Pick this one apart ....

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Building this for someone else .... they have xp and speakers. Mostly for MS Suite, internet usage, picture editing ... wants to spend a little extra to make it have another year or two of life on the backside (he wanted 5 years .... i said be happy if you still like this pc at around 4). Please point out any hardware problems, better pieces, cheaper pieces (or cheaper AND RELIABLE sites to buy from) .......

Anyway, here are the pieces:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail
LG 20X DVD±R Super Multi DVD Burner Black ATAPI / E-IDE Model GSA-H55NK - OEM (X2 ... not sure why either, but he wants it ... i guess as a backup??)
RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Acer AL2016WBbd Black 20" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
ASUS M2N-X AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Leadtek PX8500GT 256MB GeForce 8500GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Logitech 967496-0403 2-Tone USB + PS/2 RF Wireless Slim Cordless Rechargeable Desktop Mouse Included - OEM
Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400LLK - Retail
Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2007 Single User - OEM

Total Price is $902 (all parts from NewEgg)
S&H is $53
Mail In Rebates ($70)
TOTAL PRICE (out the door): $885

As always, your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Rick

Unless I can't read, you forgot your CPU. Not telling you to switch, but have you looked at the Core2's? AMD's are cheaper for the most part so if cost is the reason then that's good.

I've heard mixed things about the Smilodon case, like the support bar in the middle gets in the way.

This would be a good alternative: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077
PSU to go with it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104034 <----Might be overkill.

Other than those two it looks ok.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Two things you might want to consider is that at this time the 500gb hard drives have the lowest gb per $ price and a good one can be had for about $110. The second thing is that you might want to use a free anti-virus such as AVG and save the money, I've used AVG for years and have never had a problem.

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
lostandwandering ..... thanks, forgot to post that .... was going with:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail

This does change the cost:

Hardware: $902
S&H: $53
Mail-ins: $70
TOTAL PRICE: $885

I did look at the c2d's, but he will NEVER overclock, and the 6000 AMD seems pretty sweet ... if anything I was thinking of bumping that down to like a 5400 and saving $50. When I build my new system, I am definitely going quad core though .... those things have really dropped in price.

I had some reservations about the Smilodon, but it is a really nice looking case and pretty cheap. I actually have used a centurion before and I loved that case ... really roomy and easy to work in, but priced with the PSU and it comes out fairly expensive.

-Rick

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
rammedstein,

thanks for the input..... yeah, I actually am going to use it (and wait for it to fail) ..... I have used several cheap case/psu combo's and have had pretty good luck. I assume they will fail eventually (but after 20 or so builds, none have), but wait for that time to come, and then will just replace it. The worst part of cheap psu's has typically been the noise, but it's usually tolerable.
Thanks again!
-Rick

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
valdis, Sorry, I still have phobias about ati cards .... i finally broke down and got one for a buddy's computer about 2 years ago and it was nothing but trouble ..... i updated everything I possibly could and anything 3d was still pathetic. Luckily it would crash quickly and end the miserable games. Popped an nvidia card in and no problems, so i only buy nvidia now. I know this is fairly irrational and probably just coincidence, but we all have our vices. :)

Thanks for the input though,
-Rick

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
AUsch30,

That 320GB hdd is only $75 and probably more storage than he will ever need (now where have I heard that before .... oh yeah, my 4GB drive a billion years ago!). :) That one should be fine and if he needs another, he can pop another internal or external onto that system fairly cheaply.

Thanks though!
-Rick

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I think you should consider:
1. Antec Sonata case - the case is not as sexy as the one you selected but it has an Antec Earthwatts 500W power supply that has to be much better than the one in your case? Do you even knowwhich PSU is in the case? PSU is very important - especially considering longevity - I purchased the Earthwatts 500W PSU by itelf to upgrade my system It cost about $30 more than your case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1

2. The high performance memory is overkill - unless you plan to overclock - go with a basic Kingston or Crucial kit

3. Your graphics card is good for watching video and has DX10 - but it is not fast at all if you are considering using it for games. You might want to get a more powerful card without those features for now and uprade in a year or two - when those technologies are more mature - unless watching HD video is a must feature.

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks rockyjohn,

That Sonata case is also fairly expensive ...... the smilodon is only $49 after rebate (I haven't bought one of these cases before, but have done fairly well with cheaper cases ... loved the centurion and was really surprised by Apevia ... I hope smilodon works well too). I agree, this case is a small gamble for me, but seems reasonable based on the cost.
As for the ram, this stuff works out at $61/2GB after the $50 rebate! That's a steal!
I doubt he will do much gaming at all, I was just trying to get a decent dicrete card for $60-$80, and this one seemed to fit the bill. Anyone else think this card is that terrible??

