Sign in with
Your question

Hard disk making noises...

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 20, 2008 5:56:44 PM

Hey guys, this is my first post and I have an odd issue that I can't find help for...
I just put together my first system, and it has been working fine. However, yesterday night I decided to run Norton 2008 to scan my system, since I get paranoid sometimes. As I ran the scan, my hard disk started making noises. Usually it makes a very hard to hear low scrolling noise, but it started knocking every once in a while. I let the scan finish and shut down the computer to see if any wires were getting caught inside the case, but all the wires are clear. This morning, I ran the scan again, and sure enough the noise reappeared. I haven't sensed any system slowdown or even a crash as of yet, but I'm not sure if it isn't HD failure. The drive is a brand new Western Digital Caviar 500GB @ 7200 RPM. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks again!

More about : hard disk making noises

January 20, 2008 6:23:29 PM

Defrag the HD yet?
January 20, 2008 7:00:06 PM

I had noises like that on my old WD caused by the IDE cable not being seated correctly. But I guess given that its new it has a SATA connector.
Related resources
January 20, 2008 7:26:03 PM

I believe WD has diagnostic tools on their website... It sounds like 'click....click'? Could be a bad sector. I'd run diags on it. Even new drives can be defective.
December 4, 2009 8:52:46 PM

Hi,

I have the same problem with a new HP SAS Seagate 450GB.
The noise is like this:vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv................going up and down.The other 3 SAS Hitachi disks on my system ,produce the normal SAS noise.

Please advice!
!