Onboard sound card makes unwanted noises

millon

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
I built a new computer with a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128050. It has an ALC889A for audio.
I am noticing that it constantly sends faint noises (squeaks/buzzes/beeps) to my headphones whenever the computer is active. For example, it is silent when I am at desktop, but when I start an application or load a web page I hear it. The noises get very strong when playing a game, but the in game sounds usually masks it. Another interesting characteristic is that the volume of these noises is not affected by the master volume of my computer. Even when I mute all audio, these noises still continue. I have the latest realtek drivers and also tested it with another headset.
I was considering buying a sound card, after getting an ATH-A500, but was told that onboard is just a good. Would buying one solve this problem?

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
Maybe, it picks up noise somewhere, on the mother board or on the line to the front audio panel or your headphones cable is messed up. Do you have noise when plugging this headphones to other devices too? Try plugging them to your audio back panel on the back of the case.
Lastly, I don't think this has any thing to do with BIOS if it isn't specifically listed in the new BIOS changes. So don't do it if it's not necessary. For driver use the one on realtek http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High%20Definition%20Audio%20Codecs. It's usually newer.

millon

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007

That fixed it. So I guess the problem is the case cable that gives me audio up front is touching something on the mb. I probably should have done a better wire job.

millon

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
Now I have an even bigger problem. I downloaded all of the drivers and just extracted them to my desktop. I thought I would need to put them on a floppy drive before they could update anything, and I wasn't ready to update yet. Then when I turn my computer on this morning my monitor is not receiving signals (standby light). I also swapped monitors with my other PC to rule out the monitor as being the problem. My keyboard and mouse lights are also staying dark, so I don't think they are being recognized either. I doubt that my GPU is the problem, because it's a non-overclocked evga 8800 gts that is less than a month old. I would like to test it too, but I don't have another pci card.
I also put in the driver disk, and restarted, but that didn't do anything. I don't know what to do now. The only other step that I can think of is to clear the CMOS, but I don't know if that will lead to more issues like having to my hdds in raid unrecognized and being required to reinstall my OS.
I know this isn't the bios forums, but this is where the issue started. I am also going to post a copy in the correct section.
edit: problem solved. it was bad ram