long term problem booting up

mrkun

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
I'm reposting this from a thread I made at Guru3D, which you can read here.

This has been happening for about two weeks now where my computer will shut itself off shortly after posting, before loading the OS. What's odd is that each time I turn it on again it will go a bit longer before finally shutting down, and eventually it will get to the point where the OS loads, and once this happens it will stay on and function normally without any problem. It's almost as though the computer has to warm up or something. The other strange thing is that each day it takes more and more restarts before the OS will finally boot and today I finally gave up. Also, in the process of restarting, sometimes there will be a delay of several seconds between pressing the power button and the computer actually booting; however, the power light will usually come on immediately; although occassionally the opposite will happen and the computer will start immediately but there will be a delay of several seconds until the power light comes on. I sometimes get the message "Please re-setting CPU frequency" (damn Taiwanese can't hire a better translator). I've been running at stock settings since this problem started, but just for the sake of indulgence I've tried loading stock settings again (from stock settings), but it doesn't fix the problem.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's a mobo issue. This DFI board has been finicky as hell ever since I got it two years ago. It doesn't seem PS related since the computer works fine under load once I'm in the OS. As an aside, I started getting video artifacting about the same time this booting problem started; not sure if they're related.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Since I originally posted I cleared the CMOS and that solved the problem completely for a few days, but then it started again and clearing the CMOS didn't work. I finally got it to boot up again yesterday, this time with a CMOS checksum error. I tried replacing the battery, but I still can't boot up.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I wouldnt count out the PSU just because sometimes it loads windows. I know this might sound silly also but maybe you should try replacing the BIOS battery as well as checking that if there is a jumper setting on the mainboard to clear the BIOS that it is set to save. After resetting the BIOS i would also try entering the BIOS and loading up the default/safe settings.

mrkun

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Aren't the CMOS and BIOS battery the same thing? I only see one battery on my motherboard. And on that note, using the clear CMOS jumper resets all the BIOS settings back to defaults. Also, at this point the computer won't stay on long enough to get into the BIOS; it shuts off shortly after posting.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Yes the is only one battery.

I believe your looking at the psu not powering on correctly or the mainboard is dying/dead. If you have another PSU i would be trying it

mrkun

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Yeah, I figured as much from the start. My only other PSU is a 400W, 20-pin Antec. I suppose I should I buy a 24-pin adapter and try it out?