Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 Heat Issue

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 3, 2007 2:33:11 AM

I'm having a bit of a heat problem with my Q6600. My core's are running between 50-58C while idling (based on CoreTemps readings while idle). I've been using the computer for a few weeks now and have had no problems in games like Bioshock with crashing or any of that. I have no intentions of overclocking it. I do have the 3 year warranty, so my mindset is that if it works and it doesn't warn me about everything and fails early, it's under warranty so it's not my problem. Is there any reason for me to buy a new heatsink? I don't really see any reason to if it works and is under warranty (I plan on getting a new computer before 3 years anyways).

Thanks

EDIT: And before anyone asks, I have tried reseating the heatsink with new thermal paste twice. It's on securely.

Oh, and the ambient temperature is usually 77-80F (25 - 27C)

One last thing, it's not a case ventilation problem...I have the XCLIO Windtunnel (one of the 250MM fans on full is blowing directly on to the CPU cooler).

More about : q6600 heat issue

September 3, 2007 3:15:28 AM

Did you check to make sure your heatsink is nice and flat? It seems like I've seen a lot of posts lately about concave heatsinks and people needing to lap them in order to get good results.

Another thing to check would be if there is a more recent bios revision out for you mobo that might have fixed a previous problem about invalid sensor readings.
September 3, 2007 3:17:01 AM

I haven't really looked to see if the heatsink is flat. As for the BIOS, it's all up to date.

The big issue for me is, is it worth fixing the problem or should I just rely on my warranty?
Related resources
September 3, 2007 3:24:49 AM

Depends, if you wanna keep it more than 3 years, I wouldn't turn it on again. :pt1cable: 

Putting on a third-party heatsink voids the warranty, but I can guarantee you that thing will last a LOT longer if you can drag the temperatures down to 50c or lower on all the cores.
September 3, 2007 3:31:22 AM

That settles it! Stock heatsink it is! ;p
September 3, 2007 4:01:07 AM

thermalright 120 extreme will lower temps about 20c over stock under load. (they did for me)
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2007 4:09:16 AM

If you install a new heatsink it will void your CPU warranty. I'd try to exchange the CPU first.

My Q6600 shows 31 Celsius at idle in CoreTemp, and the highest temp I've seen so far is 51 Celsius (with all 4 cores around 80%). I have a Scythe Ninja and an S-Flex fan on each side of the cooler, I bet that helps, but the difference is too big IMO. Your CPU is not normal, get another.

September 3, 2007 4:37:57 AM

How is Intel going to know that you used an after market HS? They won't of course. Get a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme, as per cory1234. Add a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F fan. Your heat troubles will disappear. Make sure your case is deep enough, it is tall. You keep talking about having no concerns because of your warranty. What about the fact that you will be without a computer for however long it takes to get a replacement, plus shipping costs etc. etc.
September 3, 2007 6:42:04 AM

Zorg said:
How is Intel going to know that you used an after market HS? They won't of course. Get a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme, as per cory1234. Add a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F fan. Your heat troubles will disappear. Make sure your case is deep enough, it is tall. You keep talking about having no concerns because of your warranty. What about the fact that you will be without a computer for however long it takes to get a replacement, plus shipping costs etc. etc.

Thermalright has a new model, an ultra 90 that should have no issues fitting almost any case. It gives up a bit of cooling, but still is in the top ranks. Anandtech's review...

http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i...
September 3, 2007 6:55:17 AM

I just saw that on another thread. It looks good.

!