AMD X2 4800+ - how did it get so hot?

madadder

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Hey guys, I've been running an AMD X2 4800+ Socket 939 for almost 1 year now (upgraded from a 3500+ single core CPU).

I played around with OC'ing it a lot when I first got it. I was able to get it it to load windows on stock cooling at 2880hz, (12x240FSB). It idled in the mid 40's and went as high as 59 or so at max load.

Deciding that I didn't really need all that speed at the time, I set it back to the default 2.4 gigahertz, but was happy that I was able to get it as high as I was.

However, it seems like recently I can't get as good results when trying to overclocking it. The highest I can get Windows to start it under is if I set the FSB to 228. It won't even load at 240!

Currently at stock settings my CPU idles at 40C and hits up to 56C at load.

I haven't added any new hardware, and didn't do anything differently with regards to OC settings between now and what I was getting back when I first got the chip. Is it possible that the OC I did back then damaged it and now it won't go as fast?

Here's my rig -

Thermaltake Tsunami Case
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 mobo
AMD X2 4800+ CPU
2x sticks of Corsair 512MB CMX512-3200C2 RAM
1 stick of Corsair 1GB VS1GB400C3 RAM
2x SATA HD's
nVidia 7800GT vid card
Windows XP Pro SP2

Even if it is damaged, I think I'll continue to use it at stock settings. Socket 939 is obsolete, I'm just waiting to upgrade, because a new CPU would also mean a new MOBO and RAM, heck, basically a new computer with that lol.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Try taking the heat sink off and reapplying some thermal paste.

If it's still running hot you've got something else wrong.. but I'd guess that first.

If it's not loading.. drop some more voltage into it.

madadder

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Good advice. I'll pick up some Arctic Silver 5 and try that. I'm pretty sure I didn't do any removing / applying of thermal paste when I swapped out the CPU and heatsink / fan.