Sign in with
Your question

E6850 or Q6600? VERY IMPORTANT!

Last response: in CPUs
September 5, 2007 12:57:23 AM

I am building a computer for a customer and I was recommending the Q6600 because it is quad core but then I looked at the CPU charts and it raised the question, "Which one do i get?"

It is very important that I get some responses A.S.A.P. so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Which should I tell the customer to get Q6600 quad core or E6850 dual core? Which one would be more prepared for the future?

More about : e6850 q6600 important

September 5, 2007 12:59:44 AM

Prepared for the future?

The Quad-core is definitely better for the future because as developers start to multi thread applications, the quad core has more cores to take advantage of the many threads and in turn things will be faster.

But seriously, which one is better? That is just personal preference IMO.

I was deciding this a while ago, i went with the quad core. I'm pretty happy. Just watch the temperatures.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2007 1:48:27 AM

If it is so very important it MAY be a good idea to ask yor client what their computing needs are, and how long they intend/would like to keep the sys before they upgrade.

Then check the THG benches to get an idea of what each chip's strengths and weaknesses are.

That should pretty much make the decision for you.
Asking us what you should get?
Hell, we know less than you.

Obviously a quad is more future compatible, (thats why i got 1) but for 'right now' performance its a bit of a waste.
September 5, 2007 2:05:00 AM

I did ask the client and he said 2 years would be the minumum (which is fine with dual core) but i want to save him money. His computing needs are gaming and leisure and college needs. I just think the 6850 beats the Q6600 right now because most programs/games don't utilize the quad core yet. I'm just trying to figure out i'm wrong by recommending the Q6600 to last him for a few years and probably more.
September 5, 2007 2:21:18 AM

Go the Q6600 for sure. It helps Vista run a lot smoother/faster, helps with multiple apps running at the same time, and Crysis is set up to use ALL (even 4) cores for gaming, and you will see games doing this more and more ESPECIALLY within the 2 year time frame. It overclocks amazingly as well...I've seen people getting 3.4GHz with air cooling, so you could easily do 3GHz without thinking about it especially with the G0 stepping. The Q6600 processor rocks, and in my opinion the E6850 has no advantage over it. Even at stock 2.4GHz it is plenty fast enough.

Maybe he writes code in college, so again the more cores the better because then he can learn how to code for multiple cores on a system that does it. It's helped me hugely! (I just love writing apps that max out all cores! Going from 60 mins data reduction time to 30 mins kicks ***!)

The simple fact that the Q6600 is quad means it is more prepared for the future - this is a bigger difference than between 2.4 to 3 GHz, and the 1066 to 1333 fsb makes almost NO difference whatsoever at the moment - you're getting more power by adding 2 more processors than you are in going from 2.4GHz to 3GHz. Also, almost ALL s/w developers are coding for multicore now.

So I think you can tell from my post: I recommend the Q6600.
September 5, 2007 2:34:58 AM

General_Disturbance said:
Go the Q6600 for sure. It helps Vista run a lot smoother/faster, helps with multiple apps running at the same time, and Crysis is set up to use ALL (even 4) cores for gaming, and you will see games doing this more and more ESPECIALLY within the 2 year time frame. It overclocks amazingly as well...I've seen people getting 3.4GHz with air cooling, so you could easily do 3GHz without thinking about it especially with the G0 stepping. The Q6600 processor rocks, and in my opinion the E6850 has no advantage over it. Even at stock 2.4GHz it is plenty fast enough.

Maybe he writes code in college, so again the more cores the better because then he can learn how to code for multiple cores on a system that does it. It's helped me hugely! (I just love writing apps that max out all cores! Going from 60 mins data reduction time to 30 mins kicks ***!)

The simple fact that the Q6600 is quad means it is more prepared for the future - this is a bigger difference than between 2.4 to 3 GHz, and the 1066 to 1333 fsb makes almost NO difference whatsoever at the moment - you're getting more power by adding 2 more processors than you are in going from 2.4GHz to 3GHz. Also, almost ALL s/w developers are coding for multicore now.

So I think you can tell from my post: I recommend the Q6600.

Great post bro. BTW, you gave me the urge in that 2nd paragraph lol. I agree with you as well with everything you said. I originally said Q6600 but as I was going through the CPU charts i started to think about it and then I thought again and it's obvious many programs don't utilize 4 cores as of yet which is why the dual core wins in anything. He doesn't OC although I might do that for him. While I'm on that topic, does the Q6600 go above 40 under full load with stock heatsink easily or no? I will OC if it doesn't. Also, all the Q6600's are G0 stepping right?
September 5, 2007 2:47:13 AM

Advocate said:
Great post bro. BTW, you gave me the urge in that 2nd paragraph lol. I agree with you as well with everything you said. I originally said Q6600 but as I was going through the CPU charts i started to think about it and then I thought again and it's obvious many programs don't utilize 4 cores as of yet which is why the dual core wins in anything. He doesn't OC although I might do that for him. While I'm on that topic, does the Q6600 go above 40 under full load with stock heatsink easily or no? I will OC if it doesn't. Also, all the Q6600's are G0 stepping right?

