Sign in with
Your question

Another Q6600 temperature abnormality...

Last response: in CPUs
September 4, 2007 11:25:25 PM

Hey guys I'm running a Q6600 with only a slight overclock to 2.53GHz (281.95*9) on an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro w/ AS5.

What concerns me is that my idle temps are 50, 50, 46, 46 through the cores and on full load with every core at 100%, the core temps jump to about 74,73,70,70.

Are these temperatures too high? I've read around and seen that some people idle in the mid to high 30's and I am wondering why my temperatures are 15 degrees higher. The fan on the CPU heatsink is at 100%. I have a Raidmax Smilodon case with all five fans working. (Front intake, lower left intake, right intake, back exhaust, high left exhaust)

I'm gonna take everything into consideration so I might as well list all my components.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-N650SLI-DS4 w/ F7 BIOS
Video: 8800GTS Superclocked @ 650 Core, 1900 Memory w/ fan at 100%
Sound: X-Fi fatality
HDD: Two WD 160GB in Raid-0
RAM: 2x1GB XMS2, 2x512MB XMS2 3GB Total
PSU: Enermax Liberty 500W

Haven't touched voltages btw

umm i can't think of anything else that may affect temperatures. My room temperature is about 25 degrees celcius (78 F). Its not bad, actually quite cool since the vent is blowing on me/my computer.

Any advice or insight would be helpful!

Thanks! :hello: 
September 4, 2007 11:53:02 PM

I would suggest reseating the heatsink. High temperatures are often caused by a misaligned, or incorrectly installed heatsink. Make sure to use decent thermal paste, and apply it according to the manufacturers directions.

Best of Luck
September 4, 2007 11:57:18 PM

IMO your temps are too hot. I'm running Q6600 @3G with EIST disabled and cores are at 38,35,35,38c. ambient 22c 72F. And I think they are a little warm. Load temps no where near yours.
Related resources
September 5, 2007 12:05:23 AM

How did you apply the thermal paste?
September 5, 2007 12:37:45 AM

I have reseated the the HSF twice and I have applied the thermal paste in accordance with the directions given on the Arctic Silver website.

at first I also thought i seated my HSF wrong...but after reseating it and getting the exact same results, i'm all out of ideas. I cleaned off old thermal paste and reapplied new thermal pasted after each realign but still i get the same results...

any other ideas?
September 5, 2007 1:00:46 AM

Yes. Lap your heatsink, maybe your heatsink isn't flat. However this will void the heatsink warrenty.
September 5, 2007 1:32:10 AM

Before you lap your HS, load the CPU and touch the HS to see if it gets hot. Then remove the mobo and be sure there is nothing in the way that is stopping the HS from contacting the IHS properly. Then remove the HS and use a razor blade to check the flatness of the contact area.
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2007 1:40:58 AM

peewee9217, your temperatures may simply be Offset. Since you haven't identified what utilities you're using to measure your temperatures, please read the Guide to verify whether your temperatures are accurate or Offset.

Hope this helps,

Comp :sol: 
September 5, 2007 1:49:42 AM

hmm i dont know what offset means but I am using coretemp 0.95.4 to monitor my core temperatures and Easytune 5 to get my supposed IHS temperatures.

I think I will just lap my HSF but how much of a difference will it really make?

and according to that guide, I am only a 12 on the heat scale..

thanks for all the responses. any more ideas?
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2007 2:00:50 AM

Have you read the new section on Calibrations?

Comp :sol: 
September 5, 2007 4:35:10 PM

I just looked and that HS uses the push pin setup like the stock cooler. That is a very poor design. I am sure you don't have it secured fully. Save yourself a lot of grief and get the Ultra 120 Extreme.

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler - Retail

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan - Retail

It should clear the side panel, but you will have to verify that it will clear the side fan. If that doesn't fit get a heatsink that has a back plate. choose from the ones in this comparison.

edit: Obviously, make sure the alternate cooler you choose from the article doesn't use the push pin design.

AnandTech: Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Compararison
!