Vista issues when system wakes up

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I don't know if this is a software issue or hardware, but after my system sleeps I lose my optical drives (which according to MS is a known issue and there is a hot fix, but that did not fix my system) and also I sometimes lose my wireless internet connection and have to reboot to bring this back up.

I though all along it was software (vista) but am now wondering if it could be hardware???
(see sig for system)

And yes, all of my drivers are up-to-date, and my Windows update is up-to-date.

Thanks!!

Eddie

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Its more likely software, when windows goes to sleep it cuts power to any device it can and lowers power on everything else (to save electricity obviously) Your problem lies when the power comes back on to your Wifi and ODD (which windows can turn off completely) that the system is either not detecting them after they have power again. Id suggest when you power back on try disabling the wifi then re-enabling in the network connections this should help with this device, although i dont have any suggestions for the ODD. Keep windows upto date is about the only other thing you can do

Yah - The system probably isn't picking them back up when the power comes back on. About all you can do is make sure you have the latest drivers for your components, and that Vista is up to date.

If that doesn't help, then you can go into the control panel and disable sleep mode...