tekster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I am trying to figure out a problem my network is having. It seems as the switches stop communicating with the rest of the network, about every 7 days. They are 3com Baseline 2024 switches. I am wondering if there are any known issues with this out now? I have not been able to find anything on any sites thus far. Also, if it is not the switches, I was wondering if it may be the vmware sessions that stop communicating? Thanks

tekster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008

bump ^^^^

azmtbkr81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
It may be that you have a switching loop somewhere in your network, although ususally a switching loop takes much less than 7 days to take everything down.

Trace all of the cables going into the switches and make sure that each switch has only a single cable connecting it to other switches, you can have multiple switches connected to a single switch but you should never have 2 cables connecting the same 2 switches unless the switches are running spanning tree (I highly doubt yours are).

Also make sure that you don't have both ends of a single cable plugged into a single switch, I know it sounds stupid but I've seen it happen.

Good luck and let us know what you find.