Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Q6600 to 3.2ghz vs PC8500 Settings !!!

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
November 20, 2007 3:32:50 PM

Hi I need some assitance for setting up my memory right !!

I have a Q6600 that is currently OC'd to 3.0Ghz ( 9x333) and my memory is running at 666 which is double the amount of CPU FSB. Now my memory is pc8500 so 1066 DDR2 .... my first question is what's the timing right now on my memory since i'm running it 1:1 with the cpu fsb ?!

I want to kick my CPU upto 3.2Ghz (8x400) , now If set the memory to run at 800mhz to match the cpu fsb how is that going to effect my memory which is 1066mhz native and what timmings am I actually getting on my memory ?!!?

my memory's default timings are (5-5-5-15) so again the question is when I run them memory on 800mhz instead of 1066mhz what's the timing then and is that gonna overheat or effect the ram in a way or another ?!?!

Thanks
November 20, 2007 3:39:20 PM

leefuji said:
Hi I need some assitance for setting up my memory right !!

I have a Q6600 that is currently OC'd to 3.0Ghz ( 9x333) and my memory is running at 666 which is double the amount of CPU FSB. Now my memory is pc8500 so 1066 DDR2 .... my first question is what's the timing right now on my memory since i'm running it 1:1 with the cpu fsb ?!

I want to kick my CPU upto 3.2Ghz (8x400) , now If set the memory to run at 800mhz to match the cpu fsb how is that going to effect my memory which is 1066mhz native and what timmings am I actually getting on my memory ?!!?

my memory's default timings are (5-5-5-15) so again the question is when I run them memory on 800mhz instead of 1066mhz what's the timing then and is that gonna overheat or effect the ram in a way or another ?!?!

Thanks


First.. Calm down.

Your memory is whatever it's set at via SPD for 667 MHz operation. Odds are it's on auto and running 5-5-5-15 at 667 MHz. Perhaps you should read the guide about overclocking and look into CPU-Z as it would have this answer. It's also probably in your BIOS.

Underclocking your memory is not going to cause a problem. If you underclock it to 800 MHz you could probably run 4-4-4-12 at the same voltage (probably I don't know). This won't get automatically done. You need to MANUALLY configure this in the BIOS. With 1066 MHz I'd try to run 1.2 or 1.25 Multiplier to get 960 MHz or 1000 MHz RAM and just run it as close to specs as possible.
November 20, 2007 3:50:40 PM

lool ... did I sound a lil frightened there ?! coz i'm not really ... but did calm down after this .

well thank man ... I will check the settings in the bios and look for that RAM multiplier .... ok another question .. If i'm underclocking my ram to 800 why do I need to use a multiplier of a 1.2 or 1.25 to get 960 or 1000 again ?!?! isnt that gonna coz it not to run 1:1 with the cpu ?!
Related resources
November 20, 2007 3:54:54 PM

leefuji said:
lool ... did I sound a lil frightened there ?! coz i'm not really ... but did calm down after this .

well thank man ... I will check the settings in the bios and look for that RAM multiplier .... ok another question .. If i'm underclocking my ram to 800 why do I need to use a multiplier of a 1.2 or 1.25 to get 960 or 1000 again ?!?! isnt that gonna coz it not to run 1:1 with the cpu ?!


Yea, it wouldn't run 1:1 with the CPU. However I don't buy 1066 RAM to underclock it.. I try to run it at specs.

If you really wanted to you could probably run it 1:1 as said with 4-4-4-12 timings.

Edit: Personally I'd try to OC the RAM and see if I could get 1200 MHz at 5-5-5-15 with some more voltage. Then I'd run 400 MHz Bus with a 1.5 RAM Multiplier for 600 MHz (DDR=1200 MHz). That's some bandwidth! 1:1 is great.. but I like fast RAM.

DDR3 doesn't run 1:1 with a C2D or C2Q...
November 20, 2007 4:03:07 PM

I got you !! Well I try both , the 1:1 or to bring them up close to specs and see what's more stable while loading it up or if it makes any difference in real life applications/games. I'm not the person who tries to beat a 10353 benchmark score by a couple of points .. I'd rather have things run cool and stable !!
November 20, 2007 4:04:54 PM

leefuji said:
I got you !! Well I try both , the 1:1 or to bring them up close to specs and see what's more stable while loading it up or if it makes any difference in real life applications/games. I'm not the person who tries to beat a 10353 benchmark score by a couple of points .. I'd rather have things run cool and stable !!


Then the easiest thing to do is just run it 1:1 with timings on Auto. It might run at 5-5-5-15 @ 800 MHz but you won't notice a ton of difference in "real world" applications and gaming by tightening the timings or running at 1066 or 1200 MHz.

I like to max out Synthetic Read/Write/Latency Benchmarks.. MemSet is fun for that.
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
November 20, 2007 4:05:01 PM

1:1 isn't a sacred rule - No reason you couldn't/shouldn't run your 1066 rated RAM at it's rated speed. Just set the memory divider accordingly.

1 small point, though: You didn't say if you are running 2 or 4 GB on 1 or two pair, so I'll add that some motherboards don't like running 4 sticks that fast. If you have 4, there's a chance you may need to underclock them to get the system stable.
November 20, 2007 4:32:35 PM

I see (1:1) rule.

and yup I do have 4 Sticks (1Gb each)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
!