Directv HD programming

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 4, 2005 7:27:54 PM

Directv's web site doesn't seem to be very specific with respect to HD
programming, so I hope someone out there can help me.
Assuming I get a HD receiver, and am subscribing to Total Choice, Baseball
and Football, HBS and Showtime, and local (NY) channels, BUT NOT THE HD
PACKAGE as such, will I receive HBO, Showtime, and the newtworks in HD?, as
well as YES (and other) sports in HD?

More about : directv programming

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 12:05:57 AM

"Roy Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Directv's web site doesn't seem to be very specific with respect to HD
> programming, so I hope someone out there can help me.
> Assuming I get a HD receiver, and am subscribing to Total Choice, Baseball
> and Football, HBS and Showtime, and local (NY) channels, BUT NOT THE HD
> PACKAGE as such, will I receive HBO, Showtime, and the newtworks in HD?,
> as well as YES (and other) sports in HD?

You will get HBO-HD only if you subscribe to an HBO package . You will get
the network's HD if you subscribe to the HD package.

According to DTV's website ;
HBO® HD and SHOWTIME® HD are available at no additional cost to
customers who already subscribe to HBO® and SHOWTIME UNLIMITED®. Add these
premium services to your programming package today to start enjoying the
mind-blowing experience of high-definition television with the proper
DIRECTV® HD equipment.

The HBO and SHowtime HD are free to those who subscribe to those premium
services (which has no mention of HD under "Premium Services".

Nate
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 12:05:58 AM

Neither HBO-HD nor Showtime-HD have impressed me. Just widescreen movies
in the same or nearly the same resolution they were originally filmed in.
Clear, yes, but not impressively so and HBO seems simply loathe to run
them in their original aspect ratio.

What -has- impressed me is Discovery HD and HDNet. ESPN-HD is still a
bust. Still way too much SD content and up-converting.

Major network prime-time HD (from OTA) content is quite good and -live-
sporting events in HD, even golf, are mind-blowingly awesome.

(55" Mitsu RPTV)

In article <F6h4e.1407$qD2.284@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com> "stuckinthemud"
<nsaptaemcpcrnonf@nnvobseplalm.net> writes:

>"Roy Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Directv's web site doesn't seem to be very specific with respect to HD
>> programming, so I hope someone out there can help me.
>> Assuming I get a HD receiver, and am subscribing to Total Choice, Baseball
>> and Football, HBS and Showtime, and local (NY) channels, BUT NOT THE HD
>> PACKAGE as such, will I receive HBO, Showtime, and the newtworks in HD?,
>> as well as YES (and other) sports in HD?
>>

>You will get HBO-HD only if you subscribe to an HBO package . You will get
>the network's HD if you subscribe to the HD package.
>
>According to DTV's website ;
> HBO® HD and SHOWTIME® HD are available at no additional cost to
>customers who already subscribe to HBO® and SHOWTIME UNLIMITED®. Add these
>premium services to your programming package today to start enjoying the
>mind-blowing experience of high-definition television with the proper
>DIRECTV® HD equipment.
>

>The HBO and SHowtime HD are free to those who subscribe to those premium
>services (which has no mention of HD under "Premium Services".
>
>Nate

April 5, 2005 12:05:59 AM

Mr Fixit wrote:
> Neither HBO-HD nor Showtime-HD have impressed me. Just widescreen
> movies in the same or nearly the same resolution they were originally
> filmed in. Clear, yes, but not impressively so and HBO seems simply
> loathe to run them in their original aspect ratio.
>
> What -has- impressed me is Discovery HD and HDNet. ESPN-HD is still a
> bust. Still way too much SD content and up-converting.
>
> Major network prime-time HD (from OTA) content is quite good and
> -live- sporting events in HD, even golf, are mind-blowingly awesome.
>
> (55" Mitsu RPTV)

HBO and SHO can only broadcast in whatever the film is in. Some are grainy,
others are clear. I have seen some in OAR and others not in OAR. HDNet and
Discovery have the advantage of using HD video equipment in doing a lot of
their content, as does ESPN when broadcasting HD sports. This allows them
to tailor the content to the broadcast medium.

