Sign in with
Your question

e2160 to ~3.0 on P35-DS3L?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 22, 2007 3:37:15 AM

I'm having trouble taking my e2160 very far beyond 2.4, and I was hoping to reach about 3.0, which I've heard is quite reasonable. I seem to need some help reaching my mark.

I've got a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, Crucial Ballistix (2x1GB PC6400) SDRAM DDR2 800, and an AC7 cooling the chip. There are also 4 case fans, but the chip is running a little hot (48c idle 65c load in TAT) at 2.4. Is that okay, or should I think of adding a fan in the plastic side-panel of my case + try to optimize cord placement for better air flow? I've already knocked the vcore down to its lowest stable setting.

I'm relatively new to over-clocking, so I followed the guide here on the forums (though my mobo is quite a bit different than the one in the guide). I first tried easy settings I've heard worked for some others (basically 333x9 + matching ram settings) but that wouldn't post. Testing revealed that once I start ramping up towards 280+ X 9 the system will fail to load windows or even to post at all. Playing around with the vcore has helped go from no-post to no-windows, but it's still not running stable, and then I have more heat issues.

Where do I go from here?

More about : e2160 p35 ds3l

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2007 5:32:38 AM

Have u changed the RAM and CPU voltages?
November 22, 2007 1:03:43 PM

Its that or you might have just gotten a lemon out of the bunch. Make SURE your memory multiplier is within reasonable limits. I have the SAME exact board and if you leave your mem multi on auto it just goes full bore and usually you wont go to far, or post, just try to get it close enough to 800 as possible better under than over aka 700 than 850. Relax mem timings to 5-5-5-15 rest auto, you can enter that menu by pressing CTRL+F1 once in the BIOS, the screen will flicker. Then when you go to MIT you'll see the hidden settings.

Advanced BIOS features
Make sure you have C1E,EIST and TM2 OFF. That can be found under Advanced BIOS features.

Also under PC Health status
Turn Smart fan control OFF, this will put your cpu fan full blast 24/7 (its not to loud at all).

Under M.I.T.
Make sure to set your PCI-E frequency to 100Mhz dont auto it. Obviously turn off the C.I.A2 and set performance enchance to Standard.

Also your Vcore is critical, I would leave it @ stock voltage. AKA NORMAL under CPU voltage control. I heard people getting 3.0Ghz on stock voltage and HSF.

What you could try is setting your clock to x8 (its stuck there anyways but lock it in @ x8) Then set your FSB to 375. Then set your SPD to 2.0 which means (375x2)=750Mhz for your RAM a nice little underclock cushin. Set memory at option 1, under the hidden settings 5-5-5-15 rest auto. I looked up your Ballistix ram (the yellow kind if im right?) VERY important. That RAM operates @ 2.2V so under DDR2 overvoltage control set it to +0.4 (It will be half way between white and blinking red but thats ok its rated for this.) Now with everything said and done all you should have to do it print this out and set everything like I said :kaola:  and hopefully it will boot :pt1cable: 

Let me know if any of this helps(obviously I spent a little more than a few minutes writing it :sarcastic:  . I have a E2180 @ 2.75 Ghz stock voltage and all of the power saving features on as well as a slight OC of the memory. Only reasin being is I started from the bottom up, once you achieve stability you can turn the power saving crap on one by one, checking for stability. Good luck.
Related resources
November 22, 2007 2:26:21 PM

same board, my DDR2 is showing up in CPUZ @ 532 Mhz. Does this mean 1064 effective, because that would suck. This is cheap stuff at 55518, so really loose, but still...only rated at 800. How do I set the memory multiplier to avoid crazy speeds?
November 22, 2007 2:33:33 PM

ettenra said:
same board, my DDR2 is showing up in CPUZ @ 532 Mhz. Does this mean 1064 effective, because that would suck. This is cheap stuff at 55518, so really loose, but still...only rated at 800. How do I set the memory multiplier to avoid crazy speeds?

