Capcom's RE4 Marketing Push

Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

http://cube.ign.com/articles/574/574315p1.html

Capcom prepares massive campaign to promote the latest in the series.
By Juan Castro

December 17, 2004 - Capcom has just announced a national marketing campaign
to publicize the coming of Resident Evil 4. The effort will flood the
airwaves, print and even the world famous New York Times Square with a
series of advertisements. Those in Time Square will air on the NASDAQ
building's jumbo monitor. The 30-second promotional spots will feature
in-game footage and run approximately 50 times a day between December 22 and
January 2.

Capcom hopes to reach 20 million consumers during the scheduled run of the
ads during Christmas and New Year's. Furthermore, Capcom has planned a
far-reaching television campaign; one which the company states will garner
some 170-million consumer impressions. These spots will range from 15 to 30
seconds each and focus on gamers aging from 18 to 34 years of age. The ads
will air on U.S. and Canadian networks such as SpikeTV, Comedy Central, ESPN
and MTV, among others.

"A revolutionary title of this caliber deserves an equally significant
marketing campaign," said Todd Thorson, director of marketing, Capcom USA.
"With Capcom's debut in Times Square and the myriad other plans we have
lined up, Resident Evil 4 will receive the most dynamic marketing campaign
we have ever created."

The extensive marketing campaign will also encompass the official Resident
Evil 4 website, located over right over here. Along with downloadable
screens, video and information on the game, visitors will find a set of
online tools to make their very own fan sites. Best of all, Capcom is
running a contest where those responsible for the best site can win limited
edition U2 Apple Ipods.

Stay tuned for the latest.
18 answers Last reply
More about capcom marketing push
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    Vorxion wrote:

    > In article <J_2dndNMYeO2TV7cRVn-gw@comcast.com>, Xenon wrote:
    > >
    > >"A revolutionary title of this caliber deserves an equally significant
    > >marketing campaign," said Todd Thorson, director of marketing, Capcom USA.
    >
    > *cough*BULLSHIT!*cough*
    >
    > Revolutionary?! It's been rehashed -to death-...and it was never very good
    > to begin with.
    snip

    You do realize saying "These past sequels weren't revolutionary,
    therefore the coming game is not revolutionary" is not a sensible
    statement, don't you? You may feel RE4 isn't revolutionary, but you
    don't present a logical basis for that in your post.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil, alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube, rec.games.video.nintendo, uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    I don't care if it's revolutionary, what I concerns me is the
    entertainment value of the game. I enjoyed the RE the first two times
    around, but as the sequels wore on, it felt like more of the same. It
    became less enjoyable. That said, I played a demo of RE4 and
    immediately pre-ordered it (which immediately landed me a demo disc
    with a playable level of RE4 and a set of RE-trospective videos).

    RE4 looks great. Compared to the other games in the series, it has
    much more freedom of vision and movement. The mood it sets is
    sufficiently creepy and I had a blast playing it. Looking forward to
    its release in January.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    they will also release it on the ps2....

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <41C44C30.E68160C2@nospam.com>, Ted wrote:

    >Vorxion wrote:
    >>
    >> In article <J_2dndNMYeO2TV7cRVn-gw@comcast.com>, Xenon wrote:
    >> >
    >> >"A revolutionary title of this caliber deserves an equally significant
    >> >marketing campaign," said Todd Thorson, director of marketing, Capcom USA.
    >>
    >> *cough*BULLSHIT!*cough*
    >>
    >> Revolutionary?! It's been rehashed -to death-...and it was never very good
    >> to begin with.
    >snip
    >
    >You do realize saying "These past sequels weren't revolutionary,
    >therefore the coming game is not revolutionary" is not a sensible
    >statement, don't you? You may feel RE4 isn't revolutionary, but you
    >don't present a logical basis for that in your post.

    They weren't, really. It was nothing more than a text-based adventure with
    graphics. It was about as revolutionary as making something like Ultima
    Online using MUDs as a basis. RE's so backwards, they still rely on
    Courier-font text for things that clearly could (and should) be voice.

    I've never been impressed with it, and the UI looks like something about 12
    years old, even in RE:CVX. -Limited- inventory slots? These people
    obviously never heard of malloc(), scrollbars, or general design principles
    common to any even moderately modern game.

    --
    Vorxion - Founder of the knocking-shop of the mind.

