My computer keeps freezing, please help, ive tried everything.

Clark46

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Ok so about 2 days ago my computer started starting up very slow ( not normal ). Ever since then my computer has been freezing shortly after startup, this is why this thread has to be rushed.. Ok so when it starts to freeze. Any browsers that are up stop working, I can move them around and everything, but they just stop working. When i move them over my desktop icons, they disappear, and when I try to open up my start menu bar thinger, and click off of it, the image stays fixed in the background even though it's closed out of. I cannot open up the start menu again because the whole task bar is non responsive after that.

I have tried virus scans many times, as well as registry scans, nothing seems to work guys, that's why I'm turning to you, you guys are my last hope ! :mad: Please help,

- Clark

Here is a DxDiag of my computer:

http://www.pastebin.com/m1b9e67

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
most likely the problem is windows not hardware - this is the problem with windows XP once it is hit by a virus it is very hard to recover the working apps even if you have the best of anti virus. Try Process Explorer (search it on the net with another computer) and find unwanted apps and terminate it. Another is hijack it by micro trend. Be very careful when you terminate a process. But if don't like those apps I mentioned then just re install Windows XP.

If you're thinking malware, terminating processes in the task manager isn't going to solve anything. They are often the symptoms, not the root cause.

If you want to check for malware, boot into safe mode with networking (f8 on startup). Download, install, and update malwarebytes. Then do a full system scan.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

If you tried the scan in safe mode, then your system is likely clean.

^ ?

The event viewer is a tool in the control panel-->administrative tools. It logs system, security, and application errors.

Try to duplicate the problem, and look at the time when it happens. Then restart the PC, and go to the event viewer, and look for errors at the time it happened.

Clark46

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

I have duplicated the problem, and when it happens I have numerous System Errors when it freezes as well when it starts up..