exarrkun

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
hi all

a few weeks ago i bought myself a new pc, and i must say i'm very happy with it :)

unfortunately, there has been one issue from the start and it is really starting to annoy me now
I set up a raid-0 array with two seagate 320Gb disks and I store all my games on it to achieve maximum speed
no problem, games work just fine.
however, when I'm surfing or typing or doing something else less intensive than gaming, I always hear my harddrives stop working ( at least I think they are, its really a 'shutting down' noise and definately comes from the raid-0 drives).
no problem with that, I'm not against energy saving...
the problem is, when I need a finle or anything from these drives after this has happened, it takes a full ten seconds for the program to respond an open the file
f.e. Winamp is playing, and suddenly it switches to a new song
if I check the task manager during these ten seconds, Winamp isn't responding... but after the hard drives are powered on again (and you clearly hear the drives power on again during these ten seconds) everything goes back to normal again and the music starts playing again
obviously my music is also stored on those drives.
tried it with saving a word document to the drive, same result, ten seconds of not-responding and then the file saves...

is this an energy saving feature, or is it something else? :??:

thanks for helping me out

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Check your Power Option Properties.

Right click on (Screen) - click (Screen Saver) - click (Power) - change (Turn Off hardware) to never or change the Power Schemes.

Check your bios as well and change power scheme if setup is assigned to power down Hard Drive.

-Right click an empy spot on the desktop
-Click Properties
-Select Screen Saver(Tab)
-Click Power
-Set the Turn off hard disks to "Never"
hddpowerdownty7.gif

If it still happens your going to have to see if there is a bios based option for it....many boards have it(But its normally disabled)....

Rexter beat me to it....but pictures are fun :)