The G0 stepping is newer, but this

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc...

used the B3 stepping, I believe, and got good results. The G0 stepping is a littler cooler and draws a little less power.

Here is another article on the G0 stepping

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1159/overclocking_the...

and another

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/07/25/overclockin...

Most people don't use stock cooling, but get something like the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme with a fan attached.

But like I said, 2.4 GHz is likely fast enough anyway, so you might not even need to OC it. I personally would try it, though, if you know what you're doing, and see what sort of temps you get - it is usually different for everybody because of a highly variable heatsink/CPU interface.

Have fun dude!
September 5, 2007 2:52:01 AM

o damn. I wrote my post wrong lol. I meant to say that all of the latest Q6600's are G0 stepping right? I think newegg is selling only G0 now instead of B3 but I don't know if B3 is obsolete yet and if i have a chance of getting it. I'll probably OC it just to see what max I get. If the max brings too hot of temps depending on what kind of cooling (as long as it is still in his budget which it should be) then I'd keep the OC.
September 5, 2007 2:57:45 AM

Advocate said:
o damn. I wrote my post wrong lol. I meant to say that all of the latest Q6600's are G0 stepping right? I think newegg is selling only G0 now instead of B3 but I don't know if B3 is obsolete yet and if i have a chance of getting it. I'll probably OC it just to see what max I get. If the max brings too hot of temps depending on what kind of cooling (as long as it is still in his budget which it should be) then I'd keep the OC.

In the product code on the CPU box, look for the letter sequence SLACR - these are G0 stepping. SL9UM is B3 stepping. I vaguely recall checking newegg's stock and seeing that they're only selling the SLACR stepping. B3 is still fine, though, and some companies may still have them in stock and be selling them.
September 5, 2007 3:08:37 AM

aight well thank you very much everyone for your great responses. I greatly appreciate all of it. It definitely leaned me over a bit more to the Q6600 side.
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2007 4:00:16 AM

Between the two, I'm looking at the Q6600. I'm a heavy multi-tasker and the two extras cores will be helpful in the long run.
September 5, 2007 11:53:01 AM

i went through this debate about 2 weeks ago as well.
i chose the E6850 for purely gaming reasons thats what i use my desktop for
sure in the furture the q6600 will be better with more apps running mutiple cores but by the time that is fully running intel would have released the 45 nm processors and new architecture which i feel would just make your future proof purchase redundant.

maybe im just saying this to make myself feel better
September 5, 2007 12:41:08 PM

I think it comes down to: If overclocked, the Q6600 is a better option now, even more if it's a G0 (you could easily reach 3.5, 3.6). At stock speeds, then the E6850 is better. The new games are ALREADY taking advantage of the multiple cores.
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2007 2:11:07 PM

1080 said:
i went through this debate about 2 weeks ago as well.
i chose the E6850 for purely gaming reasons thats what i use my desktop for
sure in the furture the q6600 will be better with more apps running mutiple cores but by the time that is fully running intel would have released the 45 nm processors and new architecture which i feel would just make your future proof purchase redundant.

maybe im just saying this to make myself feel better

As I've tried both, in the same rig, I agree with you mate, feel better now? :) 

P.S we are in a very small minority by the way. [:mousemonkey:7]
September 5, 2007 2:14:55 PM

Mousemonkey said:
As I've tried both, in the same rig, I agree with you mate, feel better now? :) 

P.S we are in a very small minority by the way. [:mousemonkey:7]

I am right there with ya....just built a rig around the E6850 and I could not be happier.
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2007 2:50:14 PM

E6850 is a solid cpu (well oh , so is Q6600 :D  )
September 5, 2007 9:04:58 PM

whatever you get, within 2 months something better will come along, mite as well just buy a pentium 1 ... ;) 

go q6600, i am debating q6600 or the new penryn, and however much id liek to wait, i am too damn impatient, and put it this way, give it 3 months tops, intel will have another chip that smashes the penryns...
September 5, 2007 9:39:05 PM

Q6600 G0 from Clubit.com and Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme with Scythe S-Flex 120-F fan. OC to 3G and leave EIST enabled.

Just my 2 cents for the 10th time.
September 5, 2007 9:44:31 PM

Zorg said:

Just my 2 cents for the 10th time.

2nd to that :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
September 6, 2007 4:43:42 AM

now i want the Q6600! dammit. Thanks again for all of your replies guys. I really appreciate it.
!