Sign in with
Your question

OEM Vista, New Hard Drive, Can I?

Last response: in Storage
January 22, 2008 3:42:42 PM

I built a computer using Vista Home Premium 64. The hard drive I have the OS on, I want to use it as an external drive, and buy a new hard drive to put the OS on. Can I take Vista OEM off the hard drive it's currently on, and put it on the new hard drive, or am I locked into using the one hard drive forever? Thank you!

More about : oem vista hard drive

January 22, 2008 3:53:07 PM

With Vista OEM you are only locked to one motherboard forever; switching HDDs should be no problem.
January 22, 2008 3:54:12 PM

You will be able to do it.

If for some reason you have to call in to perform the activiation. Be honest by telling them that you have an OEM version, and that you are simply swapping out a defective hard drive.

I had to call in and activate when I swapped my video card, and I told them I was a system builder and simply upgrading the video card for my client. No prob. :) 
Related resources
January 22, 2008 4:00:10 PM

Two One more options 1) Use Acronis / Seagate Disk Manager DiscWizard software to migrate from one drive to the other. It is free from seagate if you have one of their drives in your system (seagate or maxtor).

2) Use the OEM disk to do a clean install on the new Hard Disk. -> Select Advanced options or something like that from the upgrade and point to the new disk. If that fails (I'm not positive that it will work) you can do a clean boot from the Vista Disc, install a trial version by omitting your serial number and then upgrade the trial version to activated Home Premium by running the upgrade from inside vista.

*Edit* Sorry you said OEM not Upgrade version. Just call Micro$oft if the OEM version does not activate.

Cheers,

Cyrus
January 22, 2008 4:00:36 PM

JuiceJones said:
With Vista OEM you are only locked to one motherboard forever; switching HDDs should be no problem.

I will be challenging this soon. I hope I can convince them to activate.
January 22, 2008 4:11:17 PM

I cloned my image to a new hard drive... funny windows still wanted me to activate it again. Im glad it keeps all those tabs on my system hardware. vista is the best piece of spyware invented to date! but i have msdn and i can just activate it over and over ..... bleh...
January 22, 2008 4:26:55 PM

Thank you so much! I do have a Seagate hard drive, but want to get a larger one with more cache. I want to use the current hard drive as an external one with a E-SATA enclosure (my motherboard came with the bracket, so I figure I should put it to use). Thanks again!
January 22, 2008 4:57:59 PM

rallyimprezive said:
I will be challenging this soon. I hope I can convince them to activate.

Oo, I'd like to hear how that works out. I'd love to switch out my mother's **** Mobo and finally be able to get her proc running the way it should (having an E4400 with an after market cooler running at stock drives me nuts!), but alas, I installed Vista OEM before I knew the board wouldn't OC at all.
January 23, 2008 5:51:39 AM

I too will be wanting to set up a raid on my new build, and I also went with the builder pack for vista 64. So thanks for the info everybody, very helpful
!