My 3000+ upgrade went south. Advice and criticism appreciated.

mykul

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Below are my PC Specs.
My HDD has a partition on it for Vista.

I decided to calm down get less pissed and start from the beginning to figure out where I went wrong.

I wanted to upgrade my PC so I bought a 3000+ (333mhZ FSB) CPU off E-Bay w/some Arctic Silver 5 paste.

I simply popped open my case replaced the CPU and assumed it was easy as that.

I was wrong.

When I got to the BIOS it said that since I had a new CPU it was going with the lowest CPU speed and I could adjust it all the way to 2100. I didn't touch a thing, exited from BIOS and I could not get into Windows XP. I saw a white block at the top and that was it.

I was able to update my BIOS to what ASUS stated would be the correct update from 1008 to 1009-005 for the 3000+ and I still could not load Windows so I decided to format my HDD to see if that would work.

When I restarted my PC I could see it registering my CPU as a AMD 2100 CPU so it was recognized.

I pressed F6, put in my SATA drivers from my floppy and it would get to "setup is starting windows" and just hang there. I would get into BIOS see the system time running but as soon as I touched a button it would freeze.

I am at a loss as to what went wrong? I posted a similar topic on another thread and a fellow member suggested that I needed a larger power supply. He may be right but I am such a newbie I don't know. I don't even know how to adjust the front side bus. I wonder if I had improper BIOS settings or maybe the partitioned HDD threw it off.

I am not even sure if I posted this in the correct thread.
What is the proper way to upgrade a CPU?

My PC Specs:
1.33 GHz AMD Athlon Thunderbird
A7V600 MOBO
110GB Western Digital WD 1200
Pioneer DVD-ROM
1536mb of PC2700 RAM
Audigy 1 Sound Card
GeForce 6200 256MB Video Card
DLINK Ethernet Card
V-Tech 350 watt PSU

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Use clear CMOS jumper. Have you checked the markings on the CPU? POST should show as 3000+. If required, set FSB to 166(was 133 for Thunderbird).

Mike.

Yes, after a BIOS update, you should first clear the BIOS with the jumper, and then basically reset everything in the BIOS to the proper settings. Just flashing an updated BIOS will not automatically make everthing turn out correctly.
And as mike99 stated, if the BIOS flash was successful, and it is the correct BIOS, it will identify your processor correctly by name, not just speed.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Usually when I update a Bios, I do it with my old processor still in the computer, and you usually have to update the Chipset (before the Bios if I recall) in order to preserve the file system. AND I check the website to see if the new processor is supported. Then I run Prime95 on the old processor and record ALL the scores for the benchmark. THEN I install the new processor with AS5 and run Prime95 on it and check if I am getting SOME performance gain, which is the whole point of the upgrade. Then I run Prime95 for 2 hours and MONITOR THE TEMPS CLOSELY. This is just to check if the HSF is seated firmly and evenly, and to get the thermal paste to set a bit.