Temp Calibrations, Some Weirdness, E6850 + EVGA 680i A1 MB

kuniskos

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
After getting some real help on a couple of fronts (oc & temp guides by graysky & CompuTronix, and some excellent advice from nukemaster), I finally reset everything and did the temp calibrations, with some unanticipated difficulty, described below.

EVGA A1 680i, Sonata III, EarthWatts 500w PSU, 2 x BFG 7900GS, 2 SATA HDs, 1 SATA DVDRW, 2GB Corsair DDR2 800 (5-5-5-18), Zalman 9700.

2 Case fans set to low & 2 dvd slot covers removed from front of case (as per nukemaster). No appreciable increase in noise, which is important to me.

Stable 3.735 GHz, all voltages set manually, RAM now linked/synced @ 830 MHz:
CPU: 1.4063
FSB: 1.3
RAM: 1.925
PCI-E: 1.3
NForce/AUX: 1.5
SPP-MCP: 1.2

oc_3735_20071118_2.jpg

As for the calibratons, I simply couldn't get the CPU to run @ 1.6 GHz, no matter what I did. The lowest I could go was 2.0 GHz, despite rereading CompuTronix's guide a number of times and playing around with the BIOS for an embarrassingly long time. There was just something about the MB/BIOS/Version/CPU combo that wouldn't let 1.6 happen. But in the end, following everything else to the letter @ 2.0, I was convinced that the Ambient +1 rule (Tcase) & Ambient + 10 +/- 3 (Tjunction) values were telling me I needed an offset of -9 or so for CPU temp. Without going into all the detail, -10 or -11 actually seemed a little closer to me, but -9 seems good and cautious.

Again, I really appreciate all the help. Also feel fine with the temps and the OC and don't feel there's much point to upping the voltage in order to go higher, but that may change in a week or two.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
kuniskos, sorry you had BIOS difficulties with the frequency setting. Since temperature increase linearly with frequency, but exponentially with Vcore, temperature is less affected by frequency, so 400Mhz won't make more than a 1c difference. If you followed the Idle Test Setup to the letter, with the single exception of frequency, then Tcase may be perhaps 1c high, however, it appears 2c high at load, since CPU 53c / Hottest Core 60c is a 7c Delta, which is 10c +/- 3. As your Tjunction Validation no doubt passed, and without knowing your Tjunction Idle, I agree that these are insignificant differences, so I'm sure that you're within 1c.

Good job, and enjoy your rig!

Comp :sol: