Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What power supply should I be getting for this PC?

Last response: in Components
Share
September 4, 2007 3:05:01 AM

ok. so here's the computer parts I have so far.

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Harddrive: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

dvd rom drive: just an 8x cd/dvd r/w

I plan to get this video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What power supply should I be getting? I know a small amount about PSU's. I have read that 450 watts isn't enough for that video card. I have also read to make sure that there are 12 volt rails and something about 25A for that video card. I have no idea what to look for with this and I barely understand what I read. lol. I know a good amount about other computer parts but just not PSU's I guess. heh.

I am looking for it to have 2+ sata connections, a floppy connector, a 24 pin mobo connector and 2 pci-e connectors. I also would like the PSU to be 500+ watts. I am looking for a cheap but good quality PSU (always a hard find for anything really. heh) Yeah, Yeah, I know I've got a lot of specifications, but I've been having a really hard time finding a good PSU, as I know so little about them besides the connectors really.

Please help me out here. Newegg products would be the best. Links would help too.

More about : power supply

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2007 4:14:13 AM

paq7512 said:
That is an awesome graphics card, I was gonna get that one too. I love XFX. I would suggest this psu http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-520w-sli-certified-modu...
It is $100 from buy.com, and $140 on newgg.com

Just was going to link the same PSU above ^^. Can't beat it for the price, I think.
For $5 more on the memory you could go with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Did you have a budget with the parts? Are you going to add other parts to the build, that you already have?
Related resources
September 4, 2007 6:51:31 AM

they unfortunately didn't have that ram when I bought my ram back in the spring of this year.

possibly could you guys look up a power supply with 550+ watts? that one looks great and has good reviews but I may want to get another 8800GTS and I want to have enough power for possibly two 8800's.

and in response to lunyone, I do have a budget with the parts and eventually yes, I will add other parts to the build that I have. For now I'm just worried about the PSU. I already have the video card picked and I will pick out the case later this month probably. I do plan eventually to get a decent sound card, but that isn't really important right now. thanks for the help so far. ^_^
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2007 7:19:17 AM

Alicia68 said:
they unfortunately didn't have that ram when I bought my ram back in the spring of this year.

possibly could you guys look up a power supply with 550+ watts? that one looks great and has good reviews but I may want to get another 8800GTS and I want to have enough power for possibly two 8800's.

and in response to lunyone, I do have a budget with the parts and eventually yes, I will add other parts to the build that I have. For now I'm just worried about the PSU. I already have the video card picked and I will pick out the case later this month probably. I do plan eventually to get a decent sound card, but that isn't really important right now. thanks for the help so far. ^_^


http://www.buy.com/prod/Corsair-620w-SLI-Certified-Modu...
September 4, 2007 7:45:44 AM

I should mention that it will deliver a lot of current before it shuts down due to overload. Caution is the word of the day, as it really is with any build.
September 4, 2007 9:56:20 AM

so you posted the silencer PSU, saying that it kicks the crap out of the other one, then said that it would shut down due to overload? lol. are you sure it will overload with what I have so far though? and should I mention that the case I want has two 25 cm fans in it. (yes, 25 cm fans.) hehehehe. ^_^

P.S. I'm so excited to put this thing together, thanks for you guys' maturity and help.
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2007 12:23:26 PM

The 450w or 520w Corsair PSU's would work just fine for what you want to do. The 450w is about $80 and the 520w is $95 at zipzoomfly. Either one will do fine for the 8800gtx. I would pick the 520w, just to have a little more power.
September 4, 2007 1:00:46 PM

You do know that the Corsair 520/620w PSUs are nearly identical to the Silencer 610w. They are all built by Corsair on the same platform.

So to say "One Kicks" over the other is just uninformed nonsense.

Read the reviews on the Corsair 450w, it will show that it can easily handle an 8800GTX. If you want your PSU to handle two of the 8800GTS PSUs, I would shoot for a Seasonic/Corsair/PP&C starting in the low-mid 600w range.

As some have noted, NewEgg tends to be a bit pricey on their PSUs so you may want to shop around for them.
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2007 1:28:59 PM

I think I would go with at least a 700 watt PSU if you plan to go SLI. I think the baseline PSU requirements is 450 watts for a single card.

