Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Rig. Almost ready to buy... Need minute suggestions please!

Last response: in Systems
September 2, 2007 1:56:44 AM

Almost finished piecing together my gaming rig. This will be my first build and hoping to get everything right.

My main purpose is to use it for heavy gaming and to keep it fairly up to date so I don't have to do a complete overhaul again for some time down the road.

Going to go 64-bit Vista and plan on trying to OC the processor to 3.7 GHz, that's the sweet mark I've seen many people say they have reached without too many problems or issues.

Anyway, here's the build. I'm definitely open to any and all suggestions because as I've said, computer hardware has never really been my cup of tea.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping Kentsfield 2.40GHz 8MB L2 LGA 775 Processor Retail BX80562Q6600 SLACR
- was told to definitely keep and eye out and make sure I go for the G0 stepping with this processor for better stability and oc'ing features/ability.

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
- looked like a pretty solid mobo that would allow me to go SLI in the future if I need/want to.

EVGA 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
- their step up program and rumors of the 9800 card, what more can I say?

Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
- was told this might be overkill but how can you beat the 10k RPM? Might add a second and set it up in RAID. How beneficial would that be? Or should I go with more cap and RAID with another perpendicular drive?

PC Power & Cooling / Silencer / 750-Watt / Quad PCI-Express / SATA-Ready / Black Power Supply
- I've heard nothing but good things about this PSU. It should be enough power right? Shouldn't have problems fitting it in my case? (see below)

Mushkin 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
- RAM was something I was having alot of trouble deciding on. I wanted the option for 8 GB later on down the road so the only thing I could find with nice tight timings was this one. Read that its pretty solid and can run up to 1066MHz at 4-3-3-10 and 2.3v. There something better out there in 2GB sticks? This is pretty steep right now...

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
- Sleek, stylish, mid-size tower. Heard it has amazing air flow... Am I going to have enough room?

Also, I'll need something other than stock cooling on the cpu. That's a no brainer. Question is, cpu cooler or should I go water cooling?

Thanks for your time, I know you guys get a thousand of these. Any help is greatly appreciated...
September 2, 2007 2:57:44 AM

I don't know if you'll reach your OC or not (It's really luck), but if you're going that high, you're going to need liquid cooling (in my opinion) to keep it really cool and happy. I believe Danger Den makes quality liquid cooling products.

Only thing I'd drop is the raptor X, the only difference you'll see between a Raptor and a Seagate Barracuda/WD Caviar (7.2k rpm) is that the OS will boot faster (maybe 10-15 secs instead of 30) and games will load a bit faster too. NOT WORTH IT IMO in comparison to a 750GB Seagate Barracuda.

BTW that PSU is a true power monster, it'll power ANY configuration you can possibly try on it, truly a remarkable unit. Other than the HDD, you're good to go.

EDIT: Oh yeah... one more thing, you don't necessarily have to buy the liquid cooling system now if you don't have the budget to do so, remember that the stock Q6600 is a beast on it's own right anyway, not many people can make it scream.
September 2, 2007 4:48:05 AM

Looks good!....the mushkin ram is good with any mobo except the Asus P5K series..
!