Sign in with
Your question

Deciding between a few cases for a higher end build

Last response: in Components
September 3, 2007 11:23:06 PM

Ok, recently I saw the video review for the Antec P190 case and I was blown away by the quality of the case i saw. I loved the fact that you get 2x power supplies. I also like the way everything was compartmentalized, and I liked the heavy metal construction. What a great and practical case! However I heard that it has problems stuffing in 2x gtx's.

Is there a similair case to this? My previous computer I sold used a TT Armor, and the quality of the p190 looks wayyyy better. I looked at the P182 and that seems to be a similair case but I just love the dual psu setup. Another thing I liked was the ability to lock the front door which blocks off the power on and etc. And finally, at the front of the case there are two easily removable filters that keep out dust, neat.

So enough with the "I likes". I just want to hear peoples opinions on this.

So here are the cases I am looking at:
Antec P190 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
P182 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SILVERSTONE SST-TJ07 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CM Stacker 832 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any other ideas? I plan on having enough room for 2x gtx's and only am using 2x hd's.
I can get the P190 on buy.com for $360.00 so if I bought it, I wouldn't go to newegg.
Related resources
September 4, 2007 11:32:30 PM

the stacker 832 from what I've heard is a damn solid case. For my new rig I'm planning to nab a Stacker 832 and load it up all with the highest CFM Sony Scythe s-flex fans. It's going to cost quite a bit but it's well worth it.
September 4, 2007 11:42:32 PM

A case is well... a case. You will probably never need two psu's and i have heard that the ones that come with the p190 are not very good. I also heard that the new cm stackers are not very good, just alot of bling and fans, no real directional airflow.

I find that $150+ is way to much for a case. Why not buy a cheaper one, like the cooler master centurion 5? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have heard it has pretty good cooling and if your looking for better you can mod it. At least with a cheap case if your mod goes wrong it isnt $300 down the drain. That centurion 5 should fit dual 8800 gtx's and 2 hdd.

I personally don't like side windows or front so that case may not be for you. But the centurion does come a front mesh with dust filters behind it. The cpu duct can be replaced with a 80mm fan aswell, if you do buy it use screws in the expansion bays. I'm not shure if this is the type of case you want but it is the case i'm going to be using for a future build and my friend just bought one.
September 5, 2007 1:46:47 PM

I personally don't like the idea of spending over 150 for a case but the P190 caught my attention. Maybe the P182 is the better choice for me. Whats the difference between the 82 and the 90?
September 5, 2007 2:46:27 PM

Hey Alex, what didn't you like about your tt armor? I am thinking about getting one of those for my build. what are the specs of the hardware that was in that armor?
a b ) Power supply
September 5, 2007 3:31:26 PM

I wanted a P190 but decided to go for Silverstone TJ09 after all. Here's why:

1. I just hate the dual psu setup. You get a 650W PSU that limits your system and a 550W that stays largely idle. And yes, they are not the best PSUs in the world either. You are better off with a single high-quality 850W PSU.
2. The Antec P190 is not as quiet as the P182, for example.

I would recommend looking at Silverstone (TJ09, TJ07) or Lian-Li (PC-V2000, PC-V2100). They are all expensive but we're talking about a system with $1000 worth of video cards alone.

BTW, if you like the TJ09: it comes with two quiet fans, but for great cooling you should add 3 more. I have added three S-Flex SFF21E fans.
September 6, 2007 12:42:07 AM

In regards to the 2nd last poster. I thought the TT Armor was a great case for the time and it had lots of space however it was basic on the inside and didn't have the features and extras that the new cases have today.

I liked the Silverstone but have yet to see a video for it however liked the pictures and stats. Its a showdown between a P182 SE and a SStone!
a b ) Power supply
September 6, 2007 12:52:48 AM

alex_irvine said:

I liked the Silverstone but have yet to see a video for it however liked the pictures and stats. Its a showdown between a P182 SE and a SStone!

You said "higher end build". If that means 8800 GTX keep in mind that it will fit in the P182 but it will reduce the number of disks you can have and the airflow. P182 was on my short list too but I had to eliminate it because of that.
September 6, 2007 1:56:25 AM

well if you are talking about disks, I will only have 2. If I do have more then it will be no more than 4 ever. The SE version looks great and has this rich black interior. But I will surely look at the Silverstone
a b ) Power supply
September 6, 2007 2:07:32 AM

OK, in that case the P182 is a good match, keep it on the short list.

Is the SE the version with the mirror surface that costs $100 more? That I really can't recommend except maybe for teenagers :) 
September 6, 2007 2:42:04 AM

The mirror finish is ok but it has a coated interior that is smoother and black. I like the interior top coat on the SE better. However it is only 20 bucks more. So not the 100 bucks you were thinking about. The mirror is ok. Comes with a polishing rag! :) 
!