When he's down
But I'm ready, yes I'm ready for you
I'm standing on my own two feet
Out of the doorway the bullets rip
Repeating the sound of the beat

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Wow, guess Barcelona is going to be Bologna until AM3 (for power savings) and over 2.6GHz, so I guess we will have a monopoly (Intel) again :(

DJ_Jumbles

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Wow... nice lyrics. Guess that explains everything, huh? Nice to see an intelligent discussion instead of just some useless posts. Oh, wait... I thought I was on the INQ for a second, but I'm on Toms... how'd this happen? :lol:
Anyway... apparently people aren't happy at AMD. The question to ask is: Are THEY jumping ship, or are they being forced out because of the horrible market performance of the company?
It seems to me with all of the strategic blunders that this management team has made in the past year that the board may be finally coming to it's senses and trying to wipe the slate clean to get some cred back in their company or maybe just trying to re-energize their stock... who knows? I'm all for AMD getting a management shake-up. Their aspirations seem to have gotten well beyond their ability to execute strategy and you all know what matters in business? Execution.

edman

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
With all these people leaving, I am betting Barcelona is going to be crap. They want to get out before the company goes under.

badger101101

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I'm betting Barcelona will be to the Xeon what the r600 is to the g80 - Decent, but not enough to sway significant market share in their direction. That is unless their price/performance ratio is a lot better.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
When one company eats up another comapny like this alot of executives loose thier jobs because after the merger they basically have two complete sets of executives for one campany. Dont feel bad for these guys. I bet after retirement, they will be making more in interest alone then most of us make in a couple years.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004

It sounds like a voluntary departure. Check out the comment where the AMD spokesman couldn't comment on when Henri or Rick would be replaced. If they were forced out AMD would name, at the very least, interim successors.

If this is corrective action taken by AMD, the implications bould be, IMO, frightening.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
But top executive resigning right before Barcelona's launch? It could possibly mean one thing..

..that they don't want to be responsible for it...

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
well i would prefer to think positive, but its rather odd for people to resign from key positions right before an important product launch. And for AMD, "important" here is pretty much an understatement.

Nonetheless, I wish Orton, Richard, and Hegberg well, and hopefully they'll find another job opportunity they can devote themselves into.

shargrath

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
i posted a thread about the exact same thing 2 days ago and no comments but 80+ views. *sighs*
I think that Rick Hegberg and Henri Richard leaving AMD has been good news/signs that their getting their arse into gear now lets hope they get someone competent to fill their places in the company.
I wish them both luck in their future jobs.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Before i get flamed read it . its a bit of fun but there is a point ( Hopefully )

Little story of AMD

Once apon a time in a galaxy far far away lived Athlon Solo who had the power of the Hertz.

Athlon Solo used Millenium Technology to push forward the frontiers of space whilst Intel Vader had trouble pushing through the barrier with a over heating weapon.....

Move on to Athlon 64 Solo and Intel Vader had more than a task of the leaking r2d2 in the shape of the Pentium FOURCE....

Then Hans got its mits and a Athlon Duo was suprised on us all including Intel Vader which argued that 64 was not a way to go with its under performing saber......which was turned in to Darth Mauls ( Pentium D folks ) double ended entendre but to avail got sliced up at the balcony of speed and over heating ....

Planet 4Ghz was the race but to the empires disgrace it was not to be.

Now Darth Intel was not sitting on its laurels.... It licked its wounds and made a Athlon Destroyer so powerfull that space, time and a bit of overclocking made Athlon look lile Jabba the hut eating fifteen containers of donuts...

Now AMD have lost the force, the light at the end of the saber at the moment has lost its shine.... Darth on the other hand is making a new Darth Star which will remove any perfomance traces of the old...

Come on Only One, lests surprise Darth with something only Yoda has up its sleeve and give us what we want...

A Barcelona X - Wing Fighter....but it crashed on docking....

Dam....