Sign in with
Your question

With an 8800 GTS is a monitor with 8ms(GTG) GOOD or BAD for gaming???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2007 6:35:11 PM

Monitors rarely have their advertised response time.

However, a monitor with 8ms adverttised response time should be OK.
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
September 17, 2007 7:04:50 PM

that will be fine
Related resources
September 17, 2007 7:30:42 PM

I prefer less than 5ms response time. LG has some 22" ones at Futureshop that are 2ms for a good price.
September 17, 2007 7:43:33 PM

"0.0000001 ms response time would so roxor!!!!"

its posts like that that make me laugh and cry at the same time. 8ms is fine, you'll notice it if it's more than about 10 ms, but anything less is adequate for gaming because you wont be able to see any improvement. who cares if it's 8 or 5 or 2 or 0.000000001 if you cant actually see the difference, it's all just advertising hype.
September 17, 2007 7:50:09 PM

I have a crap pcchipsa31g 754 motherboard and even so and bought an 8800gts PNY Performance Edition (273.00 usd) in clubit.com ... also i have a sempron palermo processor 3100+ (1.8Ghz ...now 2.050Ghz, the motherboard dont allow more .. but it can go upto 2.658Ghz with a Dfi motherboard..bets the 3800+ ..equal 4000+)

And a monitor viewsonic Premiun MVA Panel vx2025wm (20.1") widescreen 8 ms .. are the best for color reproduction ...more true blacks than normal lcds...

Anyway i obtained 90 fps in fear (average) 1280x960 all high 4x 16x all full... minimum 35 fps maximun 219 fps...

So yes its enough for games ... i dont have the video overcloked so it can go from 500mhz Gpu up to 651mhz ...

Just think if i want more fps i can do it right now... but 4 what?

Omar
September 17, 2007 7:51:26 PM

thanx guys
September 18, 2007 6:19:44 AM

smodd, just a bit of info, frame rate has nothing to do with monitor response time.

you could be running a frame rate of 999 and have a monitor with a 20ms response time and you'd be getting kicked left, right and center if you're playing a game like ETQW at a lan.
September 18, 2007 8:09:21 AM

GeoMan said:
smodd, just a bit of info, frame rate has nothing to do with monitor response time.

you could be running a frame rate of 999 and have a monitor with a 20ms response time and you'd be getting kicked left, right and center if you're playing a game like ETQW at a lan.

Im just said that i have an 8800 gts and it behave perfectly normal with my monitor 8ms viewsonic even overcloking every component mentioned the monitor didnt performance out of normal standards ... Thats all..

September 18, 2007 8:59:49 AM

Awesome, you have a way to measure the response time on your monitor?

Two parts to the OP's question;

Question is a 8800GTS good for gaming.

Answer: yes, but the OP could have figured that out from THG graphics charts (click here) so i didn't bother answering that. - RTFM then Google it first!

Question: is an 8ms monitor good enough for gaming.

Answer: yes, anything below 10ms is fine, but frankly weather it's 2ms or 8ms makes no difference to games. - For LCD's gaming performance is limited by the response time and weather your graphics card can handle the LCD's native resolution. And the Graphics card question has already been answered.
September 18, 2007 12:14:27 PM

ok then,we have established that 8ms and below is good for gaming. A friend of mine got a Belinea 20" LCD (Don't remember the model) with 550cd/m2 and he is complaining that the monitor is tiring his eyes due to the fact that it's not bright enough. Is this true? I was going to but a Samsung 22" but it has only 300cd/m2 so I figure it's way darker. What's a good number for brightness and how does that compare to a normal CRT monitor? Anybody?
How about the contrast? at what point it becomes visually obsolete to have a big contrast? 1000:1 is good enough or what?
September 18, 2007 2:30:17 PM

In my world,

"monitors rarely have their advertised response time"

means something completely different than

"monitors rarely have their response time advertised..."

but I'm guessing you knew that already and were just living up to your username (in a friendly sort of way, of course)!
September 18, 2007 9:44:35 PM

GeoMan said:
Awesome, you have a way to measure the response time on your monitor?

Two parts to the OP's question;

Question is a 8800GTS good for gaming.

Answer: yes, but the OP could have figured that out from THG graphics charts (click here) so i didn't bother answering that. - RTFM then Google it first!

Question: is an 8ms monitor good enough for gaming.

Answer: yes, anything below 10ms is fine, but frankly weather it's 2ms or 8ms makes no difference to games. - For LCD's gaming performance is limited by the response time and weather your graphics card can handle the LCD's native resolution. And the Graphics card question has already been answered.

The answer has already been given without saying it ... dont criticize my opinion make ur own statement its easy to
talk about averyone else words.. make ur own statement ...

Smart people understand statements without talk 2 much about it...

And yeah i can see the difference in response time between a CRT and Lcd but 8ms its fine ... i hate the 2ms or 5 ms panels because never reproduce the correct gammut of colors ... they never could achieve correctly 16.8 millions of colors the y can offer 16.2 and that means a lot ... the colors look washed ... then this low response times monitors achieve 16.8 mixing subtones ... so they say yeah looks equal brb .. never will be equal MVA is superior to other panels ...

Heres a link i f u really want to now about monitor technologies ...

http://www.behardware.com/articles/619-1/updated-survey...

and here why MVA has chosen to support LED technology ...

http://www.behardware.com/articles/654-1/xl20-samsung-s...

Heres a 24" test
http://www.behardware.com/articles/677-1/the-samsung-24...

Thanks and good bye...

Omar

September 18, 2007 9:58:02 PM

Quote:
WHAT?? Ive yet to see an lcd WITHOUT an advertised response time.

You misunderstand. What I'm saying is that monitor's rarely live up to their advertised response time.

I've seen tests showing that some LCD monitors have double their advertised response time...
September 18, 2007 10:57:01 PM

thanx again guyzzz
!