Automatic IP not working

Zaqim

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
I work in an office with a Windows 2003 server. Forty-five machines running Windows XP Pro are connected on a single domain. We have a DSL internet connection.

Two of our machines quit accessing the network, internet, and e-mail. One was an older machine, the other was fairly new. The older machine did this about a week ago. The newer only started doing this yesterday.

The nslookup is not normal. It brings up a message that says "***Default servers are not avaiable; Default Server: Unknown; Addres: 127.0.0.0" for both machines.

I have checked the winsock. That is not the issue. DHCP is started/enabled.

I took ta funtioning DNS from one of the working machines in the office. I then entered our correct gateway and subnet. Finally, I chose IP addresses within our range. This restored internet, network, and e-mail access.

My question is why did this happen? And why can't use the automatic IP selection? I can't afford for all 45 of our computers to do this.

If any knows anything, I could use all the help I can get. Thank you...

thehelo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
so you are saying dhcp is not working for some reason with those machines.

can they ping the dhcp server?

does the dhcp server have a big enough pool of addresses it can hand out through dhcp?

try posting an ipconfig /all from one of the computers after changing it back to "obtain ip address automatically"