I myself am thinking maybe more like around 800 watts. I would rather have 100-200 watts over than to be too close or even under specs. If you plan to add more peripherals later you will be glad you went overboard on the PSU.

One other thing, if you want to go SLI and want the full bandwidth usage I would find a motherboard with the 590 chipset. If I understand correctly, on the chipsets previous from the 590 the second PCI express may be a 4x, 8x instead of the 16x like the primary PCI express slot which may slow the speed for both slots to 4x or 8x. Similar thing to adding 1g of 333mhz memory in a system running 400mzh memory, it will slow both sticks to 333mhz.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Antec 900 Gaming Case
Antec 700 Watt PSU
Gigabyte GA M55SLI-S4 Rev.2 mobo
AMD 6000+ AM2 CPU
4G OCZ 6400 800Mhz SLI Memory
EVGA 8800GTX ACS3 768MB Video Card
250G & 200G SATA WD HD
2 Sony DRU 710A DVD Drives
1 Sony DRU 835A LS DVD Drive
Media Center 2005 OS
September 4, 2007 4:26:01 PM

I am really thinking about going between 550-700 watts for the PSU. my mobo would run both the cards at 8x each sli'ed. not a big deal though as I'm not going for bleeding edge technology here and I don't expect 500 FPS on DOD:S (yes, I realize that is an over-exaggeration. heh) I may go with that 620 one. but does it have the amount of amp-age and volt rail thingies for what I have for a computer so far??

and lunyone....like everyone is saying, it's better have to have more watt's than to come up short. I know for a fact 450 watts isn't going to cut it and even if it somehow manages to...then I don't want to risk possibly ******* up my entire PC because of a low wattage/crappy PSU. but thanks for your help anyways.
September 4, 2007 4:53:46 PM

Alicia68 said:
so you posted the silencer PSU, saying that it kicks the crap out of the other one, then said that it would shut down due to overload? lol. are you sure it will overload with what I have so far though? and should I mention that the case I want has two 25 cm fans in it. (yes, 25 cm fans.) hehehehe.
You misread my post.
Quote:
I should mention that it will deliver a lot of current before it shuts down due to overload. Caution is the word of the day, as it really is with any build.
The key words here are "deliver a lot of current before it shuts down". Let me explain. With a 49 amp single rail the Silencer 610 will deliver up to 49 amps before it trips due to an overload condition. So let's say you have something plugged in wrong and you have a condition that you are drawing 40 amps and cooking something. The PS won't, that's right won't, shutdown due to sensing an overload because it won't sense that until 49 amps+ is reached. That was the whole purpose of the ATX12 Spec that limited the maximum current on any 12V rail to 20 amps. The problem with this spec is that you then encounter the "insufficient amperage on the rail" problem. So what I was saying is that the single rail requires more attention to detail on the installation because if you have a short things will get a lot hotter. It is still hands down a better PS specifically due to the single 49 amp rail. Here is the myth page on their web site. You should give it a read.

Power Supply Myths Exposed!

Edit: The silencer 610 will handle your wattage/current needs. Here is a link to a web based PS calculator, see for yourself.
Pay attention to the footnotes or you will get an erroneous number.

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2007 4:58:09 PM

Alicia68 said:
and lunyone....like everyone is saying, it's better have to have more watt's than to come up short. I know for a fact 450 watts isn't going to cut it and even if it somehow manages to...then I don't want to risk possibly ******* up my entire PC because of a low wattage/crappy PSU. but thanks for your help anyways.


Don't know where your " facts " come from , but either of the unit's that lunyone posted would be more than enough for what you have specced out.
Here's some informative reading
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1452/
September 4, 2007 6:57:27 PM

zenmaster said:
You do know that the Corsair 520/620w PSUs are nearly identical to the Silencer 610w. They are all built by Corsair on the same platform.

So to say "One Kicks" over the other is just uninformed nonsense.
Well that is a pretty damning response. Let me see if I can enlighten you on the differences that caused me to make that claim.

First, as near as I can tell, both the Corsair 620W and the PC&C Silencer 610 are made by Seasonic, not Corsair. A good choice by the way. However, these power supplies are made to the specifications of the respective companies.

