Sign in with
Your question

XP HDD into Vista Computer?

Last response: in Storage
January 22, 2008 11:11:51 PM

hey guys, my friend just got a vista system from his old xp computer not working
he needed some files from the XP HDD so i was wondering if its okay to put the XP HDD into the vista computer to get the files.
THANKS FOR HELP

More about : hdd vista computer

January 27, 2008 12:09:35 AM

*bump*?
January 27, 2008 12:44:13 AM

it should be fine, worst come to worst if it does give you problems when booting because of xp being on there, then download the ubuntu live cd and use gparted to remove the boot flag from the drive.
Related resources
January 27, 2008 12:52:47 AM

antohnee said:
hey guys, my friend just got a vista system from his old xp computer not working
he needed some files from the XP HDD so i was wondering if its okay to put the XP HDD into the vista computer to get the files.
THANKS FOR HELP

Unless you want everything to run slower and need more ram on top of that -or demand- DX that basicly nobody uses...stay with XP.
Vista with it DRM crap and slowness sucks butt.
Any "security" added by Vista also only works with the 64 bit OS and only in 64 bit mode.

Vista is the M.E. of this deacades MS OS.
a b G Storage
January 27, 2008 1:08:16 AM

What eagles said.
January 27, 2008 2:16:19 AM

thanks, as long as doing it doesnt corrupt any files, ill be fine
January 27, 2008 2:49:01 AM

It will be 100% fine they use the same file system. Also you should take ZoldDude as just another Vista Hate ranter. His security comments are also not true and DRM hasn't interfered with anything that I ever done.
a b G Storage
January 27, 2008 3:08:17 AM

bydesign said:
It will be 100% fine they use the same file system. Also you should take ZoldDude as just another Vista Hate ranter. His security comments are also not true and DRM hasn't interfered with anything that I ever done.

Agreed. X2.

The anti-Vista comment didn't even answer your question! LOL
Love Vista, just use it on a powerful PC.

If by chance the Vista drive fails to boot this means the BIOS is trying to boot the XP drive instead. Just go into BIOS and set the Vista drive as the 'first drive' in the drive order. Then Vista will boot and you can grab your files off the old XP drive.
January 27, 2008 3:08:51 AM

yeah, i personally like vista, but i switched back to xp pro because vista seemed like it liked to thrash my hdd and tax my cpu at 80-100 percent every now and then for no reason. got really annoying.
a b G Storage
January 27, 2008 3:16:24 AM

The Vista haters will be running XP for the rest of their lives. Future versions of windows will be way more like Vista than their antiquated XP. Vista is pushing the hardware limits of older systems and it broke a lot of software and hardware/drivers. Tough luck. The machine moves on.

Corporate users are correct to move slow. But for consumers with powerful new systems Vista is BETTER than XP. Use a lot of RAM. Vista 64 screams on my 6 gig.

The UAC is no fun but it's a necessary evil - you can shut it off if you want. Never seen any trace of effect from the "nasty' DRM.
January 27, 2008 7:42:54 PM

lol yeah Zoldude, i appreciate the help even though it had nothing to do with my question

personally, i think Vista is an ok OS. im sticking with XP for now, but ill probably swith to Vista in the future when its more developed
!