nVidia cheats on HQV tests. And gets away with it.

Biggins

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Here's a link to an article at The Inquirer about how nVidia cheated on the HQV benchmarks.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=42430

To summarize... nVidia released the 163.11 drivers to the media when it said it had "fixed" the video noise problem many people were complaining about. To "fix" the problem, the driver developers turned up the Temporal Noise Reduction setting (turned it WAY up). This reduced the video noise, but it reduced the video quality. The HQV tests showed the nVidia cards passed with flying colors. But when compared to an ATI 2600 XT card, the video looked like crap. In the next driver release (163.44), nVidia turned the Temporal Noise Reduction back down to LOW. The media did not test HQV with the new drivers and still thought the noise problem was fixed.

Didn't nVidia do this a few years ago? When they said their card was better than the ATI 9700. What else have they lied about?

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Please no hate threads , i have owned both ati and nvidia cards and they are both great companies. Also just on a side note , nvidia lied about producing Video cards , there real business is making toilet seats -the inquirer

Whether or not this happened, or is untrue, I know you have to pay for certain cards to get this pereformance. Ive owned both also, like both as well, but having to pay for something that could be a farce isnt good to my eyes, or sensibilities