That brings us to the differences between these two power supplies that cause me to comment that the Silencer kicks the crap out of the Corsair. The really big one is the fact that the Corsair has three 12V rails of 18 amps each with a combined amperage of 50 amps. Again, you have to worry about how you distribute the load over the rails. Yes I am aware of the "rail sharing" which is basically just a higher rating per rail. The Silencer comes with a single 49 amp rail, so no worry about whether the load is distributed properly between the rails because there is only one. Also, there are no concerns about unused power being locked away on a rail that is not fully utilized.

The second shortcoming of the corsair is the cheesy modular cabling. Modular connections can present additional resistance to the PS, especially as they loosen up and oxidize over time. They are only used by people that want to have a "pretty" case to show off to their friends. I have found that the unused cables can always be tucked away as not to dramatically affect air flow.

The Price grabber minimum price for the Corsair 620 is $150.00. Newegg is $169.99 with a $30.00 rebate bringing the best price to $139.99 assuming you ever get the rebate. The Silencer 610 is $119.99 from the PC&C website.

Don't get me wrong the Corsair 620 is a fine PS it just, in my opinion, falls significantly short of the Silencer 610 for the reasons just stated.

In Corsairs defense they do have a 5 year warranty compared to PC&Cs 3 year. Although, the whole idea behind buying a top tier PS is so that it doesn't blow up, because obviously any components that it takes with it are not covered under the PS warranty.
September 4, 2007 8:09:39 PM

Quote:
God I wish you people would learn to read. I would not run two SLI's 8800GTX's on a 450 or 520w. I would go high quality minimum of 620-650w.
I agree, I would get the Silencer 610, as I have said many times on this thread. But maybe it is you that should learn to read because her link was to this card

XFX PVT80GGHD4 GeForce 8800GTS 320MB You see, GTS not GTX.

Although it is a moot point because loaded with 2 DVD drives, 2 cards in SLI, CPU utilization @100% and a couple of fans, the eXtreme Calculator is still coming up with 422w. Of course the minimum GTX in SLI drives it up to 475w.

This article posted by DellUser1 is kind of interesting. Real world power usage appears to be lower than the PSU calculator indicates.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1452/
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2007 2:01:23 AM

Quote:
God I wish you people would learn to read. I would not run two SLI's 8800GTX's on a 450 or 520w. I would go high quality minimum of 620-650w.

Look, I missed her last post of wanting to use 2 8800's later in life. I originally posted the PSU's for 1 8800 and not 2. If I hadn't of missed the requirement for 2 8800's than I wouldn't of posted the PSU's that I had. Sorry for the distraction, I usually am more cognizant of the questions at hand.
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2007 4:08:17 AM

Based on my current system configuration the calculator says I use 643 watts. I have a 700 watt and was using a 650 before moving it to another setup due to thinking I wasn't getting quite enough wattage.

Thats still too close for my comfort and I think I will start looking for a 1000 watt PSU. I plan to go SLI soon and it says I will use 763 watts.

I guess my intuition was on the money. Thanks for the link to that calculator. I will have to put that in my favs...

Antec 900 Gaming Case
Antec 700 Watt PSU
Gigabyte GA M55SLI-S4 Rev.2 mobo
AMD 6000+ AM2 CPU
4G OCZ 6400 800Mhz SLI Memory
EVGA 8800GTX ACS3 768MB Video Card
250G & 200G SATA WD HD
2 Sony DRU 710A DVD Drives
1 Sony DRU 835A LS DVD Drive
Media Center 2005 OS
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2007 4:34:07 AM

englandr753 said:
Based on my current system configuration the calculator says I use 643 watts. I have a 700 watt and was using a 650 before moving it to another setup due to thinking I wasn't getting quite enough wattage.

Thats still too close for my comfort and I think I will start looking for a 1000 watt PSU. I plan to go SLI soon and it says I will use 763 watts.

I guess my intuition was on the money. Thanks for the link to that calculator. I will have to put that in my favs...

