funny blotch in my Sony Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD - H..

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 4, 2005 6:26:32 PM

Hello,

I have a funny yellow blotch, localized in the lower right corner of my 42"
Sony Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD TV. When the television is showing
images is a yellow blotch. Looking close up to the iluminated screen with
no images playing, it looks like lines scribbled, think etcha-sketch lines.

The TV is 1 1/2 years old.

Has anyone seen this before. Any thoughts before I call for service?

Thanks kindly for any help you can offer.

--
Louis
Anonymous

Louis: I hope that you have an extended service plan on your set. Why, The
cost of the Light Engine to repair the Etch-A-
Sketch design. Highly probable that one of the LCD plates has sustained a
failure. Already seen way too many of these. Not really a difficult job for
the trained technician but the price is a bit of a bite. Call an Authorized
Sony Service, explain to them the symptom, and ask for an estimate for the
complete repairs.
"Louis McEniry" <louis@trirfoods.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a funny yellow blotch, localized in the lower right corner of my
> 42" Sony Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD TV. When the television is
> showing images is a yellow blotch. Looking close up to the iluminated
> screen with no images playing, it looks like lines scribbled, think
> etcha-sketch lines.
>
> The TV is 1 1/2 years old.
>
> Has anyone seen this before. Any thoughts before I call for service?
>
> Thanks kindly for any help you can offer.
>
> --
> Louis

April 4, 2005 10:53:50 PM

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o tKdned5ComNCczfRVn-pg@comcast.com...
Highly probable that one of the LCD plates has sustained a
> failure. Already seen way too many of these. Not really a difficult job
for
> the trained technician but the price is a bit of a bite. Call an
Authorized
> Sony Service, explain to them the symptom, and ask for an estimate for the
> complete repairs.

How expensive is that and is it common with newer models too and, is it more
common in Sony vs. others?
Thanks
April 5, 2005 1:04:38 PM

"Louis McEniry" <louis@trirfoods.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a funny yellow blotch, localized in the lower right corner of my
42"
> Sony Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD TV. When the television is showing
> images is a yellow blotch. Looking close up to the iluminated screen with
> no images playing, it looks like lines scribbled, think etcha-sketch
lines.

You sure it's not a dust blob?

- Dan
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:30:38 PM

Art, Dan,

Thanks for your comments.

I looked again last night. They are distinctive lines...looks to be on the
first layer or so beneath the outer plastic lense. I wondered if possibly
it was a bug making tracks..looks strange. But my etchaSketch image still
seems reasonable.

I am afraid I will have to call the Sony man...

Thanks again,

Louis

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o tKdned5ComNCczfRVn-pg@comcast.com...
> Louis: I hope that you have an extended service plan on your set. Why, The
> cost of the Light Engine to repair the Etch-A-
> Sketch design. Highly probable that one of the LCD plates has sustained a
> failure. Already seen way too many of these. Not really a difficult job
> for the trained technician but the price is a bit of a bite. Call an
> Authorized Sony Service, explain to them the symptom, and ask for an
> estimate for the complete repairs.
> "Louis McEniry" <louis@trirfoods.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a funny yellow blotch, localized in the lower right corner of my
>> 42" Sony Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD TV. When the television is
>> showing images is a yellow blotch. Looking close up to the iluminated
>> screen with no images playing, it looks like lines scribbled, think
>> etcha-sketch lines.
>>
>> The TV is 1 1/2 years old.
>>
>> Has anyone seen this before. Any thoughts before I call for service?
>>
>> Thanks kindly for any help you can offer.
>>
>> --
>> Louis

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:01:32 PM

I have this too!! Mine is in the top right hand corner. I like your
etch-a-sketch analogy but to me it looks like a scale or gradation indictor
like you would find on a thermometer or syringe. Mine makes a distinctive
"X" shape. Too bad we couldn't have paid more for these televisions; the
problems are certainly one-of-a-kind!