> In article <F6h4e.1407$qD2.284@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>
> "stuckinthemud" <nsaptaemcpcrnonf@nnvobseplalm.net> writes:
>

>> "Roy Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Directv's web site doesn't seem to be very specific with respect to
>>> HD programming, so I hope someone out there can help me.
>>> Assuming I get a HD receiver, and am subscribing to Total Choice,
>>> Baseball and Football, HBS and Showtime, and local (NY) channels,
>>> BUT NOT THE HD PACKAGE as such, will I receive HBO, Showtime, and
>>> the newtworks in HD?, as well as YES (and other) sports in HD?
>>>

>> You will get HBO-HD only if you subscribe to an HBO package . You
>> will get the network's HD if you subscribe to the HD package.
>>
>> According to DTV's website ;
>> HBO® HD and SHOWTIME® HD are available at no additional cost to
>> customers who already subscribe to HBO® and SHOWTIME UNLIMITED®. Add
>> these premium services to your programming package today to start
>> enjoying the mind-blowing experience of high-definition television
>> with the proper DIRECTV® HD equipment.
>>

>> The HBO and SHowtime HD are free to those who subscribe to those
>> premium services (which has no mention of HD under "Premium
>> Services".
>>
>> Nate
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:24:23 AM

Mr Fixit wrote:
> Neither HBO-HD nor Showtime-HD have impressed me. Just widescreen movies
> in the same or nearly the same resolution they were originally filmed in.
> Clear, yes, but not impressively so and HBO seems simply loathe to run
> them in their original aspect ratio.

A fair number of the newer movie titles on HBO-HD are true HD
transfers. However HBO crops almost all of the newer 2.35:1 movies to
fit in a 16:9 (1.78) screen to get rid of the letterbox as you
mentioned. Often appears to be a straight crop job of the center part of
the screen too; not even attempting a pan and scan. Apparently they made
a corporate decision that people don't want letterboxing some time ago
and won't change their decision. On the other hand, HBO drama series
such as Deadwood, Sopranos, Carnivale are in HD and look & sound excellent.

Showtime is more hit or miss on HD movies - more upconverts and/or
just lousy SD transfers than HBO. But Showtime does show newer releases
in true HD.

Alan F
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:51:17 PM

Mr Fixit wrote:
> Neither HBO-HD nor Showtime-HD have impressed me. Just widescreen movies
> in the same or nearly the same resolution they were originally filmed in.

Not sure what that means. Once they transfer to HD, that's all you're
gonna get until 4k becomes some kind of standard in 20-30 years.

> Clear, yes, but not impressively so and HBO seems simply loathe to run
> them in their original aspect ratio.

Yes, they do seem to not want to run 2:35 movies as such. Don't know
whay HBO insists on doing this.
April 7, 2005 4:30:54 AM

Actually you DO NOT get ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX in HD on direct tv. You can
only receive them over the air, if your local affiliate broadcasts that, or
over the satellite if your local affiliate gives you a waiver. Where I live
the local CBS affiliate broadcasts over the air (not well but it is there)
and the ABC affiliate allows access to the satellite. FOX and NBC are
totally unavailable in HD because of the idiotic practices of the local
yokel affiliates.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:34:09 AM

"birdman" <aetoo@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Actually you DO NOT get ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX in HD on direct tv. You can
> only receive them over the air, if your local affiliate broadcasts that,
> or over the satellite if your local affiliate gives you a waiver. Where I
> live the local CBS affiliate broadcasts over the air (not well but it is
> there) and the ABC affiliate allows access to the satellite. FOX and NBC
> are totally unavailable in HD because of the idiotic practices of the
> local yokel affiliates.

