yes the heat sink comes with the cpu. It's aluminum alloy I think so it's not great but it works. The heat sink on the mb is probably not related to the cpu.

    Try google, as your name has indicated, "how to build a pc". It's a lot easier to read those than us telling you how cause they have pics that show step by step process.
  5. X2 6400 doesnt have heatsink?!!!
  6. I never opened it but I can see a fan in the CPU pacckage so there must be heat sink on the side.

    If I understand this right

    1. Put the CPU chip and match it with the triangle
    2. put the grease or paste on the chip.
    3. put the heat sink on the glue
    4.connect the power to heat sink (dont know why it needs power guess it has to do with the fan)
    5. ehhh I see a fan...does this sit on top of the heat sink ?
  7. googleads said:
    I never opened it but I can see a fan in the CPU pacckage so there must be heat sink on the side.

    If I understand this right

    1. Put the CPU chip and match it with the triangle
    2. put the grease or paste on the chip.
    3. put the heat sink on the glue
    4.connect the power to heat sink (dont know why it needs power guess it has to do with the fan)
    5. ehhh I see a fan...does this sit on top of the heat sink ?


    Open your motherboard manual and read 'installing a cpu". It's all there. It answers all your questions with step by step instruction.
  8. 1. Yes
    2. Not required, there is thermal paste applied already, no more is required.
    3. Put heatsink on CPU and push legs down until you hear a soft 'click'
    4. Yes and Yes
    5. Yes
  9. Mousemonkey said:
    1. Yes
    2. Not required, there is thermal paste applied already, no more is required.
    3. Put heatsink on CPU and push legs down until you hear a soft 'click'
    4. Yes and Yes
    5. Yes


    in addition to mouses comments

    I assume its still the std intel cooler, so the legs may require a more than a little force to make the click, work corner to corner, and if it doesn't click it will not have seated properly, this is best done with mobo out of case, so get it right first time, and you'll save yourself a lot of effort.
  10. I think the best installation directions may come with the processor, rather than in the motherboard manual.
  11. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    I think the best installation directions may come with the processor, rather than in the motherboard manual.

    The subtle way of saying "RTFM" :whistle:
  12. You don't seem to know an awful about this. If i were you I would get afriend who does know something to help you. Intel fans are not the easiest things to fit if you have never done this before.
  13. Don't sweat it though. I remember the first time I installed a proc and I was soooo nervous. Now I do it all the time at work when I warranty parts for our Dell fleet. (never had a proc go bad, but to swap out a motherboard you've got to take the proc out and put it in the new board)
  14. Video on 775 Socket... just in case.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6NbPMQgwPM
  15. Maziar said:
    X2 6400 doesnt have heatsink?!!!

    You mean to tell me the retail version doesn't come with a heat-sink of any sort,
    I had planned to water-cool the CPU anyway..........
  16. mad-dog said:
    You mean to tell me the retail version doesn't come with a heat-sink of any sort,
    I had planned to water-cool the CPU anyway..........


    That's the information that I saw. My theory is that it requires some pretty heavy cooling. The 6400, like many of the prescott Pentiums, is basically designed to be overclocked. The 6400 is a stretch, just carefully binned products operating with no overhead.

    I think AMD's decision not to package with a cooler is for two reasons:

    1) Standard cooling won't work with this factory overclock product
    2) They can blame your own cooling solution when your processor doesn't work as advertised
  17. http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=657891 :ouch:
    It's called the black edition because that's the colour of the charcoal that your PC is likely to become. :lol:
  18. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    That's the information that I saw. My theory is that it requires some pretty heave cooling. The 6400, like many of the prescott Pentiums, is basically designed to be overclocked. The 6400 is a stretch, just carefully binned products operating with no overhead.

    I think AMD's decision not to package with a cooler is for two reasons:

    1) Standard cooling won't work with this factory overclock product
    2) They can blame your own cooling solution when you processor doesn't work as advertised

    3) It runs so cool it actually requires heating to prevent it from over-cooling
  19. mad-dog said:
    3) It runs so cool it actually requires heating to prevent it from over-cooling


    LOL
  20. Mousemonkey said:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=657891 :ouch:
    It's called the black edition because that's the colour of the charcoal that your PC is likely to become. :lol:

    I can't stop laughing, ur killin me bro.....roflmao
  21. £163.78 Inc VAT ? for £121.25 u can get a E6750 , or even u can get Q6600 for £176 which is £13 more expensive
  22. Maziar said:
    u can get Q6600 for £176 which is £13 more expensive

    http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=3_5&products_id=5383&osCsid=f8827381a5dec42606e6ec4eff30fd5d No, only £7, heh heh :p
  23. yeah , thats right even lower price
  24. Even less if you are up for a bit of haggling. :whistle:
  25. shove it in the slot! Wait... you'll void your warranty... BETTER read the manual
  26. The best way to install your new processor if your using the intel heatsink, is to install the processor and the heatsink outside of the case. Put the processor in first and then install the heatsink. There are instructions with your processor how to put the processor in. You can also look on the internet and find how to install your new processor. Remember to lean your motherboard on top of the motherboard box and the foam (within your new motherboard box). Buy installing outside you will beable to see that all the pins go through. Most cause of overheating on any of the processors is because the heatsink is not installed properly.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Heat Product