Added 2nd hdd, cant access it???

So yesterday I did an upgrade to my existing computer, basically all new parts. In my previous rig I had a 36gb raptor as my boot drive and a 250gb hdd to store music and stuff. I decided that it would be better to buy a new hdd to use as my boot drive since the raptor was so small, and just add the 250gb that had all my files on it.

I initially connected only the new hdd that I just bought and installed windows XP on it. Once windows had been installed I added the 2nd hdd, so that I can access all the files I have saved on it. My problem is that I can't do anything with the 250gb hdd. It shows up in the device manager and it shows up under disk management in the computer management window. It just doesnt show up in the "my computer" window. When I go to disk management it shows up as disk0 with a big red X on it, says dynamic, and unreadable. If I right click on it my only options are properties, convert to basic, and help. Convert to basic says it will erase all information on the disk.

I tried all that I can think of but can't seem to figure out how to access this drive. BTW, both drives are sata and I am using XP.

Thanks

23 answers Last reply
More about added access
  1. Yo brother,

if possible, use the old 36 gig raptor for os, install the new drive with the 250 music drive, and use disk management, to format the new drive to basic.

Transfer all the files from old 250 to new 250. Once done, just format old drive.

Old and manual method ... but works ...

Hope this helps.

;)
  2. That sounds kind of confusing. I was under the impression that the 36gb raptor won't work with a new mb/cpu unless I reformat. It has windows installed on it right now but I don't think that I can just plug it into the the new mb and expect it to boot. If it did work and I did that when I install windows on the new drive or the existing one when I connect the music drive wouldn't I end up in the same situation?

I also want to eliminate the raptor. Wanted to keep the 250gb as secondary hdd, and the new 320 as primary/boot drive.
  3. Go to your disk management and make sure that you are assigning a drive letter to the 2nd hard drive. Because it was actively your C: drive before and now it can't be C:\ drive. So give it a letter like N: or something then you should be fine.
  4. I wish I could give it a letter, I just don't see an option anywhere to assign it one. I have been to the disk management and it seems that there are no options to assign it a letter, other drives let me but not this hdd. Previously it wasn't c:, the 36gb raptor was the C: drive, the 250gb was something like R:.
  5. because it is set as dynamic.. you cannot untie it to the OS it has been created with. get you raptor back, and try to transform it as a normal drive, with partition.

Or, instal your new hdd, wipe it of all the data on and make sure it is not dynamic. Transfer all your stuff on the new drive, and install XP on the old one
  6. you using XP home or Pro ?
  7. And also, why do you want to get rid of the Raptor? Sure it's small, but just make it so that only the OS, program files, and page file are on it.

I have Vista, which is bigger than XP. I have a 25gb partition for the OS/programs, a 5gb partition for the pagefile, and a 40gb partition for games.(74gb raptor).

Then I have a 500gb for all my other stuff.

So you can do like a 28gb partition for you OS and programs, and then like a 5gb partition for the pagefile. (after formatting you should have about 33gbs.)

My OS and programs only uses about 10gigs anyway so far. It is a fairly new install though.
  8. I had the same problem. Use partition Commander or Magic to copy the data onto another drive. It will allow you to see and manually copy the data to another HD. After that use partition to restore the drive back to basic. You shouldn't lose any data, but make sure that you copy your data as a backup before you start to restore the drive. :)
  9. pat said:
    because it is set as dynamic.. you cannot untie it to the OS it has been created with. get you raptor back, and try to transform it as a normal drive, with partition.

Or, instal your new hdd, wipe it of all the data on and make sure it is not dynamic. Transfer all your stuff on the new drive, and install XP on the old one

Would I have to put the raptor into the old mb or will it boot on this new system? I'm pretty sure I understand what you mean with the exception of the raptor working with my current set up, or having to be the old one.

Anonymous said:
    you using XP home or Pro ?

Xp Pro
    Anonymous said:
    And also, why do you want to get rid of the Raptor? Sure it's small, but just make it so that only the OS, program files, and page file are on it.

I have Vista, which is bigger than XP. I have a 25gb partition for the OS/programs, a 5gb partition for the pagefile, and a 40gb partition for games.(74gb raptor).

Then I have a 500gb for all my other stuff.

So you can do like a 28gb partition for you OS and programs, and then like a 5gb partition for the pagefile. (after formatting you should have about 33gbs.)

My OS and programs only uses about 10gigs anyway so far. It is a fairly new install though.

The raptor is 36gb and with OS and programs it was basically full.
  10. mikecdm said:
    The raptor is 36gb and with OS and programs it was basically full.

Ah. You must have more and bigger programs than me then.
  11. mikecdm said:
    Would I have to put the raptor into the old mb or will it boot on this new system? I'm pretty sure I understand what you mean with the exception of the raptor working with my current set up, or having to be the old one.

I would put it in the old motherboard, just to be sure to not loose everything. XP usually don't like motherboard change, unless you are using the same dhipset brand (ATI to ATI, INTEL to INTEL,...)

