SD & Memory Key Write Issues With Windows XP Pro

chris18

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
I have a 2Gb SD card and 2GB USB Sticks bought from Staples. They are their own brand but manufactured by Intuix (www.intuix.net). One stick I'm using for data archive so the files are small. Although the packing says drivers can be downloaded from Intuix as I'm using XP Pro I haven't bothered.

The other two are intended to store jpeg images for use with my digital photo frame and it is these that I am having some problems with. When trying to copy images it gets so far and then I get an error Cannot copy (name of file): The directory or file cannot be created.

The point at which this happened varied, anything between 112 and 237 files having been successfully copied and occurred whether I did a Select All copy, block copy or individual copies. I had only used about 107MB on the USB memory key so had around 800 MB available. I was using a 56 to 1 card reader/writer.

Once this happens it was not possible, as far as my testing showed, to be able to copy any files without getting the error. I tried a format but Windows wouldn't allow it although it showed the right capacity and FAT32 file system.

I had the problem initially with the first key I bought so thinking this was faulty as I got the same problem on more than one PC, including my laptop, so I had it exchanged but the problem happened with the new key.

In the meantime I bought a 2GB SD memory card also from Staples (also Intuix) and thought I'd give that a try but same problem. I have also bought a different card reader/writer but again inconsistent results.

So far the only consistent way in which I have been able to write a large number of images, approx 1100, to either the card or the key is to copy a complete folder. This is OK to start but I will want to add new images over time so would prefer not to have to keep deleting the folder etc.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Is there something I am missing about how to write large numbers of images to either an SC card or USB key?

Thanks

chuckt

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
I googled the words:

how to write large files on a usb card

write failures on usb drive

And then I found different forums with different answers. Does your computer have USB 2.0? Are there any illegal characters in the file names that would prevent transfer? Is it a particular file that is too big?

chris18

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I just trried the same search terms and didn't come up with anything so if you have any links you could post that would be great. Yes my PC ( and my laptop) does have USB2.0 although my wifes does not. Without checking all the files I cna't be sure if they contain illegal characters but as they are all .jpeg files from my camera wouldn't think that's the problem and also it's not always the same file name when it aborts. As they are pictures the files themselves are quite small. Did manage to find one site that mentioned problems with NTFS and wonder whether the fact that the source drives are NTFS whilst the SD card and key are FAT32 might be a factor. I haven't yet found a way to format or convert either to NTFS through the normal Windows Explorer path.

chuckt

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
There are a lot of results found from the search engine msn.com but I am not sure what your issue is.

www.usbman.com/oldforum/forum5/messages/360.html

www.dcresource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-26668.html