Dual overclocking profiles

level4

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
I tried searching but could not find an answer. What's the easiest way for me to have two profiles on my Vista PC for overclocking and non-overclocking. When I play games, I want to overclock, otherwise I don't want to overclock (and possibly underclock the GPU). What's the best way for me to do it? Can I have a dual boot (both into the same Vista installation) but one use an Overclock BIOS and another using a regular BIOS configuration? Or is there another way to accomplish this?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

C1E and EIST will underclock/undervolt the CPU when it's not under a load. That's about the closest thing I can think of however.

Any reason you want to do this?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

When? At idle? :kaola:

If he's worried about temps why would he be running the OC profile during gaming?

level4

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
I want two profiles because I want to get max performance when gaming, but when my wife is shopping or chatting online I don't need heat, electricity and fans gone wild. If I don't need to tax my hardware, then I don't really want to. If there is a semi-simple way to do this, then I will go for it. She has mentioned my pc is loud.

I'm using Rivatuner, so GPU is easy, but the CPU and RAM is done in the bios. Any help is appreciated.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

C1E or EIST is really the only way to do this...

Otherwise get a fan controller and just cut it down. Turn the PWM on the CPU down.

level4

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007

I'm looking into what you mentioned. Thanks.

I see you play TF2 - love that game. I use this handle on there as well. I'm on after 10pm EST. I'll say hi if I see you.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

I'm always on Steam. If the clan is playing I'm on the server but I don't join random servers anymore. You should come play on the server, it's a lot of fun.

Edit: If you catch me on Steam tonight I'll get you some links to some nice PWM fan controllers and PWM fans. They are really the only option for cutting down on noise unless your motherboard has fan headers that will allow you to control them.

Mine does.. but as of the current BIOS it doesn't give you control of them unless it's the CPU fan... which I just run at 100% all the time anyways (the sound of it ramping up and down annoys me more than just listening to it full blast).