Over Clocking a Q6600 on a ASROCK 4CoreDual-VSTA Motherboard

MythicEVIL

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Im trying to over clock my Q6600 on a ASROCK 4CoreDual-VSTA Motherboard.
Has anyone used this combination?
I have done searches but was unable to find any examples on what options to change and what to change them too...
Im very new to OCing and would love to know what settings others have found to be the fastest but most stable speed.

BTW, I have a NVIDIA 7800 AGP card and 2GB DDR2 667 Memory.

m1ddy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
have you read the overclocking C2D and quads in the sticky at the top of this forum? It might be hard to find a guide using the exact same combination of hardware that you are running.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Read the sticky.

I really doubt you will get much more than 3.0 or 3.2 stable out of that board (if that). It's not exactly built for OCing a quad.

You don't need to know to change X setting on X motherboard. You learn what clock speed is, you learn a multiplier, and you learn vCore. You then apply that to your setup and tweak as needed. People asking for "I have a Q6600 and I want to OC it to 3.0 GHz what do I change" gets annoying.

MythicEVIL

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Not intended to be annoying but I didnt really didnt want to go through to much for just a one time alteration on the bios. I realize I might not get it overclocked much with this motherboard. Just wanted to know if anyone else has these two items so I dont have to go through all the trial and error process...

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Even if someone has the exact same setup as you, that doesn't necessarily mean that you will get the same overclocking results. Some identical chips/mobos overclock like champs, others will barely run at their rated speed. Unfortunately, to overclock a machine correctly (I just figured this out myself) you have to set small increments, stress it, bump it up again, stress it, etc. It's all trial and error figuring out YOUR hardware maximums.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I have that mobo on another of my PC's but with an E6600 (half of a q6600) you can up the FSB to 300 Mhz then it throws a wobbley no matter what you do. Has very basic bios and limits you loads. Tops i can get out of it is 2.7Ghz thats with the 1.5vcore pin mod aswell!!!! Just leave everything on auto an ramp up the fsb. I was lucky, some ppl with the same board can only get up to 290FSb max. You should get it up to 2.7Ghz like me but if you want the most out of it, get a new mobo it has little to no future proofing only AGP & PCI-E support for GFX. Would have been good year or two ago but now it has annoyed me and probably anyone else who owns it... :fou:

Very easy to o/c intels so your lucky. BTW if you fail your o/c that mobo sucks at defaulting BIOS u have to either reset the jumper or turn pc off an disconnect at the back for 10 mins.