current leak in monitor data chord

nikhilm

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
Hi

I have LG syncmaster 700 S monitor. It has a problem that the data chord has current leak. I mean the chord which is connected to the cpu has current leak! due to which when it is connected to the cpu, the whole body of CPU gives electric shock. The display etc is fine. We moved recently before which there was no such problem. What could be th e problem ?

regards,
-- ./Nikhil

-redundant-

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
The CPU Box is providing a ground (or better one), for the short in your monitor. As far as what is causing the short, heck, that could be a number of different components. Could open up the case and check for a nicked wire/arcing around the solder areas where monitor cables join the board. See if it is something easily/visually identifiable. Otherwise, could be a component on the board, in which case its probably not worth having fixed unless its a new/expensive unit.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Your post is kinda confusing. You should say PC case rather then CPU. Your monitor is hooked up to the videocard (VGA or DVI port), not the CPU. If your being shocked when touching the PC case, pretty much tells me your PC case isn't grounded properly, or you have some kind of live wire touching the bare chassis of the case.

Hopefully your using a 3 prong outlet plug which provides a ground. If your using an adapter to get power for 2 prong plug (no ground) then any electric charge build up has no where to go, except when you touch the PC case.

Can you mention if your using an acrylic type of case, or aluminum/steel based?

I've read in the past for acrylic cases could shock you when pressing the power button, since an acrylic case doesn't conduct electricity, so it doesn't provide a good grounding to the PSU > Outlet ground.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Check your building ground.