Sign in with
Your question

Core2Duo T5250 vs Turion x2

Last response: in CPUs
September 3, 2007 7:58:50 PM

Which is better? A core 2 duo t5250 1.5 Ghz 2 mb l2 cache vs an AMD Athlon(TM) 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TK-53 (1.7 GHz, 512KB L2 Cache)? Or how about a tl-56 1.8 Ghz?

The two systems are exactly the same except for the processor, the core 2 duo one is about $100 more expensive than the x2 turion one. (They're HP laptops btw). What do you guys think? Is the core 2 duo worth the extra $100? It is going to be used for student's needs (college). What do you guys think? Is the core 2 duo faster? if so, by how much? is it noticeable?

Thanks in advance!

More about : core2duo t5250 turion

September 3, 2007 8:33:51 PM

The Core2 duo T5250(1.5GHz) is faster than the Turion TK-53 (1.7GHz). But when considering the 1.8GHz Turion X2 there won't be that much difference in CPU performance. Still I think that the Core Duo uses a little less power. What about the motherboard chipsets? That could mean a much bigger difference. Still, I would probably get the Core2.
September 3, 2007 9:11:14 PM

That Core 2 Chip is the weakest of the Intel mobile dual Core line, however that doesn't mean it is a bad chip. The Turion will should perform slightly faster in a lot of tasks, the intel faster in fewer, but very close most of the time.

I think that you need to look at other system components to make your choice. Which model offers more RAM ? Hardrive size? Ports? Very important, what is the gpu (Graphics Chip) installed in each of these laptops. Intels integrated gpu are notoriously weak & sucky. AMD chips are often paired with ATI\AMD GPUs; some of these even have their own memory and borrow less or none from system memory. Intel GPUs always use system memory. Look at the GPUs. If it is ATI/AMD or Nvidia GPUs you will want to read up on the GPU model, even the weakest ati\nvidia mobile gpu should add performance over an intel gpu. A mid level to high end gpu should really tilt your opinion toward that laptop.

Have fun.
Related resources
September 3, 2007 11:03:33 PM

The Turion X2 has NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 6150

The Core 2 Duo has Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

So, does that change anything? I mean if there's not much difference between the two I don't see a reason in spending the extra 100 bucks...So the 1.7 Ghz Turion X2 should perform better (or the same) as the t5250, right?
September 3, 2007 11:56:46 PM

I would go with the AMD one, Intel graphics suck.
September 4, 2007 12:17:41 AM

toasty2 said:
I would go with the AMD one, Intel graphics suck.

Well, the X3100 is a fair bit better than the GMA950 which was somewhat competitive with the 6150, so I wouldn't count it out yet - and the X3100 has DX10 support. Then again, if the OP isn't 2004-gaming, I see no reason to get anything other than the cheapest system.
September 4, 2007 12:23:25 AM

Ok, so evilr00t, you kinda made it a bit more complicated now. Which would be a better system all around? 1.7 Ghz Turion x2? Or T5250? Not for gaming, but for web surfing/word documents/iTunes/watching movies, that kinda stuff.
September 4, 2007 1:06:06 AM

either system will be fine for your needs, if you dont plan on doing any heavy gaming (games that require as powerful a system you can throw at them) then either is good. Core2Duo processors are faster than turion processors clock for clock. But in your case if your just web surfing, listening to music, watching movies etc. you cant go wrong with either. Personally id go with the cheaper of the two since your needs arent terribly demanding. In all honesty you could probably get something that would suit your needs just as well for much cheaper. The core2duo system is better if thats the answer youre looking for. Thats just my two cents.
September 4, 2007 3:52:58 AM

Eviltwin17 said:
either system will be fine for your needs, if you dont plan on doing any heavy gaming (games that require as powerful a system you can throw at them) then either is good. Core2Duo processors are faster than turion processors clock for clock. But in your case if your just web surfing, listening to music, watching movies etc. you cant go wrong with either. Personally id go with the cheaper of the two since your needs arent terribly demanding. In all honesty you could probably get something that would suit your needs just as well for much cheaper. The core2duo system is better if thats the answer youre looking for. Thats just my two cents.

Seconded - the portion about your needs aren't terribly demanding and you could probably find something suitable for much cheaper.

The TurionX2 and C2D are roughly equal (as in, you wouldn't notice the difference) in most areas except perhaps media encoding where the C2D will run circles around the TurionX2, but if you don't do that, you won't notice a difference between the two. Unless "watching movies" means HD-DVD/BluRay, either processor should be fine. I can't say for sure which one has lower power consumption (more likely the C2D), but you might want to consider the battery size and power consumption if you're a roadwarrior.
September 5, 2007 1:24:18 AM

The problem is with the ram, I know I need at least 2 gigs of ram to be good with vista. My friend has a very similar laptop to the turion x2 with only 1 gb of ram, and 70% is used without any programs running...sooo yeah. I'll probably go with the turion x2 one I guess. Is there much difference between the 6 cell and 12 cell battery? Double the time?
September 5, 2007 1:51:06 AM

I ordered a 12 cell initially because it seems cheaper than having to upgrade later. It last pretty long, I can watch a whole DVD.
September 5, 2007 1:57:35 AM

How is it compared to the 6 cell though? Worth the extra $50?
September 5, 2007 1:59:37 AM

yeah go with the cheaper one. i plan to go with a real cheap notebook for college, then buy a gaming pc for the dorm. :) 
September 5, 2007 2:39:13 AM

If one on systems let you pay more for a better video card then get that system and pay for the video card upgrade.
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2007 3:49:32 AM

What is the prices for these laptops? I bought a core duo (not core 2 duo) w/x1400 ATI video chip in it, for about $900 20 months ago. It works fine for me. I play some like games (WoW, EQII, CSS, HL2, FEAR) without any issues. Yes I could've spent more and got a better system, but I got everything that I needed for under $1000. If your only doing basic stuff with the laptop, you can get one for really cheap these days. Probably in the $500-$700 price range for what you need.
!