Sign in with
Your question

What’s the most quiet Geforce 8800 GTS 320 MB?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2007 11:51:38 PM

Hi,

Well, the title pretty much says it all. :)  I’m looking for a 8800 GTS card w. 320 MB RAM that is quiet, especially in 2D.

At the moment I’m leaning towards the Asus EN8800GTS/HTDP/320M. Do you think I can find one that is more quiet than that?

Thanks in advance,
LC
September 17, 2007 12:17:04 AM

Any 8800 GTS that is water cooled......
September 17, 2007 12:33:58 AM

Only water cooling...otherwise it depends on the case's sound proofing (if any) because they are all loud. I have two in sli and I am lucky that I don't care about noise.

Although I might be going tone deaf...what? repeat louder please...:) 
Related resources
September 17, 2007 12:56:06 AM

Thanks for replying, Phreejack and Bornking. As for the water cooled cards, aren't they bigger than the regular cards, or something? I'm a little concerned about how many slots in the MOBO will be blocked.

Btw, can you recommend a waterproofed card? I haven't come accross any in my research (I'm in Denmark, maybe the supply is more limited here).

Other than that, I read in a review that the Asus card was pretty quiet. Does anybody have experiences with the card and can back this up?

September 17, 2007 12:58:57 AM

(I meant "water cooled", not "waterproofed") :) 
September 17, 2007 1:57:22 AM

I have an Evga 8800GTS 640, and I don't find it loud at all in my Sonata II. I ripped out all the case heat channeling and tossed it a long time ago (like most other Sonata users), and I really don't find it noisy.
September 17, 2007 2:28:17 AM

I have the Inno3D gts 320.
Same as the reference card, and i have a water cooled sys, very quiet, and i cant hear the fan over anything.
Still, went for a thermalright cooler, just as quiet, just cooler.
a b Î Nvidia
September 17, 2007 2:33:11 AM

They're all about the same.

Sparkle seems quieter but it has a special type of cooler which in fact makes the total heat in the case and power consumption go up, so I wouldn't go for that.

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2953&p=12
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf8800gts320MB-roundup_8.html#sect0

I would recommend BFG because they have some very innovative coolers that do handle noise well. I got a BFG 8800 GTX OC2 and can't hear it while watching movies or playing Diablo. As far as quality goes eVGA, BFG and XFX get the best reviews.

Edit: and yeah, the case matters a lot here. An Antec P182 would solve the problem nicely.
September 17, 2007 3:09:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. :) 

Btw, are there any differences in the size of the cards from the various manufacturers? I'm going to be using one or more PCI-sound cards, and I'm a little concerned that the 8800 will block them.

Aevm, that is the case I was planning on getting. :) 

(Though it will also block a PCI-slot, from what I've read.)
a b Î Nvidia
September 17, 2007 3:22:07 AM

Several sound cards? That's a new concept for me... Why not just one?

If it helps. I got a GA-P35C-DS3R and my BFG 8800 GTX does not block any PCI slot. It's a pretty intelligent mobo layout, I guess. I have 3 PCI slots, using the 1st and 3rd, and the one in the middle is fine, I can always stick a tuner or something in there. I hear you can't do this with an Asus P35 mobo and an 8800 GTX. I don't know about GTS cards, those may be thinner.
September 17, 2007 3:48:43 AM

Geez, more than one soundcard? I have found my SB 24 bit OEM for 20$ SO adequate that I am going to have it buried with me.
September 17, 2007 4:18:51 AM

Hehe. Well, to be honest I'm not really sure why you'd need more than one sound card. But as you (Aevm) may remember I want to use the PC to record music, and most people who do so seem to have several cards. I haven't really gotten around to figuring out which cards do what task yet, I've just been focusing on the main PC components. :) 

Aevm, thanks, that's good to know about the GA-board. Do you have the P182 case too? It would really ease my mind to know that an 8800 card could fit in a P182 case without blocking any of the PCI-slots.

Oh by the way, do you know what PCI-revision the GA-board has? On their website it just says "3 PCI slots".

Cheers,
LC :) 
a b Î Nvidia
September 17, 2007 1:35:37 PM

I've got a Silverstone TJ09.

I've got revision 1 of the P35C, and revision 2.0 is already available. The physical layout is very much the same though.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2631
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2626

There's a lot of room between the PCI-E and the closest PCI (see pictures). The video card won't interfere with PCI in revisions 2 either.

OK, if you're serious about the music then I guess it makes sense to have multiple sound cards. I hope your software won't get too confused. Here's my little horror story: I got two DVD burners, and audiograbber sees one of them (at random, I think) every time. It never sees both, and I haven't figured out what to do about it :) 

Edit: oops, you mean revision of PCI, not revision of the mobo. No idea. I thought PCI was all the same, and PCI-E was the one with revisions. If I remmeber my history right they invented PCI, then AGP, then PCI-E 1, and now PCI-E 2. Don't remember a PCI 1 or PCI 2, for example. I may be wrong. Anyway, I'm sure they got the latest type and it will work with PCI cards you can buy these days.

September 18, 2007 3:01:32 AM

Thanks a bunch for your reply, Aevm.

About the different mobo-revisions and their layout: The boards you linked to were the ga-p35-ds3r (not 35c), rev.1., and the ga-p35c-ds3r, rev.2. They don’t seem to have a page for the ga-p35c-ds3r, rev.1 (the one you have) anymore. But you said it looks the same as the new ones, PCI-slot-wise, right?

Anyway, the GA-DS3 series looks more and more interesting. However, since I don’t need raid or DDR3-memory, maybe I could just go for the ”plain” ga-p35-ds3. Here’s a picture:

http://www.giga-byte.com/FileList/Image/motherboard_pro...

It looks a lot like the other ones, so I shouldn’t have any problems, right?

By the way, a while back I came accross a post on another forum where someone wrote the following about the DS3-series: ”I was looking at the Gigabyte boards and they seem to have very poor board layout - am I the only one thinking this? The SATA and IDE slots block a long PCI card. ... Also, the south bridge looks like it will block long PCIe 1x boards - unless it is a low heatsink.”

What do you make of this? Personally I have no idea what he’s talking about, but that may be due to my profound ignorance about computer hardware. :) 

About the PCI-revisions, they have names like 2.2, 2.1, and so on. I did some research a few months ago about their compatibility, but unfortunately I’ve forgotten what I found out. ;) 

Thanks again for your help.

a b Î Nvidia
September 18, 2007 1:59:59 PM

Yeah, I don't know why they have to make it all so complicated. Your safest bet is probably the GA-P35-DS3R, it's the bestselling motherboard these days and I'm sure there's a good reason for that :) 
September 18, 2007 11:30:33 PM

Thanks, aevm, I'll check it out.
September 20, 2007 10:38:33 PM

I've just installed the EVGA 880GTS 320mb Superclcocked and it's in all honesty, 'silent' ! it's the quietest gpu I've ever used.

I'd do a recording for you....but you wouldn't be able to hear anything...and it's fan cooled too.

It's running inside a Dell Dimension 9100.
!