    "You have it, you sell it, you've still got it--what's the difference?"
    --Diana Trent, "Waiting for God", on why a modelling agency is really a
    knocking-shop. Applied by me to the field of consulting. :)

    The Sci-Fi fan's solution to debt: Reverse the polarity on your charge card.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    "Dr!Bukkake!" <Dr!Bukkake!@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > they will also release it on the ps2....

    Yeah, release for PS2 is scheduled for the end of 2005. But we all how dates
    can slip, so you can guess the "real" release for PS2 is Spring/Summer 2006.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil, alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube, rec.games.video.nintendo, uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    A few notes.

    While I agree RE isn't revolutionary (who cares if it is? PR people
    will always spew BS), I think it's always been a lot more than a "text
    adventure with graphics". Despite fixed camera angles, the environment
    can be traversed inch-by-inch (rather than the MUD's area-by-area).
    Using the weapon is a process of reflexes and aiming, not an RPG's "use
    melee attack" style.

    When RE came out, it was pretty great looking. It still is. The
    interface has always been the weakest link and they haven't done much
    to overhaul it. Don't know if I understand your comment about limited
    inventory slots. Aren't all inventory slots limited?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    Vorxion wrote:

    >>You do realize saying "These past sequels weren't revolutionary,
    >>therefore the coming game is not revolutionary" is not a sensible
    >>statement, don't you? You may feel RE4 isn't revolutionary, but you
    >>don't present a logical basis for that in your post.
    >

    > They weren't, really. It was nothing more than a text-based adventure with
    > graphics. It was about as revolutionary as making something like Ultima
    > Online using MUDs as a basis. RE's so backwards, they still rely on
    > Courier-font text for things that clearly could (and should) be voice.
    >
    > I've never been impressed with it, and the UI looks like something about 12
    > years old, even in RE:CVX. -Limited- inventory slots? These people
    > obviously never heard of malloc(), scrollbars, or general design principles
    > common to any even moderately modern game.

    I think his point was that past RE titles are not a reliable guide to
    RE4's alleged innovation. Initial impressions are that it's *not* just
    more of the same; in the context of its prequels it certainly is a
    revolution.

    I wonder if you've seen any of it yet...I suggest you look into it
    before making a rash judgment, because it's looking very special.

    --
    -Colonel Red-
    My eBay listings: http://tinyurl.com/2uod6

    mindblender wrote:
    > "Dr!Bukkake!" <Dr!Bukkake!@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>they will also release it on the ps2....
    >>

    > Yeah, release for PS2 is scheduled for the end of 2005. But we all how dates
    > can slip, so you can guess the "real" release for PS2 is Spring/Summer 2006.

    ps2 version will be released in march 2005....
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    Vorxion wrote:

    > In article <41C44C30.E68160C2@nospam.com>, Ted wrote:
    > >

    > >Vorxion wrote:

    > >> *cough*BULLSHIT!*cough*
    > >>
    > >> Revolutionary?! It's been rehashed -to death-...and it was never very good
    > >> to begin with.
    > >snip
    > >
    > >You do realize saying "These past sequels weren't revolutionary,
    > >therefore the coming game is not revolutionary" is not a sensible
    > >statement, don't you? You may feel RE4 isn't revolutionary, but you
    > >don't present a logical basis for that in your post.
    >
    > They weren't, really. It was nothing more than a text-based adventure with
    > graphics. It was about as revolutionary as making something like Ultima
    > Online using MUDs as a basis. RE's so backwards, they still rely on
    > Courier-font text for things that clearly could (and should) be voice.
    >
    > I've never been impressed with it, and the UI looks like something about 12
    > years old, even in RE:CVX. -Limited- inventory slots? These people
    > obviously never heard of malloc(), scrollbars, or general design principles
    > common to any even moderately modern game.

