Sign in with
Your question

intel DG33FB heating issues

Last response: in Motherboards
September 18, 2007 4:21:55 AM

hi,

i am new here and this is my first post at the forums. i have last week configured a new system with the following config:

intel DG33FB. intel c2d 2.33ghz, 2gb transcend 667mhz ram, 500gb seagate sata hdd, 160gb samsung ide hdd, 16x sony dvd burner, 400w vip smps and vip 868 cabinet.

the systems performance is good but i have noticed some heating issues with the ICH. ever since i have assembled this system, the system tempratures are somewhat like this:

processor temprature 41*c
motherboatd temp 42*c
ICH
i/o controller hub 85*c
MCH
memory controller hub 67*c

what i wanna know here is why is the ICH heating so bad? i have noted these tempratures when i have started my system a fresh and they remain like this all day and never come down, specially the ICH beeing the concern.

i have noted these tempratures by comparing them on the BIOS and intel desktop utilities which i had installed from the motherboard cd.

i would be glad if someone could help me with this issue...
September 29, 2007 9:27:14 AM

I ve got the same problem, can anybody help?

Intel DG33FB
Core 2 Duo E6550. 2.33GHz @ 1333FSB
1.2GB 667 RAM
250GB Hitachi SATA
XFX GF8500GT
Windows XP x64

@ Idling;

Processor 44*c
Motherboard 40*c
ICH (Southbridge) 75*c
MCH (Northbridge) 67*c

Processor Fan 928 RPM
Chasis Side Panel; Lower Inlet 1678 RPM
Chasis Rear Exhaust Out; Processor Zone @ Max RPM ; Not Monitored
Hard Drive Cooler @ Max RPM ; Not Monitored
October 17, 2007 8:53:35 PM

Looks like this is a common "issue". In quotes because I'm new to the game and I don't know if that ICH temp is a problem.

I recently put together my very first build, using a DG33FB MB, an E6550, 2 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, a Nvidia 8600 GT w/onboard fan, and a Cooler Master Centurion 5 case. All fans are stock, nothing is OC'd. I get roughly the same temps the above two posters are getting, according to Intel's Desktop Utilities app; ICH temp is at 50c after boot, 78c at idle after 10 minutes.

Is this normal? Some basic googling has told me that there are a few others reporting similar problems, and the basic consensus seems to be that while it is within the board's operating range, it still seems rather high.

Can anyone else shed some light on this? And perhaps offer a cooling solution if it is indeed an abnormal temperature?
Related resources
December 1, 2007 2:47:53 AM

Hi All,
It seems this is normal temrature for DG33FB

My Configuration
Intel DG33FB
Core 2 Duo E6550. 2.33GHz @ 1333FSB
1 GB 667 RAM
160GB Segate SATA
Windows XP

@ Idling;

Processor 52*c
Motherboard 49*c
ICH (Southbridge) 80*c
MCH (Northbridge) 67*c
Processor Fan 930 RPM

it shows all in green, no alerts. I have not changed any default setting for alerts. so it is assumed that it will be normal.

I wanted some important help from u all, i apologise if this issues already solved in another post which i could not find.

Issue: My SATA harddisk is running in IDE mode only
XP is not detecting hd when sata set to AHCI.
I searched alot but not found any solution specific to DG33FB,
I downloaded Intel Matrix Storage Manager, but at the time of installation it shows 'Your computer does not meet minimum requirements'.
Our m.board is also not providing any SCSI driver floppy. drivers not found on intel website too

Please help me how do you all have configured your SATA Hd for WinXp.

Thanks a lottt
Neel / 1-dec-07
June 28, 2008 9:16:17 PM

me have bought an dg33fb with 3.00 Mzh procc. i am in to video editing. I am Able to capture video in ulead Movie Fact 8, But when i try to capture in edius 3.00 the video is not right or not able to capture
June 28, 2008 9:18:47 PM

hi vivek
Need help very badly, any comm. please send it 2 viveksarna@sify.com
August 29, 2008 6:41:05 PM

same problem, 71 deg C, clipped a small fan on ICH heatsink and now it is at 56 deg C
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2009 5:46:19 AM

Hi all,

If you see the sensor threshholds in the intel active monitor ! for ICH it is like 115 degrees limit whereas others have 80 segree limit ! Its actually cuz of the new 12 USB ports thing! but its normal and you dont have to worry about it!
i have a two SLI cards and 4 GB ram and quad core but you dont have to worry! it never goes over 90!
so its cool!
October 30, 2009 3:50:39 AM

I too have this problem and I've had my board replaced thrice by Intel now. My ICH temperature routinely touches 89 - 90 degrees while idle and cross 99 degrees while gaming. All this after my cabinet is kept open and the airconditioner is on!

While there seems to be a problem with the DG33FB board itself (which Intel is not prepared to accept), it also seems to be compounded by the placement of the ICH near the PCI-Express slot.

I have an nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS card which when fitted sits directly on top of the ICH. This could severly block air circulation and increase the ICH temperature.
!