Sign in with
Your question

Use medical grade monitors for HD gaming??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2007 4:40:16 PM

Has anyone thought of using medical grade monitors for better HD gaming such as resolutions of 1920x 1200 on a 20" monitor? Here:

http://www.championcart.com/Products/default.asp?pmn=RA...

I know one must just have money to burn to buy this monitor for their pc... but why is it sooo much money??? Let’s make this an interesting discussion...
September 18, 2007 4:41:34 PM

Why not get a 24" 1920x1200 for cheep?
September 18, 2007 4:43:29 PM

thats why i dotn understand where the money is going i think its the response time G to G...or the resolution that is a little high thats 23" by the way...
Related resources
September 18, 2007 5:11:38 PM

the response time is actually quite poor and the resolution is fairly standard for a 23" display

it's expensive because it's listed as being "medical grade", it's actually not that good a monitor for gaming

it's probably ruggedised, also it has BNC connectors, which no normal PC monitor would have
September 18, 2007 5:13:25 PM

I don't see it being worth the asking price of $6,750 but in a field where extravagant costs are the norm it's not surprising. I can easily see a professional looking at that and saying it must be special at that price so I should get it just to be safe.
September 18, 2007 5:14:04 PM

could also be strignent checks on dead pixels, Higher quality components, different input types, I know these reasons are flaky, But if your dealing in something that is associated to medical care I doubt that you would really want to cheap out on the parts
September 18, 2007 5:17:08 PM

so ill only buy three then :( 
September 18, 2007 5:23:50 PM

The monitor specs are not better than commercial monitors. The display panels are not made by the medical device manufacturer. There is more costs in producing medical equipment and getting it certified by various agencies. Because of this the medical device manufacturer can charge a premium (see health care costs). They also can require their equipment be used or the warranty and support are not in force. No administrator will take the liability if there is an issue having a suit on their hands because they used unauthorized components.

If you want a high resolution display look here:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/10/westinghouse-quad-hd...

September 18, 2007 5:46:51 PM

Medical Grade is just added grounding and reduced current leakage.
As Endoscopy is an invasive medical procedure, the electrical requirements regarding equipment leakage are more strict. Also the monitor most likely has various video input options, like the aforementioned BNC, plus RGB, VGA, and or a proprietary video input.
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
September 18, 2007 5:53:54 PM

Also note that the response time is probably not fast enough for games(10-16ms). Many gaming screens are 2-6....This speed does come at a sacrifice of color quality, something most gamers will trade for speed.

So the "Medical" screen would be great for Photoshop, 3ds MAX, Maya and other color sensitive professionals but it may not be all that good for games....

As for BNC connectors, I still have a 17inch screen here with BNC and VGA(D-sub) in. Damn that was a good screen before it started to be sporadic at powering(Loud bang and no picture...had to power off and on to get it to work...)...
!