  • Microsoft
  • Write Protection
  • Windows XP
July 7, 2005 2:21:01 AM

help needed please.....how do I remove write protection from a file and or
C.D ? I can't be the only dumb blonde out there.

More about : removal write protection

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 3:38:46 AM

You can not remove write protection from files that are on a CD. If you copy
the file from a CD to your hard drive you can remove the "read-only"
attribute by right clicking the file (once it is copied off the CD) and
select Properties. Then uncheck the box next to "Read only". This works for
files but not for folders. Do not worry about trying to remove the "Read
only" attribute from a folder it cannot be done and doesn't cause problems
writing to file within the folder.

Generally though in Windows XP once you copy a file off a CD the "Read only"
attribute is removed automatically.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Annabel" <Annabel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> help needed please.....how do I remove write protection from a file and or
> C.D ? I can't be the only dumb blonde out there.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 3:05:33 PM

In news:87A09F69-87D7-4E83-AE4E-97CAC070F843@microsoft.com,
Annabel <Annabel@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> help needed please.....how do I remove write protection from a
> file
> and or C.D ? I can't be the only dumb blonde out there.

Right-click on the file, choose Properties, and on the General
tab, uncheck "Read-only."

However note that you can only do this on rewritable media, such
as hard-drives and diskettes. CDs are read-only by their nature,
and you can't do this there.

Please reply to the newsgroup
July 8, 2005 1:08:03 AM

Many thanks for you help. I can now stop worrying about the colour of my hair..

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:87A09F69-87D7-4E83-AE4E-97CAC070F843@microsoft.com,
> Annabel <Annabel@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > help needed please.....how do I remove write protection from a
> > file
> > and or C.D ? I can't be the only dumb blonde out there.
>

> Right-click on the file, choose Properties, and on the General
> tab, uncheck "Read-only."
>
> However note that you can only do this on rewritable media, such
> as hard-drives and diskettes. CDs are read-only by their nature,
> and you can't do this there.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 12:05:53 PM

In news:775AF353-DF45-4F21-85C2-3CF988CBA3ED@microsoft.com,
Annabel <Annabel@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Many thanks for you help. I can now stop worrying about the
> colour of
> my hair..

You're welcome. Glad to help.

!