My new seagate 320gig cannot be formated successfully

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
I have a new seagate 7200rpm 16mb cache 320gig hard disk. I tried to format it using the xp installation disk.

After the formating is completed, xp installation disk try to reboot pc and start the xp installation process. I stop the installation.

Then I try to format the hard disk (connected as slave) using disk management in xp. I got the message "format is not successful"

I try format again using disk management and after it reach 100%, my pc freezed

What should I do?

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
when I use seagate discwizard to partition and format I got error "Failed to write to the sector 625,137,344 .........etc of the hard disk 2

I assume you have the latest service pack installed?

If you have the latest updates it sounds like to me the drive is bad. Seagate has an awesome warranty of 5 years so you should be fine. Just RMA if you can't return it to where you got it.

Sounds like a dead drive to me.

mostid

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
I found a similar problem with an ExcelStor 320G, and a Hitachi 250G mounted in an Icy Dock external USB drive for my laptop. The first time, the 320G partitioned and formatted fine. Then a few months later, it stopped being readable and couldn't format or do anything. I thought the drive was bad, so swapped it with the 250G only to find the same problem. Turns out my Pantech wireless AirCard was the culprit. Removing the aircard, I was able to perform the format just fine. Don't know if it matters, but thought I'd bring up my experience (since this is one of the forums I found when searching for my problem).