What is your Bus speed set to?

Edit: And what was it at stock?
November 22, 2007 2:41:27 PM

E2180, M0 stepping and 10x multi. Set at 266 currently, was 200 out of the box. CPUZ also reports it as a Conroe? I can find the multi screen with all kinds of crazy numbers, I should set it to.... 2.0 in that screen? I don't remember seeing it as an option, but if that's where it's at I'll look.
November 22, 2007 2:48:56 PM

ettenra said:
E2180, M0 stepping and 10x multi. Set at 266 currently, was 200 out of the box. CPUZ also reports it as a Conroe? I can find the multi screen with all kinds of crazy numbers, I should set it to.... 2.0 in that screen? I don't remember seeing it as an option, but if that's where it's at I'll look.

To get your RAM to run at rated speed they should be 1.5x the Bus Speed. I believe the Gigabyte still uses those kind of multipliers. 266*1.5 = 400 MHz. DDR makes it 800 MHz. Oh and yes it should be in the BIOS in the same place the Bus/CPU Multiplier options are. I don't have a new gigabyte but my old i865 has it there.
November 22, 2007 8:49:55 PM

Went ahead and bumped it to 2.8ghz, solid as a rock so far. Got the multi right on the RAM, just a mild OC now, 840mhz. Thanks much!
November 23, 2007 8:34:11 PM

I had adjusted the ram as mentioned in the guide and your post. It took me a while to figure the F1 thing out, but I got it. I ran memtest a few times and it went through fine at 1.8ghz. It was stable at 2.4 as well but I still had problems at higher clocks. The more immediate but related concern to overclockability seems to be heat.

Maybe it's just freakishly hot, or maybe it could be something like the grease or heatsink coverage. It was running a little hotter than I mentioned in my first post after about 20 minutes of TAT... close to 63C at stock speed. I've seen better temps from people using the stock cooler and overclocking significantly, and I'm using an AC7 on a stock speed chip. This is at about .5 below normal vcore. I was leaving it on normal when I tried higher speeds which made it even worse.

Idle @1.8ghz it runs 50-54C, so when it goes active at overclock speeds, it quickly reaches temperatures that I'm not comfortable with. After stopping it drops down almost as fast as it went up. This would seem to indicate the heat is being drawn away, right? My heatsink is warm to the touch and the air coming out of the case is cool... I don't know where all this heat is coming from. My power supply fan does blow down on it, but that's warm air at worst, and it's got a case fan on either side of it. I still have two spare case fans and can modify the case side, but the problem seems to be at the source.
November 23, 2007 9:06:05 PM

Wow Idle @ 50-54 is something very wrong. I would remove the HSF,clean it, re-apply your paste, and make sure your push each pin diagonally aka 1-3-2-4 so its not in a clockwise fashion. And check the other side of your mobo to see if the pins went through all the way. To run that hot on idle sounds like a loose mount job.
November 23, 2007 10:43:06 PM

bildo123 said:
Wow Idle @ 50-54 is something very wrong. I would remove the HSF,clean it, re-apply your paste, and make sure your push each pin diagonally aka 1-3-2-4 so its not in a clockwise fashion. And check the other side of your mobo to see if the pins went through all the way. To run that hot on idle sounds like a loose mount job.
Yeah, that's about what I guessed, but I've never had this problem, so I wanted to make sure it was as abnormal as it seemed. I figured the answer would probably involve removing the mobo and heatsink (which means removing everything else). It's not something I look forward to, though. Even with a static wristguard I'm always scared I'm going to mess something up when I handle it. And those pins... so hard to push in I feel like the mobo is going to snap. Otherwise I love this stuff.
---------------------
Edit: Re-seated heatsink and temps dropped substantially but still seem a tad warm. I'm running @2.4 (stable thanks to the above ram suggestions) with temps around 60C under load. I plan to push it in a week or so, but for now I'm happy with this. Thanks for your help.
!