Antec 900 Gaming Case
Antec 700 Watt PSU
Gigabyte GA M55SLI-S4 Rev.2 mobo
AMD 6000+ AM2 CPU
4G OCZ 6400 800Mhz SLI Memory
EVGA 8800GTX ACS3 768MB Video Card
250G & 200G SATA WD HD
2 Sony DRU 710A DVD Drives
1 Sony DRU 835A LS DVD Drive
Media Center 2005 OS

Did you read the link also posted in the forum?
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1452/

Not sure your going to need 1000w, but it's your money
September 5, 2007 4:51:55 PM

englandr753 said:
Based on my current system configuration the calculator says I use 643 watts. I have a 700 watt and was using a 650 before moving it to another setup due to thinking I wasn't getting quite enough wattage.

Thats still too close for my comfort and I think I will start looking for a 1000 watt PSU. I plan to go SLI soon and it says I will use 763 watts.

I guess my intuition was on the money. Thanks for the link to that calculator. I will have to put that in my favs...

Antec 900 Gaming Case
Antec 700 Watt PSU
Gigabyte GA M55SLI-S4 Rev.2 mobo
AMD 6000+ AM2 CPU
4G OCZ 6400 800Mhz SLI Memory
EVGA 8800GTX ACS3 768MB Video Card
250G & 200G SATA WD HD
2 Sony DRU 710A DVD Drives
1 Sony DRU 835A LS DVD Drive
Media Center 2005 OS


I don't know what you did, but you screwed up big time. I ran the calculator with your CPU, cpu utilization @100%, high end desktop board, 4 sticks of DDR2, 2 Sata HDs, 3 dvdrw drives, 3 led fans and an 8800 ultra and came up with 498 watts.

You probably set 2 processors and God knows what else, that is the number of sockets. Read the foot notes or you will get an erroneous number.

Edit: I ran it with 2 8800 ultras in SLI and came up with 612 watts. That is with 100% CPU utilization and 2 hotter graphics cards. I also believe the calculator has a little slop built into it. 87% of full load so you should be OK, although that is close to max.

By the way I can't find an Antec 700 watt PS.
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2007 3:49:27 AM

I stand corrected. My PSU was an Antec 650 watt unit and I switched to the Ultra XVS 700 watt unit. Good catch.

Also, I may have selected dual cpu thinking dual core but I went back and carefully selected my exact hardware specs and I came up with 536 watts with a single card and 657 with SLI. I use the card below the ultra that is 626 mhz.

I read thru it 3 times to make sure I got it right.

Also, I have 5 120mm led fans and 1 200 mm non-led fan. I chose the 250mm fan since there wasn't a better option.


Antec 900 Gaming Case
Ultra XVS 700 Watt PSU
Gigabyte GA M55SLI-S4 Rev.2 mobo
AMD 6000+ AM2 CPU
4G OCZ 6400 800Mhz SLI Memory
EVGA 8800GTX ACS3 768MB Video Card
250G & 200G SATA WD HD
2 Sony DRU 710A DVD Drives
1 Sony DRU 835A LS DVD Drive
Media Center 2005 OS
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2007 3:32:53 PM

englandr753 said:
I stand corrected. My PSU was an Antec 650 watt unit and I switched to the Ultra XVS 700 watt unit.


Switching to the Ultra was probably not such a great idea if you have thoughts about going SLI.
The Antec TPT 650 can provide up to 52 amps on the +12v rails and Ultra XVS 700 only provides 40.
September 6, 2007 4:00:33 PM

in future just list the spec dont give links its such a waste of time for us.
September 6, 2007 4:51:08 PM

Actually, after taking some real measurements off my machines and assuming that the 8800 "might" at some point draw 135watts I would be surprised if your setup ever draws more than 350 watts.

I am growing more and more sceptical of the continued recommendation to use bigger and bigger power supplies.

dave
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2007 5:58:31 PM

lunyone said:
Did you read the link also posted in the forum?
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1452/

Not sure your going to need 1000w, but it's your money


The article purports to show that the eXtreme Power supply calculator grossly overstates PSU requirements. The author provides what he says are the calculators requirements for several components of his system and the readings for his actual power consumption - 304W after adjustment for PSU efficiency. Howvever he never lists the total requirement calculated for his system. I ran the calculator for the components he listed and it recommended a PSU of 390W. With such a PSU, based on his measurements, at full load he would be at 78% of the capacity of the PSU. That seems to me to be a pretty reasonable recommendation for a new PSU. It provides allowances for upgrades, different voltage rails (the lite calculator does not show rails so it would be wrong to assume a perfect match), aging, and a safety margin.

