Sign in with
Your question

Difference between GPUs

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2007 1:56:19 AM

hey all

I'm going to build myself a gaming PC (my first build ever) and was wondering what the difference is between all these different companies like eVGA, XFX, MSI, BFG, etc.

Why do their prices differ that much? Which ones would u recommend? All I know, is that eVGA is quite popular, but havent heard much of the others.

Thanks!

More about : difference gpus

September 17, 2007 2:39:30 AM

They all use the same basic components (GPU, RAM, voltage regulating components, basic layout, etc...), however, they can get their RAM chips from various sources, and they can design their own PCBs if they like (however, this is pretty rare). Mostly what it comes down to, as long as your comparing two video cards with equal HW, is how fast they clock the components.

For instance, a the core of a reference 8800GTX is clocked at 575MHz and the memory at 900MHz. eVGA sells 3 versions of the 8800GTX, the standard version is clocked at reference speeds. The "Superclocked" version is clocked at 621MHz/1000MHz. And the big daddy ACS3 version is clocked at 626MHz/1000MHz, plus the top it with a unique cooler that works quite well.

I bought the standard model, and overclocked it to the "Superclocked" settings of 621/999 and never looked back;)

eVGA is popular becasue of their outstanding customer service and support community. I'd highly reccommend them.
September 17, 2007 2:51:26 AM

The other difference is in the warranty. Some are "lifetime", others like XFX are "double lifetime" which covers the card if you sell it. Look at each manufacturer's site or disclaimer to find out what they offer.

eVGA is also popular because of the step-up program which allows you to upgrade the card for the difference within 90 days of your purchase.
Related resources
September 17, 2007 3:09:29 AM

EVGAEVGAEVGAEVGAEVGAEVGA
September 17, 2007 3:12:32 AM

lostandwandering said:
The other difference is in the warranty. Some are "lifetime", others like XFX are "double lifetime" which covers the card if you sell it. Look at each manufacturer's site or disclaimer to find out what they offer.

eVGA is also popular because of the step-up program which allows you to upgrade the card for the difference within 90 days of your purchase.

Good point, eVGA even covers you if you OC and/or replace the factory cooling.
!