8800 fan speed and heat issue

mistert

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Here will be a brief explanation about fan speed and heat issues based on what I have found. There are some bits and pieces floating around forums but some are not clear. For fan speed use the lastest version of Rivatuner. With RT you don't have to fix the speed of your fan. You can actually have it change speeds based on the core heat. I run the 8800 fan speed at 60 percent all the way to 100 percent based on heat. Here is one site explaning how to do it. http://www.vaguesoft.com/users/dwood/blog/tutorials/rivatuner
Nvidia's ntune is buggy and doesn't report correctly. Kind of ironic since who should be able to make a tool better for a nvidia video card then nvidia.
Now for the heat issue. The 8800 does a odd thing. The fan ejects heat out the back of the case and also inside the case thru openings in the heatsink. The 8800 fan then can draw in that heat trying to cool down the core. Makes no sense. To fix this use a slot fan and place it right under the 8800. This will redirect the heat from the openings in the heatsink out of the case where it belongs. 2D operation before the slot fan; case heat 47c, cpu 33c, core temp 58c, fan speed 80%. After core fan installation in 2D; case heat 41c, cpu 32c, core temp 53c, fan speed 70%. As you can see my case temp dropped and the core temp is cooler with a lower fan speed.
I hopes this helps some of you from going thru the same time consuming testing that I have done. Many kudos goes out to the people that wrote useful information in forums from which some of that information I used in my testing. Good luck.