    And once again you fail to understand that critiquing past games is not
    alegitimate way of critiquing the forthcoming game.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    On 19 Dec 2004 00:44:22 -0500, vorxion@knockingshopofthemind.com
    (Vorxion) wrote:

    >I've never been impressed with it, and the UI looks like something about 12
    >years old, even in RE:CVX. -Limited- inventory slots? These people
    >obviously never heard of malloc(), scrollbars, or general design principles
    >common to any even moderately modern game.

    so you have bottomless pockets do you? and unlimited storage space in
    your cupboards?

    i'm no huge fan of RE games, but to have a go for them using limited
    inventory slots is grabbing at straws.

    imagine them daring to try to add an element of strategy to the
    gameplay!

    you probably hate Halo just because you can only carry 2 weapons at
    any one time too, do you?
    --

    gamertag: chrisflynnuk
    Live Line-up: RS3, RS3:BA, PGR2, Links04, SC:PT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3,

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:14:05 GMT, "Dr!Bukkake!"
    <Dr!Bukkake!@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >mindblender wrote:
    >> "Dr!Bukkake!" <Dr!Bukkake!@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>they will also release it on the ps2....
    >>>

    >> Yeah, release for PS2 is scheduled for the end of 2005. But we all how dates
    >> can slip, so you can guess the "real" release for PS2 is Spring/Summer 2006.
    >>

    >ps2 version will be released in march 2005....

    and it'll finally load from the disc in about may......
    --

    gamertag: chrisflynnuk
    Live Line-up: RS3, RS3:BA, PGR2, Links04, SC:PT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3,
    SWAT, MotoGP2, Burnout3, OutRun2(Demo), FSW
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

    "Xenon" <xenonxbox2@xboxnext.com> wrote in message
    > http://cube.ign.com/articles/574/574315p1.html
    >
    > Capcom prepares massive campaign to promote the latest in the series.
    > By Juan Castro
    >
    > December 17, 2004 - Capcom has just announced a national marketing
    > campaign
    > to publicize the coming of Resident Evil 4. The effort will flood the
    > airwaves, print and even the world famous New York Times Square with a
    > series of advertisements. Those in Time Square will air on the NASDAQ
    > building's jumbo monitor. The 30-second promotional spots will feature
    > in-game footage and run approximately 50 times a day between December 22
    > and
    > January 2.

    How come nobody noticed this so far?
    50x30 mins = 25 hours.... SURE, that's great logic for you!
    Instead of "50 times a day"... "24 hours a day" would be 100% correct - if
    indeed there are no breaks.

    --
    =========
    Comp Whizz

    "Vorxion" <vorxion@knockingshopofthemind.com> wrote in message
    > In article <41C44C30.E68160C2@nospam.com>, Ted wrote:
    >>

    >>Vorxion wrote:

    >>> *cough*BULLSHIT!*cough*
    >>>
    >>> Revolutionary?! It's been rehashed -to death-...and it was never very
    >>> good
    >>> to begin with.
    >>snip
    >>
    >>You do realize saying "These past sequels weren't revolutionary,
    >>therefore the coming game is not revolutionary" is not a sensible
    >>statement, don't you? You may feel RE4 isn't revolutionary, but you
    >>don't present a logical basis for that in your post.
    >
    > They weren't, really. It was nothing more than a text-based adventure
    > with
    > graphics. It was about as revolutionary as making something like Ultima
    > Online using MUDs as a basis. RE's so backwards, they still rely on
    > Courier-font text for things that clearly could (and should) be voice.
    >
    > I've never been impressed with it, and the UI looks like something about
    > 12
    > years old, even in RE:CVX. -Limited- inventory slots? These people
    > obviously never heard of malloc(), scrollbars, or general design
    > principles
    > common to any even moderately modern game.
    >
    > --
    > Vorxion - Founder of the knocking-shop of the mind.
    >
    > "You have it, you sell it, you've still got it--what's the difference?"
    > --Diana Trent, "Waiting for God", on why a modelling agency is really a
    > knocking-shop. Applied by me to the field of consulting. :)
    >
    > The Sci-Fi fan's solution to debt: Reverse the polarity on your charge
    > card.

    Heck, if you don't like RE and the sequels/prequels, don't buy them. If you
    are trying to convince those of us that are RE fans not to buy them, it's
    mostly a losing battle, if you are trying to convince us to try a different
    game, lay it out and show why it's a good game to play. Me I've been
    playing games since the original text based Adventure game on the Apple II,
    and many other games as well, and I like RE because I enjoy playing it,
    along with several other series type games, as well as many older D&D RPG
    games. If I don't like a particular game, I might say so, and why, but why
    bother to try and convince people to not play a game? ^_^

