page file and ready boost ????

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
I currently using a vista ultimate 32 bit 3.17GIG of ram and has a 2GIG ready boost..... Now my question is,,, is it possible for me to turn off the page file on the disk since I have a 2gig ready boost ?

I don't think so. My understanding is that the page file and readyboost store different things. Vista assumes that you may pull out the usb readyboost device at any time and will not store essential data on it. It knows that the page file is permanently attached.

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
I turned off my page file on my hd and used my 2 gig flash drive for my 32 bit xp.... it seem to work just fine....

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
it will make ur hd work less..... and to my experience it seem to work faster now that im using the flash drive....

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
open lots of application and it can handle it, by the way I have 2 sata drive and I open different application with those drive

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
ram memory are max 3gig 32 bit xp.... its stable without page file .... will wait 'till it crush .... but 4 the time being I love what I got....

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
the only thing I am worried about is the flash drive itself since it will be use more frequently..... Is it possible to overheat ???

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
I was going to do the same on my vista 32 bit but the darn operating system will only use more memory (I have a dual boot "32 bit xp & vista ultimate 32 bit")

The problem isn't the flash memory, it's the limits imposed by the interface. To my recollection, the reason Vista has Boost is the onset of Hybrid Drives which contain your regular magnetic spinning drive AND a 32 MB / 64 MB "super cache" if you will. With a hybrid drive, attached via SATA, you eliminate the USB bottleneck and then Boost will actually boost performance. As yet, base dupon the hybrid reviews I ahve read, it's not quite lived up to its potential....as yet.

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
update:

I used to score 15,000 on 3dmark3 now with just a flash drive it went down on 6,000... it did slow down on this particular application.... but whenever I tried open on my desktop, wow,,, its faster than I click it... and usually whenever I ran an antivirus (kaspersky) i can't watch any movies (will freez up)... but now with just a flash drive as page file I can do that... I guess to some point it was better and im keeping it this way because im not really playing any games yet....

The time to do an I/O is composed of two parts. Positioning, and data transfer. Positioning on a hard drive requires moving the arm, and 1/2 rotation. This part is almost instantaneous with a flash drive. The second part is data transfer, so for large blocks, a hdd is much faster. Vista recognizes this difference and will only use ready boost for small block writes.

As to use for a page file, with ddr2 prices so low these days, it is much better to just get more memory so you don't have to page so much.

Common misconception. While certainly true on say 512 MB systems, at 2GB and up, it just doesn't hold, at least not under XP. Most people think that Windows doesn't page out until it runs outta physical memory. That's very far from true. Check it out for yaself. Open a few programs including you browser, adobe acrobat, run an antivirus scan.....not enough so as to run outta physical memory. Open task manager, go to the performance tab and look at the Physical Memory box and you will see 3 listings, the middle one which is amount of physical memory "available". Right now I have 1.3 GB of my 2 GB free on this laptop.

Now for what's really happening. Go to the Processes tab, hit View / Select columns and make sure both memory usage and VM Size are checked. How many processes have paged out a portion of themselves to Virtual memory ? I'll bet every single one of them....well except system idle process. Many of them will have more than 50% of themselves paged out. Open up a game...I just closed all but my browser and then loaded "The Saga of Ryzom" and it put just about half of itself (645MB) in RAM and the rest in VM....and there's still almost a full GB of physical memory "available".

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
that's not a great test. programs are designed to put as little in ram as possible to allow for 512mb systems. if you turned off the page file those programs would have to load completely to ram, which should improve performance. I don't know the answer to this question, but the test you described was flawed.

edit: Ahhh! now I get what you're saying. sorry, I had to reread your post. yes, more ram doesn't mean the pagefile stops being used, programs will still use it when they can.

TRENDING THREADS