Sign in with
Your question

opinions on my build

Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2007 5:02:26 PM

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWis...

my rig will be used for gaming,video encoding,music and photo i would like to know if this is a very good build that will last me for a good while i already have a case and os as for a lcd ill be getting a dell 24" lcd for about $586. also if anyone have advice to give me feel free to let me know

More about : opinions build

August 31, 2007 5:35:37 PM

I like the Q6600 and Z-5500 and SeaSonic M12 and Samsung burner.
I'd get rid of one of the burners.
Not a big fan of Raptors because they're noisy, but with a Lian-Li PC-V2000 or similar insulated case it's fine.
Maybe add a storage drive too, to keep the Raptor efficient.

I'd make these replacements:

ASUS P5K3 => GA-P35-DS3R
MSI NX8800Ultra => eVGA or BFG or XFX, factory overclocked 8800 GTX
CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 $465.00 ==> Some decent $100 2x1GB DDR2-800
ZALMAN CNPS9500 ==> Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme

August 31, 2007 5:39:17 PM

looks good , but get a 8800gtx instead , the difference between them isnt noticeable , also do u really want DDR3? because for that price of RAM ,u can get a very fast 4GB DDR2 ram ,
Related resources
August 31, 2007 5:49:57 PM

this build is based on the ddr3 ram thats why i want it cause i heard its fast for encoding etc as for the ultra ill get the gtx since ill be saving money cause i still need to get an l-shaped desk...also the pc im on now ill be selling to my bro for about $1000 so ill be getting back some of the money to add to this new one...i ahve the aprevia x-navagator case was given to me as a xmas gift and for the duel burners i want 2 of them so i can burn 2 dvd at once to save time...i will be gettin a 750gb or 1tb hd for storage after i build this one...is the thermalright ultra 120 extreme any good and will it fit in my case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

my case but other then that i think im good to good ill replace the ultra
August 31, 2007 6:34:23 PM

TBH I'm not sure if the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme fits in your case. I think it does, because it's a huge case, but you need to check. There's a smaller version called Ultima-90 too. Whether the Ultra 120 is any good... yeah, it's the best cooler ever made.

DDR3 will get you 5% more speed than DDR2, it's not worth 5 times the price.

At least pick two different burners. I have two myself (LG-H62N and PX-810SA) and each of them is brilliant at some things and less good at others. Plus you get two sets of software that way, not the same set twice. The Samsung is fine, but make the second one something else.
August 31, 2007 7:53:57 PM

hate to break it to you but the ~$1000 you are spending on the cpu/mobo/RAM/Zalman9500 would be put to shame by just about any E6550/GA-P35-DS3R/DDR2/stockHSF combo that costs 1/3 of the money. Quad core is a scam, a fact that you will discover for yourself if you actually bother to make a graph of your daily cpu usage. An E6550 will OC higher than a Q6600, and will run a heckuva lot cooler too. btw that Zalman 9500 is junk, you may as well stay with stock cooling! Really I don't know what the deal is with some ppl... it's like they just like to waste money. I mean... $45 for a keyboard, are ye gone mad?
August 31, 2007 8:11:41 PM

True, but I still like my Q6600. I enjoy telling my friends I have a quad :kaola: 

$45 for a keyboard is nothing! I saw a mouse at FutureShop for CAD $137+14% sales tax. The world is mad :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 

August 31, 2007 8:49:38 PM

well it is my money..ill jsut have to get a different mobo and ram if the increase is only 5%..im not going to oc my pc leaving everything at the stock settings...hopefully it fits in my case but it should the case is roomy tho....i did thought about going with another burner but dont know any good ones besides that samsung if anyone knows please let me know ill be changing up my mobo and ram...
!