It appears that several other posters above also refer to the results of the calculator as system requirements , then talk of purchasing a larger power supply - and then complaining that it might be too large. The problem is not the calculator but how some are misinterpreting the results. The calculator results clearly state "Recommended PSU Wattage" not watts consumed.

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2007 6:47:38 PM

rockyjohn said:
The problem is not the calculator but how some are misinterpreting the results. The calculator results clearly state "Recommended PSU Wattage" not watts consumed.

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 


Gold Star for you. :D 
September 7, 2007 2:25:49 AM

rockyjohn said:
It appears that several other posters above also refer to the results of the calculator as system requirements , then talk of purchasing a larger power supply - and then complaining that it might be too large. The problem is not the calculator but how some are misinterpreting the results. The calculator results clearly state "Recommended PSU Wattage" not watts consumed.

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
I'm assuming that I am not targeted in your rant. However if I am I present this quote from my earlier post
Quote:
I also believe the calculator has a little slop built into it.
I don't believe in going crazy with the size of the PS, but 78% is too high for me. I think that 60-65% is about right. This gives a little more headroom for adding or upgrading components and for capacitor aging. I usually keep my PS for several years. Plus the PS will run a little cooler if it isn't running balls to the wall, and cooler IMO means less aging of the components in a given period of time. [:zorg]
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2007 2:37:06 AM

:lol:  You think I rant? :lol: 

:love:  But what I don't understand is - and I say this very
sincerely - you say the calculator puts in too much
slop - then you take the example and say you would
want a larger PSU to have more headroom. Doesn't
this mean the calculator does not put in enough
headroom or slop. Now you have me very confused. :kaola:  :kaola: 

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
September 9, 2007 4:26:25 AM

delluser1, I put in the first post that I read 450 watts wasn't enough from a reputable source, I do not need you to tell me that I'm wrong and in such an unneeded sarcastic manner. Also, 450 watts sli'ed with 2 LED 25 cm fans and all the other stuff that I calculated in my self on that psu calculator website that everyone was recommending and now is saying that it's full of um... "slop" came out to 493 watts. I want to be safe with at least 550 or more as I have specified and don't need people to get upset with me for making a specification.

To those with respect here and a little maturity thank you all for the information you have given me so far and I will come to my own decision and update you guys once I have made it.
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2007 2:39:54 PM

No more sarcasm than the arrogance displayed by someone seeking advice. It was not my intention, but I do see where it would be taken that way.
Look for a little maturity and respect in yourself and then seek it from others.
Good luck with your upgrades.
September 9, 2007 10:11:13 PM

rockyjohn said:
:lol:  You think I rant? :lol: 

:love:  But what I don't understand is - and I say this very
sincerely - you say the calculator puts in too much
slop - then you take the example and say you would
want a larger PSU to have more headroom. Doesn't
this mean the calculator does not put in enough
headroom or slop. Now you have me very confused. :kaola:  :kaola: 

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
OK let me help you understand. The key words in my quote were
Quote:
I also believe the calculator has a little slop built into it. 87% of full load so you should be OK, although that is close to max.
not too much slop. So if you take the time to read and comprehend instead of formulating your response then maybe you would realize that no response was needed. I do appreciate the fact that you were sincere, even though you completely misread my post. As far as the rest of my post I'm guessing you misread that as well, considering the fact that you couldn't understand it. I will repost it because it speaks for itself. Try reading it again maybe you will understand my position. If you still have trouble understanding my post let me know and I will clarify it for you[:zorg]
Quote:
I don't believe in going crazy with the size of the PS, but 78% is too high for me. I think that 60-65% is about right. This gives a little more headroom for adding or upgrading components and for capacitor aging. I usually keep my PS for several years. Plus the PS will run a little cooler if it isn't running balls to the wall, and cooler IMO means less aging of the components in a given period of time.
September 9, 2007 10:13:59 PM

I guess people are arrogant by listing specifications???? I'd ask you to state exactly where I was being arrogant, but it matters not. I had no intentions and did not come onto this forum being immature and disrespectful to anyone. I asked what I should get and listed specifications for what I wanted, there is no arrogance in doing something like that.
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2007 6:20:47 AM

Zorg said:
Well that is a pretty damning response. Let me see if I can enlighten you on the differences that caused me to make that claim...