I have a Sony KF-50WE620, so it might not be a screen issue. Off to the net
to see what I can find. First stop: SONY!

Please report back if you find anything out. Thanks.

"Louis McEniry" <louis@trirfoods.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a funny yellow blotch, localized in the lower right corner of my
> 42" Sony Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD TV. When the television is
> showing images is a yellow blotch. Looking close up to the iluminated
> screen with no images playing, it looks like lines scribbled, think
> etcha-sketch lines.
>
> The TV is 1 1/2 years old.
>
> Has anyone seen this before. Any thoughts before I call for service?
>
> Thanks kindly for any help you can offer.
>
> --
> Louis

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 10:51:44 PM

I checked out AVS Forum and searched the model number of our tv. Noticed
that several others have reported the identical problem (some even included
photos of the screen problem)! Looks like we have a common issue that needs
to be resolved. At this time, hope you have a good warranty...it's an
expensive fix.

Check out the site www.avsforum.com

Good luck

"edee em" <emarano@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>I have this too!! Mine is in the top right hand corner. I like your
>etch-a-sketch analogy but to me it looks like a scale or gradation indictor
>like you would find on a thermometer or syringe. Mine makes a distinctive
>"X" shape. Too bad we couldn't have paid more for these televisions; the
>problems are certainly one-of-a-kind!
>
> I have a Sony KF-50WE620, so it might not be a screen issue. Off to the
> net to see what I can find. First stop: SONY!
>
> Please report back if you find anything out. Thanks.
>
> "Louis McEniry" <louis@trirfoods.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a funny yellow blotch, localized in the lower right corner of my
>> 42" Sony Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD TV. When the television is
>> showing images is a yellow blotch. Looking close up to the iluminated
>> screen with no images playing, it looks like lines scribbled, think
>> etcha-sketch lines.
>>
>> The TV is 1 1/2 years old.
>>
>> Has anyone seen this before. Any thoughts before I call for service?
>>
>> Thanks kindly for any help you can offer.
>>
>> --
>> Louis

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:53:20 AM

BTW: Sony actually has a Bulletin on their authorized site for servicers
that does explain the symptom and repair necessary. The repair does indeed
require replacement of the Light Engine.<
news:D DE4e.249$K24.163@read1.cgocable.net...
>I checked out AVS Forum and searched the model number of our tv. Noticed
>that several others have reported the identical problem (some even included
>photos of the screen problem)! Looks like we have a common issue that
>needs to be resolved. At this time, hope you have a good warranty...it's
>an expensive fix.
>
> Check out the site www.avsforum.com
>
> Good luck
>

> "edee em" <emarano@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>>I have this too!! Mine is in the top right hand corner. I like your
>>etch-a-sketch analogy but to me it looks like a scale or gradation
>>indictor like you would find on a thermometer or syringe. Mine makes a
>>distinctive "X" shape. Too bad we couldn't have paid more for these
>>televisions; the problems are certainly one-of-a-kind!
>>
>> I have a Sony KF-50WE620, so it might not be a screen issue. Off to the
>> net to see what I can find. First stop: SONY!
>>
>> Please report back if you find anything out. Thanks.
>>
>> "Louis McEniry" <louis@trirfoods.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a funny yellow blotch, localized in the lower right corner of my
>>> 42" Sony Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD TV. When the television is
>>> showing images is a yellow blotch. Looking close up to the iluminated
>>> screen with no images playing, it looks like lines scribbled, think
>>> etcha-sketch lines.
>>>
>>> The TV is 1 1/2 years old.
>>>
>>> Has anyone seen this before. Any thoughts before I call for service?
>>>
>>> Thanks kindly for any help you can offer.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Louis

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:13:29 PM

> BTW: Sony actually has a Bulletin on their authorized site for servicers
> that does explain the symptom and repair necessary. The repair does indeed
> require replacement of the Light Engine.<

<SNIP>

Ah, a crack, that sounds like a good answer for the described problem...

- Dan
!