Sign in with
Your question

SATA Jumper Setting?

Last response: in Storage
January 17, 2008 9:12:49 PM

Hey quick noob question, I'm building a system with two Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drives and a ABIT IX38 Quad GT Motherboard. The HDD's have jumpers set to limit them to 1.5GB/s, my mobo has (8) 3.0GB/s SATA connectors so should I remove the jumper? On the Seagate website it identifies the Jumper Block as "factory use only".

Quick follow-up question, if I should remove the jumpers how the F do I get the tiny little things outta there?

More about : sata jumper setting

January 17, 2008 9:49:09 PM

It should say on the Drive how to set it to 3.0GB/s --> try this and if it does not recognise set it back to 1.5

These jumpers are used to down-grade SATA drives capable of 3.0GB/s down to 1.5GB/s for systems that don't support the higher speed rating, and also enable or disable enterprise-level features.
January 18, 2008 3:02:57 PM

54 views and 1 reply, guess it must be the correct answer. Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll be back with more dumb questions before this thing is up and runnin'. :) 
January 18, 2008 3:28:11 PM

Yeah, I think you got the right answer. I got one of their 320gb and it did come with the jumper 1.5 limit on by default. I used a tiny pair of tweezers to change it to the correct position for my board. It should be labeled on top of the unit.

Mine also had a large ding on it....stupid newegg....but since it worked I didn't feel like sending it back.
!