Another newbie build

G

First I want to thank all of you that have been posting helpful suggestions on this forum. Thanks to you I have decided what I'm going to put together real soon from Newegg. I hope I won't regret my first build.

I'm not into gaming. This will be mainly for office type applications, some programming, some database work, web surfing, etc. Will probably be playing mp3s from the computer thru my stereo so onboard audio should be adequate. I know the graphic card I listed below is not the best, but it will do DirectX 10 so it should do for a while. 620 watt power supply is probably overkill for now, but add a few drives, upgrade to a quad cpu and better video in a year or so and that wattage will not be wasted. I'm not planning on doing any overclocking.

Anyone see any problems with this build?

GIGABYTE Triton 180 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($77)

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Motherboard ($130)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 Processor ($177)

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Memory ($110)

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply ($170)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive ($54)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive ($110)

EVGA 512-P2-N747-LR GeForce 8500GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card ($100)

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD SATA Burner Black Model SH-203B ($31)

Thanks in advance,

Alvin

No clue about the Triton. Is that a nice case? If money is tight you could get a Centurion 534 and save a few bucks.

All nice choices. There was a $61 price recently for Patriot DDR2-800 at newegg, I wonder if it's still there.

I'd get a 7200.10 or a WD5000AAKS, whichever is cheaper, just one disk for now.

You sure you can't get a Q6600, even if you do all of the above? If you develop an ASP.Net app you'd benefit.

G

aevm, thanks for your reply.

The Triton case is not much different from the Centurion 534. I was going to get the Centurion but comparing the reviews of these 2 cases made me think the Triton was a better choice. I can't remember what is was.

I did not look at the Patriot memory since it's not listed on the motherboard's memory support list.

Those 2 HD are actually the same price right now so I think I'll stick with Seagate.

I considered the Q6600 but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $110 right now. I don't think that many applications can take advantage of the 4 cores. I'd like something better than what I'm getting but I'm trying to keep cost down a bit. I figured I'd settle for a cheaper/slower cpu for now with the idea of upgrading to a faster quad in a year or so and get more bang for my bucks. This cpu will still beat the living you know what out of my current 1 GHz processor.

I'm still looking at possibly getting a cheaper power supply. I'm not going to go below 600 watts but maybe switch manufacturer. I was thinking of about the OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS but some are complaining that it's noisy.

Thanks again. Back to the searches. I'm trying to have something ordered this weekend.

Alvin

lockdownx1x

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
ARamanrd I was you on day but the Quad is thinking long term.Beacuse many or maybe all programs will thank you for choosing the fast 4 Cores instead of the slow 2.

G

I re-calculated the power requirements and included potential upgrades and I'm coming up with just under 450 watts. I guess I can try a 550 watt power supply instead. I may be able to trim a few dollars here and there. Looks like the Q6600 may be within my budget. I'm not 100% convinced yet so more checking.

Alvin :)

G

Ok, I'm convinced. I'm going with the quad. By making cuts here and there I got price to stay roughly the same.

Thanks ya'll

G

It took me a few weeks to make up my mind to get a new system. Finally ordered everything on Sunday. Wednesday morning my old system crashes and won't reboot. Looks like problem with OS drive.

What timing? I guess it was time to replace it. :)

Once again, thanks to all of you have have posted great advice on this board.