Sign in with
Your question

32bit-64bit

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 4, 2011 9:57:23 PM

Is there a way I can convert windows vista 32bit to 64bit?

More about : 32bit 64bit

February 4, 2011 10:29:57 PM

Yes, but how much it's going to cost you depends on your setup.

If you purchased a prebuilt computer (Dell, HP, eMachines, etc.) with an OEM license of Windows Vista, then you'll have to purchase a new license along with a 64bit disc. If that is the case, I recommend you get Windows 7. An upgrade disc will do, they run about $100.

If you have a retail version of Windows Vista (that includes the upgrade version), then you can go to this website:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/d...

and Microsoft will send you a 64bit version of Vista for a small fee (~$10).

In any case, you will have to perform a clean install to make the move from 32bit to 64bit.
February 4, 2011 11:30:54 PM

To switch from 32 bit to 64 bit OS requires a full reinstall of the windows system - you can not do an upgrade or conversion from one to the other. So you would need to backup all of your programs and personal files - reformat the HDD and then install the 64 bit OS - then reinstall all of your programs and personal files. (also you will need 64 bit versions of the drivers for your hardware - most can be found nowadays but some older hardware is not supported so check to ensure your hardware has 64 bit drivers available before starting.)
Related resources
February 5, 2011 12:07:22 AM

rwpritchett said:
Yes, but how much it's going to cost you depends on your setup.

If you purchased a prebuilt computer (Dell, HP, eMachines, etc.) with an OEM license of Windows Vista, then you'll have to purchase a new license along with a 64bit disc. If that is the case, I recommend you get Windows 7. An upgrade disc will do, they run about $100.

If you have a retail version of Windows Vista (that includes the upgrade version), then you can go to this website:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/d...

and Microsoft will send you a 64bit version of Vista for a small fee (~$10).

In any case, you will have to perform a clean install to make the move from 32bit to 64bit.

Well I know all of that my own pc is a custom built with win 7 was just asking for my friend cause we are trying to problem solve why we cannot install win7, his win vista is showing that it doesnt have a key in when it is an emachines disc that doesnt require a key, that is what is making it un-upgradable but I am not sure how to fix it.
February 5, 2011 12:42:43 AM

You can always do the "double install" method to get a clean install of Win7 on your friend's machine. Google it, if you need instruction.
!