Sometime, a repair install may work, but if you loose the os, then you will have dificulty to recove your data.

To make sure that you don't recreate a dynamic drive, you have to click, in the device manager, in the square where it list the drive name, not the rectangle where it shows partition when you initialize a drive, IIRC. But when you start a new drive, and it ask you to create a dynamic drive, always cancel the operation, and make sur you create real partition.
  12. pat said:
    I would put it in the old motherboard, just to be sure to not loose everything. XP usually don't like motherboard change, unless you are using the same dhipset brand (ATI to ATI, INTEL to INTEL,...)

Sometime, a repair install may work, but if you loose the os, then you will have dificulty to recove your data.

To make sure that you don't recreate a dynamic drive, you have to click, in the device manager, in the square where it list the drive name, not the rectangle where it shows partition when you initialize a drive, IIRC. But when you start a new drive, and it ask you to create a dynamic drive, always cancel the operation, and make sur you create real partition.

Thanks, it seems like this is going to be a pain. Why didn't I know about this dynamic drive stuff back when I installed it? :( So i'm going to have to basically put my old rig back together. Right now all the pieces have been put away.

Once I put the old rig back together i'd have to erase everything from my current hdd, then trasnfer everything from the 250gb to the current 320gb, then install windows on the 250gb? Its going to take forever to transfer 200gb worth of music, movies, and apps. :(
  13. You can do a search to see if there is some app that would let you recover your data.

you don't have to install everything back in the case.. just spread the thing on a non conductive surface (a wood table), plug everything back, use a screw driver to start the system, then let it work while you are sleeping or doing other thing.
  14. I don't know if a data recovery app would work. Someone mentioned partition magic and it wouldn't let me do anything to the 250gb hdd. Probably has something to do with the dynamic status.

I wasn't planning putting everything back in the case but its still a pain. All my cables are nice and tidy, I'd have to make a mess again.

What do you mean by a screw driver to start it? How do I do that? I really didn't want to plug all the front panel connectors in and this would make things a lot easier.

Seems like I'll have to do a lot of work on saturday.
  15. well, you just use a screwdriver to short the pins where normally, you would plug the switch. this will start the computer, just like you 'd have done with the switch.
  16. so i got my old rig running and when I go to check the 250gb, it does the same thing as when I put it into the new system. Its unreadable, and I can't do anything to make it work.

There goes over 100gb of music, and all sorts of other stuff, like pics, movies and such. :(
  17. All is not lost yet.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/236086

or

http://www.suggestafix.com/index.php?showtopic=28160

What i don't get is how this went dynamic on you. I've moved drives all over and been able to access with different operating systems too. Only thing i can thuink of is some system files got on your other drive because your raptor was full.

Anyway good luck.
  18. i don't know if It just went dynamic or if it was always dynamic. I think I figured out a way. While searching for data recovery software I came across a program called easeus data recovery wizard. This let me copy the data on that drive to a different drive. While I was looking through some of the folders I did find a restore point file and some other files that I never placed there. I don't know if that might have had anything to do with it but It did seem strange.

Right now I am copying over 200gb of data to the new drive. 5gb took like a minute but for some reason 200gb is taking over an hour.
  19. mikecdm, you have a pm, I am in same boat trying to solve it can you get back to me
  20. If your trying to use the new HD as a boot driv was it formated as such of just as a storage drive?

If it was a fresh install as the only drive in the system or if it was cloned fron the old bootdrive it should bee seen as a boot drive.
    Youshould -not- have the old bootdrive connected at bootup....put it on a USB adaptor afterwards if you stil need to move files or formate it as a storgae drive.

You may also need to remove the MB/GFX drivers if those have been changed.
  21. Try a bit stream copy? (Pain fully slow but it will create an identical (bit to bit) copy of the drive)
  22. in my case the drive was never a boot drive, it was turned into a dynamic disk for storage only once it was added to a raid 0 array only after the raid 0 array was running as normal with all drivers installed. Upon adding the drive was completely fresh and formatted following it being added as a storage drive . The only way it could be accessed upon being added to the raid 0 array was to add it via nv raid manager utility and I only had choice of adding it as a dynamic storage device. I did not know the hassle of this only learnt this upon disassembling the raid 0 array and freshly formatting both drives upon installing a dual boot OS to one of the drives alone, the second is a storage drive in use now and upon adding the 3 drive with my data on to sata port 3 I see it in device manager but am not able to see it in my computer or access it

I have downloaed the trail software mentioned above it shows all the files on the drive but I must pay if I want to recover them to storage drive 2 before it is formated which after it would show up in my computer.

I am seeking free data recovery software that allows one to recover files but I think there is nothing without paying..
  23. Here is the solution that worked for me without having to buy or find software it is built into XP Pro

Check Disk Management, right click My Computer on your desktop then down to Manage. It's in the Storage section. Should be able to see if it gives you an option to Import the drives\partitions. right click on disk mgmt in the left hand window pane and use the import function, worked like a charm and thanks to "themortman" over at amdmb.com
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Computer Storage