    Inu-Yasha
    Feh!!
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

    "Computer Whizz" <old486whizz@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Xenon" <xenonxbox2@xboxnext.com> wrote in message
    >> http://cube.ign.com/articles/574/574315p1.html
    >>
    >> Capcom prepares massive campaign to promote the latest in the series.
    >> By Juan Castro
    >>
    >> December 17, 2004 - Capcom has just announced a national marketing
    >> campaign
    >> to publicize the coming of Resident Evil 4. The effort will flood the
    >> airwaves, print and even the world famous New York Times Square with a
    >> series of advertisements. Those in Time Square will air on the NASDAQ
    >> building's jumbo monitor. The 30-second promotional spots will feature
    >> in-game footage and run approximately 50 times a day between December 22
    >> and
    >> January 2.
    >
    > How come nobody noticed this so far?
    > 50x30 mins = 25 hours.... SURE, that's great logic for you!
    > Instead of "50 times a day"... "24 hours a day" would be 100% correct - if
    > indeed there are no breaks.
    >
    > --
    > =========
    > Comp Whizz
    > =========
    > (The C++ beginner)

    Ooppsies CW, thats 50 times 30 seconds, equals 25 minutes, a little more
    do-able than 25 hours. ^__^ Still, probably not enough for us die-hards
    Hmmm? ^_^

    Inu-Yasha
    Feh!!
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

    > mindblender wrote:
    >> "Dr!Bukkake!" <Dr!Bukkake!@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>they will also release it on the ps2....
    >>>

    >> Yeah, release for PS2 is scheduled for the end of 2005. But we all how
    >> dates can slip, so you can guess the "real" release for PS2 is
    >> Spring/Summer 2006.
    > ps2 version will be released in march 2005....

    Source? Everything I've read has said that there is no announced release
    date, with an expected release for Winter 2005. Maybe you're thinking of the
    March 2005 release of the Gamecube version in the UK.

    --
    figmentPez
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

    "Inu-Yasha" <tjardine@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

    > "Computer Whizz" <old486whizz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> How come nobody noticed this so far?
    >> 50x30 mins = 25 hours.... SURE, that's great logic for you!
    >> Instead of "50 times a day"... "24 hours a day" would be 100% correct -
    >> if indeed there are no breaks.
    >>

    > Ooppsies CW, thats 50 times 30 seconds, equals 25 minutes, a little more
    > do-able than 25 hours. ^__^ Still, probably not enough for us die-hards
    > Hmmm? ^_^
    >
    > Inu-Yasha
    > Feh!!

    Quite a big "oops"... I kinda had been drinking that evening to celebrate
    another notch on the birthday pole, so a quick "seconds" to "minutes" leap
    isn't too hard to understand.

    --
    =========
    Comp Whizz

    > "Inu-Yasha" <tjardine@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Computer Whizz" <old486whizz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> How come nobody noticed this so far?
    > >> 50x30 mins = 25 hours.... SURE, that's great logic for you!
    > >> Instead of "50 times a day"... "24 hours a day" would be 100% correct -
    > >> if indeed there are no breaks.
    > >>

    > > Ooppsies CW, thats 50 times 30 seconds, equals 25 minutes, a little more
    > > do-able than 25 hours. ^__^ Still, probably not enough for us die-hards
    > > Hmmm? ^_^
    > >
    > > Inu-Yasha
    > > Feh!!
    > >

    > Quite a big "oops"... I kinda had been drinking that evening to celebrate
    > another notch on the birthday pole, so a quick "seconds" to "minutes" leap
    > isn't too hard to understand.
    >
    > --
    > =========
    > Comp Whizz
    > =========
    > (The C++ beginner)

    Well, a belated Happy Birthday!! Hope you got enough beer to make your day
    good.

    ^_^

    Inu-Yasha
    Feh!!
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.resident-evil (More info?)

    "Thomas Jardine" <tjardine@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

    > Well, a belated Happy Birthday!! Hope you got enough beer to make your
    > day
    > good.
    >
    > ^_^
    >
    > Inu-Yasha
    > Feh!!

    Actually I hate beer/bitter/generally anything with alcohol.
    The only way I can consume it is if I have vodka and coke (not the best,
    still gives me a slight cringe) or - a new discovery for me - southern
    comfort and lemonade.... I am going to experiment more with that combo and
    take it to it's limit :D .

    Thanks for the congratulations.

    --
    =========
    Comp Whizz

Marketing Games Video Nintendo Video Games