Thanks!
-Rick

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
If i were you i would get the AMD's newly released smokin gun, the 6400+ back n black edition...
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16819103191
along the Corsair XMS for a measly $296.oo :hello:

ASUS makes great mobo's but consider the M2N32-SLI with the 590 chipset
the world's gone wireless man, better climb aboard

AVG is a great anti-virus <FreeWare
$20.oo to upgrade to full version

A pair of Seagate 320's in RAID1 for loss prevention <$180

ViewSonic 19" Digital WideScreen <$200

ZoneAlarm firewall <FreeWare
inexpensive upgrade to full version

I failed to notice a Floppy drive or CD-ROM
you may want to flash that BIOS one day

NVIDIA based 8800GTS 320MB <$275
I didn't know it had any competition, except the GTX

Saitek Eclipse Keyboard with Blue BackLighting
Battery powered keyboards :non:

Logitech 2-button Optical Mouse
battery powered Mice are also :non:

Like the man said, your not going to use that PSU......are you?

Other than the few pointers I've given you, looks good...... :bounce:

AVG has auto-updates and e-mail checking. It's much less of a system hog than Norton. AVG review over @ C|net
Also @ Cnet The Best Free Security and Spyware software
and C|net Security Center

It's not that the 8500GT is a bad choice for MS Office and surfing. But the 8600GT gives you a sizeable jump in capability if the friend finds a game he likes (for stress relief between office projects, of course).
eVga 8500GT vs Leadtek 8500GT I'd suggest the eVga part. It has a better warranty (lifetime vs 3yrs) and has the eVga "Step Up program" - within the first 90 days you can apply the purchase price to a higher model.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Cut the CPU WAY WAY back. You are blowing alot of money there.

At this point, it sounds as if he is not doing anything that takes much processing power, so why spend that much on a CPU that is already outdated and will be extremely outdated a year from now.

Cutback to something like the 4200+, add a 2nd HDD for backup purposes. It sounds like the guy will actually have data, unlike some gaming machines. Get a real PSU so all of his parts don't fry in 9months, much less in 4 years. Get the 8600GT for only a little more money so he at least has the option of playing some games if he wants.

Drop the AV Software, get AVG as mentioned.

Tell him it's not possible to build a system for 4-5 years and attempting to do so is just a waste of money. In 1.5-2.0 years pull out the 4200+ and drop in a low-end Phenom which should be quite cheap.

mdalli

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Not to rain on your parade here, but if all this person is going to do is "MS Suite, internet usage, picture editing" and he "wants to spend a little extra to make it have another year or two of life on the backside", the rig you are building is overkill by about $200-300.

I mean, why blow $160 on the top-of-the-line A64 processor?? A 8500GT video card?!? Really? Why?

I build computers for friends of varying needs all the time, and I learned a long time ago not to make the other person pay lots of $$$ for a machine they don't need and aren't going to use. You aren't building your super-sweet gaming rig, you are building their grocery-getter, so to speak.

Want to ensure their system is still fast in a couple years?

Sit down with them and teach them about defragging their hard drive, or about anti-spyware or anti-virus. Teach them how to avoid doing things that crap up their Windows registry and turn their $800 investment into a paperweight that used to be fast (insert sigh here). Rant concluded.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Tell him it's not possible to build a system for 4-5 years and attempting to do so is just a waste of money. In 1.5-2.0 years pull out the 4200+ and drop in a low-end Phenom which should be quite cheap.
We should live for the day, and are you certain we will be here in 2 years...?

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
OK, OK, OK! You talked some sense in to me .... I will go with the Centurion and Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply. I will also definitely go with the AVG. I spoke to him and got him to spend $40 more for a 22" widescreen (I think that is the best monitor for the buck right now).

But, as for many of the other comments, I still think the 6000 CPU is the best bang for the buck. For $50, you are getting a fair amount more processing over a 5000 (or less). At $63, the 8500GT is also a bargain .... anything better nearly doubles the price, anything worse saves little. Could I get an integrated card? Absolutely? Would I ..... I strongly discourage it. That $875 included a 20" widescreen and a/v, which I will now bag..... that's a pretty good 'business-type' system at a decent price, no?!?! This guy isn't a gamer and many of the other upgrades would make this into a $1500 mediocre system.

I could certainly upgrade every single component, but at what cost? Are we all on the same page? Do our trade-offs seem reasonable? :) Thanks everyone, I think this will be a nice middle-of-the-road system ... like I tell everyone, get the best bang for the buck ..... anything less is trouble or short-lived, anything more will still be outdated in 2 years.

THANKS AGAIN, I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONE TAKING THE TIME TO STATE THEIR OPINIONS!
-Rick