They ARE available on satellite IF your local stations are
owned and operated by the network.
Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 7:02:22 AM

"birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in

> Actually you DO NOT get ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX in HD on direct tv. You
> can only receive them over the air, if your local affiliate broadcasts
> that, or over the satellite if your local affiliate gives you a
> waiver. Where I live the local CBS affiliate broadcasts over the air
> (not well but it is there) and the ABC affiliate allows access to the
> satellite. FOX and NBC are totally unavailable in HD because of the
> idiotic practices of the local yokel affiliates.

Check haanels 81 and 84
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 11:54:15 AM

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Roy Smith wrote:
> Directv's web site doesn't seem to be very specific with respect to HD
> programming, so I hope someone out there can help me.
> Assuming I get a HD receiver, and am subscribing to Total Choice, Baseball
> and Football, HBS and Showtime, and local (NY) channels, BUT NOT THE HD
> PACKAGE as such, will I receive HBO, Showtime, and the newtworks in HD?, as
> well as YES (and other) sports in HD?

As I understand things, both DirecTV and DishNetwork only offer about 8-10
channels as HD in total (and the same ones at that - and the same as 4DTV
users).

Any idea when the rest of the channels (at least some will) will upgrade to HD?
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 11:54:16 AM

"D. Stussy" <kd6lvw@bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.62.0504110751030.80@kd6lvw.ampr.org...
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Roy Smith wrote:
>> Directv's web site doesn't seem to be very specific with respect to HD
>> programming, so I hope someone out there can help me.
>> Assuming I get a HD receiver, and am subscribing to Total Choice,
>> Baseball
>> and Football, HBS and Showtime, and local (NY) channels, BUT NOT THE HD
>> PACKAGE as such, will I receive HBO, Showtime, and the newtworks in HD?,
>> as
>> well as YES (and other) sports in HD?
>
> As I understand things, both DirecTV and DishNetwork only offer about 8-10
> channels as HD in total (and the same ones at that - and the same as 4DTV
> users).
>
> Any idea when the rest of the channels (at least some will) will upgrade
> to HD?

===============================
If they don't do it SOON, I will be dumping them.
We watched a show on TNT the other day and it clearly said "IN HD where
available".
That means it is being shown somewhere.........but not on DirecTV.
=========================
April 11, 2005 7:18:32 PM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 07:06:43 -0700, "Richard C."
<post-age@spamcop.net> wrote:

>"D. Stussy" <kd6lvw@bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote in message
>news:p ine.LNX.4.62.0504110751030.80@kd6lvw.ampr.org...
>> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Roy Smith wrote:
>>> Directv's web site doesn't seem to be very specific with respect to HD
>>> programming, so I hope someone out there can help me.
>>> Assuming I get a HD receiver, and am subscribing to Total Choice,
>>> Baseball
>>> and Football, HBS and Showtime, and local (NY) channels, BUT NOT THE HD
>>> PACKAGE as such, will I receive HBO, Showtime, and the newtworks in HD?,
>>> as
>>> well as YES (and other) sports in HD?
>>
>> As I understand things, both DirecTV and DishNetwork only offer about 8-10
>> channels as HD in total (and the same ones at that - and the same as 4DTV
>> users).
>>
>> Any idea when the rest of the channels (at least some will) will upgrade
>> to HD?
>
>===============================
>If they don't do it SOON, I will be dumping them.
>We watched a show on TNT the other day and it clearly said "IN HD where
>available".
>That means it is being shown somewhere.........but not on DirecTV.
>=========================

I wonder where it is being shown. It may be available but too
expensive.
Thumper

To reply drop XYZ in address
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 12:10:24 PM

Richard C. wrote:
> If they don't do it SOON, I will be dumping them.
> We watched a show on TNT the other day and it clearly said "IN HD
> where available".
> That means it is being shown somewhere.........but not on DirecTV.

It was being shown on Voom. Was of course being the
major keyword. Major indeed.

Brian The Demolition Man Little
!