anosh

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Hi!
I'm about to start-up a software development company and I need a work computer.
I have parts of an older computer that can be used.

Development is made with Visual Studio and MSSql (and their future multi threaded versions).

What I need is a setup for multi threaded software where SPEED and SILENCE are the only important factors. Overclocking is welcomed and promoted.

Computer parts that can be used:
P4 820D
7800GTX in SLI
WD74 Raptor
1GB 667Mhz DDR2 Samsung
512MB 533Mhz DDR2
1 old microATX case with no exhaust holes or case fans

I do not have very much funding but am ready to invest in important components (I'm thinking in what's required for Overclocking).

texasnightowl

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
I'm very impressed by how quiet the Antec Solo case is. My "home office" has 2 fans running because it is the hottest room in my house and I can barely hear my system when I turn it on. The Antec p182/p180b are also supposed to be quiet. Maybe check out silentpcreview dot com

G

First, I'm no expert and I'm about to build my first system.

I'm basically after the same requirements (both VS2005 and SQL2005 Prof Installed). I know I cannot afford the speed of CPU I'd like so I'm going for something I can upgrade later. I'm almost done picking what I want and it looks like about $1000, keyboard, mouse, monitor, and OS, NOT included.

He's my suggestion:

GigaByte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard ($130)
It's got plenty of expansion slots and will support the new quads that Intel will release next. It will also take 8 Gigs of DDR2 1066. I'm starting out with 2 Gigs of DDR2 800. Check out what's on the boards supported list before picking your ram.

You want multi-threading then I recommend the Intel Q6600 Quad Core ($290). You could settle for a slower Core 2 Duo for now and upgrade to a much faster quad in a year from now. The E6550 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo is about $190. I'm still debating between these 2.

I'm going with a minimum 520 watt power supply that can deliver a minimum of 12V@18A. Less than 18A and you'll have problem with some graphic cards. Probably will go for the Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 (550 watts).

You'll need a graphics card. That I'm going to let the expert here offer their suggestion. I'm going for a GeForce 8500GT because the price is reasonably low and I don't need anything fancy. I'm not a gamer. This card will also handle DirectX10.

Now add to that the drives and other accessories you need.

Like I said, I'm no expert so I'll let other put in their 3 cents worth.

I hope this helps getting you started.

Alvin

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Would agree mostly with what ARamard says. The Antec Sonata III is quiet and comes with a good PSU. Could also consider an 8600GT video card if you're not gaming. The only thing you can use from the old machine would be the hdd and optical drive. If this is for work, I'd use the Raptor for OS/programs and get a 320GB to 500GB Seagate for storage. Always safer to keep data on a separate drive. If you don't have one, suggest you put together an external hdd for storage. If you're budget is really tight, you could go with AMD but it won't overclock like Intel. Could also save with onboard video if you're not gaming. What is your budget?

TRENDING THREADS