Sign in with
Your question

Help: cant install the witcher 2 on win 7 64bit

Last response: in Windows 7
August 19, 2011 12:15:52 AM

when i'm running the setup.exe, error message pops up "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check... bla bla bla... nned an x86 or x64 version bla bla bla..

Help... How do I get past this? :( 
(I copied this text because I got the exact same problem)

I tried changing the UAC but It won't budge...

Any Idea's ?

Thanks !
August 19, 2011 12:33:01 AM

The game supports Win 7 x64. Check to make sure your disk isn't dirty/scratched/chewed on, and if possible, try a different DVD-ROM drive or try running the setup on another computer. A dirty disc will cause data corruption when reading the disc.
August 19, 2011 12:37:43 AM

Try this:
1) Make sure that the CDs are not dirty or scratched - any damage can impair the correct reading of the CD
2) Try installing the game from the hard drive. To do that create two new folders in a chosen location and copy into them (using Copy-Paste) all the contents of the two The Witcher 2 CDs. If during the copying process no errors occur, open the file Setup.exe which can be found in the folder with the contents of the DVD1 disc.
When you are asked to insert the second CD, press the Browse key and afterwards select the folder into which the DVD2 was copied.
3) Start the installation after performing a “clean boot” on your computer.
4) Check your optical drive's manufacturer's website for firmware (BIOS) updates. If an update is available download it and install it. If you have any questions concerning the update of the optical drive's software please contact its manufacturer's technical support.
5) Change the data transfer mode of your optical drive's. If performing all the above actions does not enable the installation of the game check if the problem also occurs on other computers. This will help to determine whether the problem lies in any particular workstation.

You could also try disabling your antivirus(temporarily), I can't remember what game it was but one of my recent installs would not work until i disabled the antivirus.
Related resources
August 19, 2011 12:42:45 AM

TY all for the quick reply, I will try the copy and paste since I already tried creating an image but still got the same problem (imaging process was fine though) However, I managed to Install this on a 32bit win 7... it's just wierd :heink: 
August 19, 2011 2:09:47 PM

Hey guys and girls,

I tried all of the above help suggestions but to no avail..

any other ideas please ?

I relly want to play this game...
August 20, 2011 5:26:27 AM

You can try doing a clean boot and then install the game.

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility
Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

Step 2: Configure Selective Startup options
1. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Selective Startup on the General tab.
2. Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
Note The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.
3. Click the Services tab.
4. Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
5. Click Disable All, and then click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

Step 3: Determine whether the problem is resolved
- After the computer starts, try to start the affected game or program to determine whether the problem is resolved.
- If the problem does not occur after you restart, the interference is occurring because of a background program or service. In this case, see the "Determine what is causing the problem" section.
- If the problem returns after you perform a clean startup, the interference is not occurring because of a background program or service. In this case, this article cannot resolve your problem. See the "How to return Windows to Normal startup mode" section to return your computer to the original startup mode. Then, go to the "Next steps" section for other resources that may help you resolve this problem.
!