That brings us to the differences between these two power supplies that cause me to comment that the Silencer kicks the crap out of the Corsair. The really big one is the fact that the Corsair has three 12V rails of 18 amps each with a combined amperage of 50 amps. Again, you have to worry about how you distribute the load over the rails. Yes I am aware of the "rail sharing" which is basically just a higher rating per rail. The Silencer comes with a single 49 amp rail, so no worry about whether the load is distributed properly between the rails because there is only one. Also, there are no concerns about unused power being locked away on a rail that is not fully utilized.


Anyone familiar with PSUs knows that a lot of manufacturers claim to have multiple 12V rails when they really don't - instead they have multiple leads and connectors to a single rail. The Corsair HX 620W power supply is one of these and the essentially single rail is reported in the johnnyguru review at:

http://jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=32&page_num=...

Zorg - if you wish to be condescending and "enlighten" others you need to get your facts straight.




a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2007 6:41:57 AM

Zorg said:
. Real world power usage appears to be lower than the PSU calculator indicates.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1452/


Zorg, I don't need you to help me understand, to clarify, or to enlighten me. Your quote above was before the ones I cited earlier about the PSU calculator and was one of many, along with the article that was the focus of my post, that confuses the output of the PSU calculator. It calculates the recommended size of the PSU not PSU usage. I wrote a very informative and considerate article - and did not single out you or any other poster - to correct misleading information that was being posted.

Like the one a few posts above, your response was condescending and in particular accused me of ranting - a baseless and specious attack.



September 12, 2007 7:55:25 AM

rockyjohn said:
Zorg, I don't need you to help me understand, to clarify, or to enlighten me. Your quote above was before the ones I cited earlier about the PSU calculator and was one of many, along with the article that was the focus of my post, that confuses the output of the PSU calculator. It calculates the recommended size of the PSU not PSU usage. I wrote a very informative and considerate article - and did not single out you or any other poster - to correct misleading information that was being posted.

Like the one a few posts above, your response was condescending and in particular accused me of ranting - a baseless and specious attack.
What you wrote was a post not an article. I determined that you were ranting based on the tone of your post and the fact that you included the :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  as though you were all up in arms about how stupid all of the previous posters were.
Quote:
It appears that several other posters above also refer to the results of the calculator as system requirements , then talk of purchasing a larger power supply - and then complaining that it might be too large.
I just wanted to be sure that I was not included in your reproach. the phrases "a little slop" and "Real world power usage appears to be lower than the PSU calculator indicates." would be an accurate as.sesment. In other words the PSU calculator will provide a higher number than what is actually drawn by the configuration in question. Obviously, you did need me to help you understand, to clarify, or to enlighten you, because you completely misquoted me. And then proceeded to act as though you were all confused so innocently. HA HA you are so witty.

As far as Corsair using a single rail while posting the 18 amp per rail on the sticker on the PSU, that is indeed the case. I question the legality of this practice and at a minimum it opens them up to possible lawsuits due to false advertising and any damage that might result from fire. I prefer a large single rail, as a result I have changed my opinion of their PSUs to some degree. I am still not a fan of the modular ribbon cables. I had heard a while ago that some of the less reputable PSU companies were not complying with the ATX12V standard while stating that they were in compliance. I didn't think Corsair would do something like that, but obviously they did. They should at least change the sticker, and additionally they should change the marketing to accurately reflect the configuration. I guess that is between them and the sanctioning bodies.

Edit: By the way, almost all of the PSU manufacturers use, and have used, a "single rail" in that they do not have separate regulation for the "additional rails". The "rails" are only separated by overload circuitry in order to comply with the ATX12V standard.
!