Umm How To email failure notification on ICH8R !?

herb1

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Hi,

How do I go about getting the system to trigger sending an email if the ICH8R storage manager software identifies a failure in the array?

The Intel software doesn't but where would I start with working out how to put something together that would?

Thanks,
Herb

rockchalk

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
The Intel Matrix Storage Manager will report failures to the system event log. There may be software available that can monitor the log and send out e-mails in response to certain log events.

sos1043

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
herb1,
did you find an answer to your ICH8 software? I've came across a couple different software packages, non of which seem to open .evt files nicely. The application event file initially seems to be the only place I know of to look. But very little results as I am searching for the exact same thing.
■Folder Watchdog Service ww .seleznyov.com/en/fwdsvc (there's two apps) seems extensive & some of the russian translation is hard to sift thru. Unsure how to filter specific .evt files.
■Event Log Watchdog.Net from Keroon software seems a little closer, but again how to filter.
■Watchdog -O-Matic via Kwakkelflap.com seems promising but I've not installed it yet.

I've got ICH9R/G33 chips on a lil Inspiron & running raid1. Perhaps getting the IAANotif.exe configured... ? All Intel's documentation states is that during a degradation event a balloon popup is shown to indicate a failure. Perhaps what triggers the balloon popup would be another possible key??

In the meantime I have sent an email to Intel's Tech Supp to see if this will be supported on future releases like the server based chips are. I know Adaptec was like that in a similar config like APC.

I must have this too so I'll post if I get anywhere.
jm

herb1

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I thought about how long I had already spent searching, how much the time was worth, and forked out the dosh for a adaptec card. The included software did all I want.

Based on how often its hard drive light blinks plus the network traffic levels when its running - it would appear to run a lot faster than the ICH8's as well.

Herb

sos1043

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Herb,
"Wow, I could'a had a V8" Thanks for the post. If not read, I woulda gone down that road & for all I need the 1220sa seems the ticket.
Much thanks!

For a couple arrays already built, would it be as simple as injecting/installing the Adaptec driver over the Intel, then installing the card? I have raid1 arrays on the OS on several boxes & can't afford any reinstalls for the time I have now.

Thx, jeff

herb1

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the 4way pci express raid card I got cost more than the mobo! But then a mate has told me that if I add another card in, it will sort it all out for me and convert my current 3-way raid5 to a 4-way raid5 itself.

I built mine when constructing the pc, and needed a floppy 2 get the drivers loaded, but would assume its much simpler if system is already built.

As far as doing something like unplugging the drives from IC*H and plugging them into the adaptec card and expecting to see the same data - I have no idea..

sos1043

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Well, the systems were recent so I have all the backups handy. Luckily I have two of the four systems I need this on to play with as they have not been deployed yet, so I'll try swapping drivers first & watch the smoke. I imagine the ACU will have to be set to recognise the array & in doing so (according to Adaptec) the drives have to be formatted.

A bit of reading anyway. Perhaps someone else has stepped their shoe into this with Intel too so I'll post results soon (I hope). Not that Intel has a bad product, on the contrary it's superb. I did three of these systems as a raid1 upgrade months after the install, & the on-the-fly migration was impressive (though I didn't chance letting the end users work during the migration). But choosing to omit a notification option in the Storage Manager perhaps was overlooked.

Shoulda realized a low cost 'new-solution' would be striped of some functionality.
jeff

sos1043

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Well, this is on hold now. Several of my installs do *not* have any SMTP servers locally, just DSL & POTS lines. Adaptec not having any authentication on their SMTP signaling poses a challenge to send a msg.

I suppose I could dig up BLAT again, but then I would have to somehow get the contents of say the RaidEvt.log into a msg body.

.... now the thought process begins again......

sos1043

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
They all do, but require authentication. I like the robust features of Storage Manager, but there's nowhere for any authentication of the SMTP host :(

herb1

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Thats a shame. I just checked the s/w and the only settings are SMTP server, and from address, which mine works fine with. Maybe it authenticates cause they know the service number the DSL is connecting via or something. I've no idea about that stuff!

Good luck with the thought processes :)

sos1043

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
I have to do some digging! I had a similar problem when I loaded APC software for monitoring UPS's. Some ISP's will auth via IP or class C that the originator is on. Unfortunately all these boxes I've set up are on Verizon & they need authentication via psswd.

The only work around i can think of @ th moment is to set up gmail or freeSMTP server on each of the boxes to emulate, er well actually provide an SMTP service. But then relaying... uh... I don't know if it'll come back to me, the resource cost per box, blah, blah.

Stay tuned I guess. Hey thanks for the thoughts though :)